Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times

Advertisements

What the heck is going on in the USA that twice in the past week now leaders of religious communities are blaming victims?

This time, Brigham Young University, the Mormon university in Utah, is discplining a student for reporting a rape to the police, because, get this, breaking the University's 'Honor Code'.

From the article:

Last year, Sophomore Madi Barney, 19, reported an alleged sexual assault to police in Provo, Utah and soon after was told by BYU officials that she had broken the school's honor code.

Barney said she was neither allowed to register the following semester nor drop out of a few classes she had fallen behind in during that semester due to the alleged incident and subsequent investigation.

Please tell me that we are in the 21st Century. Why would BYU re-victimize a rape victim? They held a disciplinary hearing at BYU!

What is going on? This kind of stuff in absolutely inexcusable.

Read the article, as there are few other unbelievable things there, including the Sheriff deputy sending the case file to BYU. Why? Because he was friends with the rapist!

This is wrong on so many levels. Where is the Mormon church in condemning this, and NOW!

BYU student punished for allegedly being raped - UPI.com

Edit:

The Honor Code can be read here. There is nothing that covers this. Hypocrites!

https://policy.byu.edu/view/index.php?p=26

Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 AM

11,022 posts, read 5,981,700 times
This is disturbing!

Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 AM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The Honor Code can be read here. There is nothing that covers this. Hypocrites!

https://policy.byu.edu/view/index.php?p=26
Well they would have to be making the claim that she was not living / behaving in a "chaste and virtuous" manner and/or observing dress and grooming standards. In other words it's the old saw that rape wouldn't happen if there were longer skirts and less cleavage and certainly no drinking and partying.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:01 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
I wish universities, public, private, religious, all of them could accept the fact that the less you do about limiting sexual assault, the worse it gets. Rarely does it get better.

If they were to come out strong and supportive of victims who file a report from the start, it could help lower the exploding number of sexual assault crimes.

I think a big problem is the culture of alcohol, drugs and partying colliding with social media. It's amplified the whole "jacka*s" antics of trying to do the craziest thing on snap chat.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well they would have to be making the claim that she was not living / behaving in a "chaste and virtuous" manner and/or observing dress and grooming standards. In other words it's the old saw that rape wouldn't happen if there were longer skirts and less cleavage and certainly no drinking and partying.
The funny thing (well, not funny) is that here we have got off that to arguing that even prostitutes have the right not to be raped or their profession used against then in rape cases. The religious bodies have some catching -up to do, or rather they have some powers of judgement to be deprived of, since they seem to be unfit to exercise them.

And that's our agenda.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:08 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,975 times
I'm confused as to what code she broke. The only thing I can think of is their chastity clause, and they're using one of two arguments. The first being the more horrific in that rape is sex and thus she broke the honor code. The other is less horrific, but still pretty bad, which is that there's the assumption the because she had a boy at her apartment (which in no way has to imply sex), she secretly wanted it at least a little.

I've never understood the deeply religious' hatred of sex. Sex is an important part of human health. It's fine to practice some level of purity and being more selective about your partners. In fact, that may help prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies as those who only engage in sex with people they know well will likely do a better job of communicating exactly what the intentions are than two people who are just in a hook up would. But to act like the desire for sex is a bad thing is just so strange to me.

BYU has some messed up standards of sexual morality, I'll leave it at that.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:55 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
This is disturbing!
That's an understatement. Just one of many reasons you couldn't have paid me to attend BYU.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:03 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I've never understood the deeply religious' hatred of sex. Sex is an important part of human health. It's fine to practice some level of purity and being more selective about your partners. In fact, that may help prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancies as those who only engage in sex with people they know well will likely do a better job of communicating exactly what the intentions are than two people who are just in a hook up would. But to act like the desire for sex is a bad thing is just so strange to me.

BYU has some messed up standards of sexual morality, I'll leave it at that.
Mormons don't "hate sex," but they do believe it should only be between married people. Personally, I don't see that as "messed up." On the other hand, there is never a good reason to blame the victim of rape. Regardless of what the girl did, she didn't ask to be raped. The BYU Honor Code should never have been brought into this matter.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormons don't "hate sex," but they do believe it should only be between married people. Personally, I don't see that as "messed up." On the other hand, there is never a good reason to blame the victim of rape. Regardless of what the girl did, she didn't ask to be raped. The BYU Honor Code should never have been brought into this matter.
I posted the Honor Code after reading it, and I can't see how it can even be construed to applying to her. It's perplexing and disturbing.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I posted the Honor Code after reading it, and I can't see how it can even be construed to applying to her. It's perplexing and disturbing.
is it POSSIBLE that you don't know all the facts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality