Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:19 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

You can listen to Hubbard's own words. He laughs about it being all fake, but like most con artists, gets his subjects to believe it is all their idea, not his.

https://youtu.be/FsshJH5ToUE

He says:
"I’m just kidding you mostly,’ he said. ‘I don’t believe any of these things and I don’t want to be agreed with about them … All I’m asking is that we take a look at this information, and … let’s see if we can’t disagree with this universe, just a little bit."
Listen for yourself the whole 4 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 11:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Well, some years ago I heard one of the local angry radio blowhards going off on some fringe religion of some celebrity (I forget who and what - but I don't think it was Scientology). However, the point stands. I'll never forget his exact words, dripping with contempt:

"That's not even a real religion! It's just a made-up one!"

Scientology undoubtedly has adherents who buy into all its assertions and undoubtedly some who don't but are just cynically using it for their own ends. I fail to see how this differentiates it from any other religion. Every religion surely was founded in whole or in part by people knowingly making things up and falsely claiming to believe what they were selling. The fact that I find it more obnoxious that some other faiths has no bearing on whether it is 'real'.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 PM

429 posts, read 391,015 times
IT was invented by a science fiction writer. He was not a prophet, leader or spiritual figure. You look at Jesus, he was a political and spiritual figure; just like many Hebrew prophets whose teachings form the Torah. Hubbard wrote fiction fantasy. They talk about aliens and some really weird stuff. It has no sound structure or basis. It's a combination of New Age, sci fi and pop psychology. There's no real tradition that has any meaning as in Christianity and Judaism.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Lol -- I guess he doesn't realize they're ALL made up.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
[Scientology] was invented by a science fiction writer. He was not a prophet, leader or spiritual figure.
He was a tax evader, mainly. He lived on a large boat at sea for years to evade the IRS. He got some of his followers to crew it for nothing in exchange for sitting at his feet so they could listen to his drivel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
It's a combination of New Age, sci fi and pop psychology. There's no real tradition that has any meaning as in Christianity and Judaism.
A fair characterization, although I have come to the opinion that the Judeo-Christian traditions have more meaning than Scientology only in a "twice nothing is still nothing" kind of way.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
It's as "real" as any other religion. Right up there with Pastafarianism and the rest of the mainstream ones.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, some years ago I heard one of the local angry radio blowhards going off on some fringe religion of some celebrity (I forget who and what - but I don't think it was Scientology). However, the point stands. I'll never forget his exact words, dripping with contempt:

Scientology undoubtedly has adherents who buy into all its assertions and undoubtedly some who don't but are just cynically using it for their own ends. I fail to see how this differentiates it from any other religion. Every religion surely was founded in whole or in part by people knowingly making things up and falsely claiming to believe what they were selling. The fact that I find it more obnoxious that some other faiths has no bearing on whether it is 'real'.
As are all of them. In another 1000 years it will likely be taken as seriously as Christianity or Islam.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He was a tax evader, mainly. He lived on a large boat at sea for years to evade the IRS. He got some of his followers to crew it for nothing in exchange for sitting at his feet so they could listen to his drivel.
I thought we were talking Hubbard, not Noah. The Bible, version 4.3. Sequels struggle against the original.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's as "real" as any other religion. Right up there with Pastafarianism and the rest of the mainstream ones.
Now you have done it. The Holy Noodle will get you.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,251,230 times
Hmmmm. A "religion" started by a science-fiction writer.....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality