Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think a lot of what is practiced in conservative denominations in the U.S. is not really Christianity but is another religion altogether called 'Republicanity' which is basically a cocktail of historic Christianity, right-wing politics, and hyper-patriotism. Here are a few things I can think of that are a sign your church is actually practicing Republicanity and not Christianity.
  • If a church teaches "lying for Jesus" is okay i.e. knowingly spreading false information or half-truths about various issues such as science, homosexuality, role of Christianity in America's founding, Obama, etc to promote a right-wing agenda, its probably Republicanity.
  • If a church consistently parallels 21st century America with Old Testament Israel, its probably Republicanity
  • If a church places a much higher importance on supporting war and the military than it does giving to the poor and needy, it's probably Republicanity.
  • If people are outraged and disgusted by LGBT people but turn a blind eye to divorce and remarriage, its probably Republicanity
  • If a person opposes abortion yet wants to make it more difficult to adopt children, they are probably practicing Republicanity.
  • If a person's image of the ideal Christian life is an affluent family life in suburbia, it's probably Republicanity
  • If a person believes the 1950s were the golden age of America and the peak of God's blessing on our country, they are probably practicing Republicanity
  • If a person believes the "blessings of God" promised in the Bible is material wealth, they are probably practicing Republicanity
  • If a person believes either George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan were "men of God", they are definitely practicing Republicanity.
Thoughts? Does anybody else have anything to add?

Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Personally, I think a lot of what is practiced in conservative denominations in the U.S. is not really Christianity but is another religion altogether called 'Republicanity' which is basically a cocktail of historic Christianity, right-wing politics, and hyper-patriotism. Here are a few things I can think of that are a sign your church is actually practicing Republicanity and not Christianity.
  • If a church teaches "lying for Jesus" is okay i.e. knowingly spreading false information or half-truths about various issues such as science, homosexuality, role of Christianity in America's founding, Obama, etc to promote a right-wing agenda, its probably Republicanity.
  • If a church consistently parallels 21st century America with Old Testament Israel, its probably Republicanity
  • If a church places a much higher importance on supporting war and the military than it does giving to the poor and needy, it's probably Republicanity.
  • If people are outraged and disgusted by LGBT people but turn a blind eye to divorce and remarriage, its probably Republicanity
  • If a person opposes abortion yet wants to make it more difficult to adopt children, they are probably practicing Republicanity.
  • If a person's image of the ideal Christian life looks like the American nuclear family in the 1950s i.e. Leave it to Beaver or Father Knows Best, they are probably practicing Republicanity
  • If a person believes the "blessings of God" promised in the Bible is material wealth, they are probably practicing Republicanity
  • If a person believes either George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan were "men of God", they are definitely practicing Republicanity.
Thoughts? Does anybody else have anything to add?
I've seen some strange combinations of Christianity and Democrat politics. Maybe we can call it Demoncranity. They also have their non-Biblical positions on all of those issues, as well. It's human nature to assume that our political positions are akin to godliness. Maybe instead of expecting God to agree with us we ought to be asking what God has said about it.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
You may both have a point. Religion can be co -opted for all sorts of purposes. I definitely get the impression though that religion is a cornerstone of Republican politics in a way it is not for the Democrats. Just as Conservatives are seen here as being more religion -oriented than Labour, or indeed liberal. I would bet that Ukip is religious as well, particularly playing the 'Christianity under threat from Islamic immigration' card.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You may both have a point. Religion can be co -opted for all sorts of purposes. I definitely get the impression though that religion is a cornerstone of Republican politics in a way it is not for the Democrats. Just as Conservatives are seen here as being more religion -oriented than Labour, or indeed liberal. I would bet that Ukip is religious as well, particularly playing the 'Christianity under threat from Islamic immigration' card.
Yes--there is a Religious Right in America. But on the other hand, I have a lot of religious family (Catholic) that are very Democrat, politically. They really appreciate the social programs such as Obamacare.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Organized religion has always been about politics, especially right-wing politics: keeping the lower classes and slaves "in their place," justifying wars against the "other," keeping the ruling classes or royal family in power, justifying oppression and systemic injustce, blaming victims, etc.

Republicanity is nothing new.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Organized religion has always been about politics, especially right-wing politics: keeping the lower classes and slaves "in their place," justifying wars against the "other," keeping the ruling classes or royal family in power, justifying oppression and systemic injustce, blaming victims, etc.

Republicanity is nothing new.
Believe it or not...we pastors don't have secret meetings to gameplan how we are going to keep the plebes under our thumbs.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Believe it or not...we pastors don't have secret meetings to gameplan how we are going to keep the plebes under our thumbs.
But the politicians do. And religion is a handy way to do it.

Btw I culled this bit about Ukrap...

"The MEP argued that the working classes are being forced to "bear the brunt of excessive immigration," as he frankly listed who he would, and would not want, in Ukip's Britain.

This included Muslims who speak no English and wear the veil, because “it makes people feel deeply uncomfortable."

“When people say Ukip is racist, it makes me laugh. Look at our intern,” he said as he pointed to the young woman delivering a cup of tea. “She’s half Hindu!”

Farage told the newspaper that fear of causing offence drives the “Notting Hill claptrap about diversity”.

“We need a much more muscular defence of our Judaeo-Christian heritage," he states, adding he only goes to church about four times a year.

"Yes, we’re open to different cultures but we have to defend our values," he argued.

That’s the message I want to hear from the Archbishop of Canterbury and from our politicians. Anything less is appeasement of the worst kind
."

Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes--there is a Religious Right in America. But on the other hand, I have a lot of religious family (Catholic) that are very Democrat, politically. They really appreciate the social programs such as Obamacare.
The RCC has always struck me as overall more commodious to liberal politics, despite that they have their own conservative wing and are quite retrograde at least officially on birth control and abortion and the like. Liberal Protestants are probably less conflicted in leaning left, I'd think.

The open question is which connections are more pervasive. I don't think the connections are 100% religious. Recent research suggests that conservative politics is more a function of authoritarian mindsets that religion plays into / encourages / enables, than it is religion directly.

Which is more important to you, an obedient child or a child who can think independently? If the former then you are probably authoritarian and your authoritarian tendencies will be particularly "activated" by certain perceived existential threats, particularly attack or infiltration by perceived outsiders coupled with too much unwanted social change.

On the other hand the liberal protestant and RCC folks are going to have their hearts bleed for the disadvantaged, hungry and poor, and are going to cherry pick the "when you do it to the least of these you do it to me" kinds of sentiments in the NT, because they are wired in a non-authoritarian way that leans toward compassion more than preservation of self, the "establishment" or status quo.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The RCC has always struck me as overall more commodious to liberal politics, despite that they have their own conservative wing and are quite retrograde at least officially on birth control and abortion and the like. Liberal Protestants are probably less conflicted in leaning left, I'd think.

The open question is which connections are more pervasive. I don't think the connections are 100% religious. Recent research suggests that conservative politics is more a function of authoritarian mindsets that religion plays into / encourages / enables, than it is religion directly.

Which is more important to you, an obedient child or a child who can think independently? If the former then you are probably authoritarian and your authoritarian tendencies will be particularly "activated" by certain perceived existential threats, particularly attack or infiltration by perceived outsiders coupled with too much unwanted social change.

On the other hand the liberal protestant and RCC folks are going to have their hearts bleed for the disadvantaged, hungry and poor, and are going to cherry pick the "when you do it to the least of these you do it to me" kinds of sentiments in the NT, because they are wired in a non-authoritarian way that leans toward compassion more than preservation of self, the "establishment" or status quo.
Not a bad commentary on it. I agree in large part. And to answer your question regarding what type of child I want....I teach my kids to think critically. I don't want a kid that will simply regurgitate my opinions. I don't believe that someone is a Christian simply by repeating the mantra they've been taught. I believe God wants people that actually believe. Likewise, I want me kid to understand why they hold the beliefs they do.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 PM

605 posts, read 491,693 times
I like the choice of "definitely" for the last item on the list there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality