Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Then you really don't get it. You want to break laws and impose your personal religious views on others. In the case of the cake bigot, he lost because his religious freedom would take away his customer's freedom. People claimed it was their religious freedom to not serve black Americans. Those bigots lost too!
So his religious freedom to refuse to participate in the celebration of an event that he considers morally wrong is overruled by this completely made-up freedom to a cake. Yay for America that we are now at this stage.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have a constitutional right to be treated equally in public accommodations. Boom.
It's never been about you, or any person except the baker--who has a moral and religious right to not participate in an immoral activity if his convictions prevent him.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's never been about you, or any person except the baker--who has a moral and religious right to not participate in an immoral activity if his convictions prevent him.
They do not participate. They bake.

Your argument is specious. I have never heard of a JW baker refusing to bake birthday, or holiday cake.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not the issue. The Buyer is also free to stop buying goods and services at any time they choose. For most of human history nobody bought anything, ever. Also...there are very few goods one MUST have. A fancy cake certainly isn't one of them. One does not need a wedding reception either.
This point is moot.

Any specific Buyer can OPENLY discriminate against any specific Seller...but the Seller must oblige all Buyers. I even gave the example.
Not fair. Not equal.
It's not the issue? If I choose to be the seller, then how is it unfair that I am required to follow the same laws every seller must follow?

It would be unfair if some sellers offering goods and services to the public were required to follow a particular law but other sellers were not. But, that is not the case.

I continue to think your argument is ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Your argument is specious. I have never heard of a JW baker refusing to bake birthday, or holiday cake.
We've argued this before. You have your opinion, I have mine--and I happen to side with the bakers. Your desire for a cake for an event does not supercede my rights to my religious convictions. I realize the SCOTUS disagrees, but they are wrong. They have been wrong before, as most liberals would agree.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:38 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The courts disagree with your legal opinion.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Exactly.

Now if bakers were forced to wave flags, cheer, ring a bell and kiss the couple in "celebration" as they handed the cake over that would be different.

It isn't. What the bakers are "forced" to do is...bake. Like they're already doing all day long.

I mean go figure.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The courts disagree with your legal opinion.
They sure do.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's not the issue? If I choose to be the seller, then how is it unfair that I am required to follow the same laws every seller must follow?

It would be unfair if some sellers offering goods and services to the public were required to follow a particular law but other sellers were not. But, that is not the case.

I continue to think your argument is ridiculous.
I am saying that IMO those laws are unfair. And I explained why.
When you allow one party to a business transaction to be able to discriminate against the other without consequences...but bust the other party to the transaction for doing nothing different...that is not fair or equal.
And that is, in fact, how the law now is there.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:30 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What prevented that Same Sex Couple from just going to another place?
What prevented black people from just going to another place? What prevented women from going to another place? What prevented the atheist from going to another place?

You're argument is just plain ridiculous. You go into business KNOWING what the laws are. If you choose to do it anyways, then follow the laws. End of story. Don't like them? Don't open a business.

I understand as a business owner, you may think differently than most people on this issue. That doesn't change reality though. It is not discrimination to choose where to buy a cake. It is discrimination if you are told that you are not allowed to buy a cake because you are a gay couple. You seem to not understand the difference.

I have asked you this before, and you have never really answered, so I'll ask again.

Where do you draw the line? Are you fine with ALL businesses discriminating against anyone they choose, or only certain ones? Are you okay with a gay couple being told they can't rent an apartment because they are gay? Are you okay with the lone black family in a town of 1,000 being refused business everywhere nearby? Are you fine with someone being forced to drive 30 miles outside of their town to go grocery shopping because they only store closer doesn't serve their kind?

If you are not okay with even 1 of these things, then you made my point. If you are okay with all of this, then you are showing your true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality