Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know specifically what she might have done to violate the Honor Code. In the case of rape, my best guess (and that's all it is) is that it concerned her not dressing "modestly" enough. The Honor Code is really pretty strict in that respect, so it probably wouldn't have taken much to break it. Shorts or a skirt even an inch above the knee or a sleeveless shirt could probably have done it.
I could not see from what we know what the reasoning was, but you may be right.

Quote:
I don't believe anyone is "defending" the rapist here. I do, however, see BYU as trying to implicate the woman as well as the man, and this is what should not have happened. It wasn't her fault she was raped. Period. The end. There has been a lot in the way of student protests concerning this action at BYU, and I'm just glad to see that so many of the students aren't buying into any suggestion that the victim could have done anything to keep what happened to her from happening. My gut feel is that their protests and the media coverage are actually going to accomplish something, and that this is the last time we're going to see something of this sort happen at BYU.
Actually, the sheriff's deputy, who was a friend of the rapist, turned over the case file to BYU. That almost sounds like the infamous "knowledge reports" of Scientology in practice. It's illegal, and the deputy should be sanctioned for it. He betrayed a public trust, and assisted in the re-victimization of the poor girl.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I could not see from what we know what the reasoning was, but you may be right.

Actually, the sheriff's deputy, who was a friend of the rapist, turned over the case file to BYU. That almost sounds like the infamous "knowledge reports" of Scientology in practice. It's illegal, and the deputy should be sanctioned for it. He betrayed a public trust, and assisted in the re-victimization of the poor girl.
How's about you call the offices at BYU and ask....since you're so concerned?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How's about you call the offices at BYU and ask....since you're so concerned?
I'd probably get as much information as I would get from you if a member of your congregation had an issue with you and your church.

Or would you provide anyone that information at any time?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know specifically what she might have done to violate the Honor Code. In the case of rape, my best guess (and that's all it is) is that it concerned her not dressing "modestly" enough. The Honor Code is really pretty strict in that respect, so it probably wouldn't have taken much to break it. Shorts or a skirt even an inch above the knee or a sleeveless shirt could probably have done it.

I don't believe anyone is "defending" the rapist here. I do, however, see BYU as trying to implicate the woman as well as the man, and this is what should not have happened. It wasn't her fault she was raped. Period. The end. There has been a lot in the way of student protests concerning this action at BYU, and I'm just glad to see that so many of the students aren't buying into any suggestion that the victim could have done anything to keep what happened to her from happening. My gut feel is that their protests and the media coverage are actually going to accomplish something, and that this is the last time we're going to see something of this sort happen at BYU.

Good points, cannot rep

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
And that's fine for a personal conviction. My issue was with how it's applied to others. People who don't think sex between non-married couples or people is bad are often looked down upon, sometimes even seen as bad people, by those who do.

And I'm not saying it's a mormon problem. It exists throughout Christianity, and other religions. Also, I'm sure plenty of Mormons or any other religious group member probably don't care what other people do. Some do though and I have a problem with that. Sex shouldn't be seen in such a negative light.
Well, I would agree with you that's it's definitely a personal choice, and that nobody has the right to judge anybody else's moral choices.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
What has the university done regarding the perpetrator? Was he barred from registration, too, for breaking the honor code, while the investigation is pending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant;
Well they would have to be making the claim that she was not living / behaving in a "chaste and virtuous" manner and/or observing dress and grooming standards. In other words it's the old saw that rape wouldn't happen if there were longer skirts and less cleavage and certainly no drinking and partying.
Right. The (eventually) jailed head of the FLDS church married a 12-year-old because of her cleavage and her ankle showing temptingly from under her skirt.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What has the university done regarding the perpetrator? Was he barred from registration, too, for breaking the honor code, while the investigation is pending?
The perpetrator, Nasiru Seidu, age 39 and married, was not a BYU student. He is not bound by the BYU Honor Code, but he is bound by the laws of the state of Utah.

Quote:
Right. The (eventually) jailed head of the FLDS church married a 12-year-old because of her cleavage and her ankle showing temptingly from under her skirt.
Yeah, but this thread isn't about the FLDS Church any more than it's about the Catholic Church. Female students at BYU may be required to dress "modestly," but that hardly means that they wear the "prairie-style" dresses of the FLDS.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-21-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 12:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Perhaps she's not being punished due to the rape, but for another issue, and it's being reported incorrectly. I have no clue. I'm just asking the question because I cannot conceive of that happening.
I'm confused too. Did she tell the school she got raped and that is why she needed to drop perhaps more than the allowed number of courses that she was doing poorly in... or what is going on?

Perhaps schools are entitled to know about investigations and accusations involving their students (although the police being friends with the accused possible rapist is rather unethical).

Well, I actually didn't read the article, so perhaps the answer are there.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Some rapists - and from what I am seeing, a huge number of pedos - blame the victim because that is how they are able to condone the act. She or he "secretly wanted" it, etc. Hell, we have a thread right now calmly and academically wondering whether a middle schooler wanted to be attacked sexually with a knife at her throat and whether it was "part of a game" and "consensual."

In order to not feel like monsters, rapists will turn things around on the victim. If only she hadn't worn x he never would have had to attack her. If only she didn't wear lip gloss like a wh*re. If only she didn't giggle. If only she didn't have breasts. Was it "really rape" - maybe she only cried because she felt guilty for wanting it so much. And so on.

I have found that eerily, it's, at least lately, some churches specifically who back this view in either words or, as in the case with the example in this thread, actions. It really makes you wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality