Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:52 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Every now and then we get one of these people who claims that Christians just use faith-based systems, and agnostics/atheists put their faith in science, which only deal in evidence.

The difference being there is a different language of evidence. Religion uses logic and philosophy not proofs and formulas.
Lost me at "religion uses logic".

Old 05-14-2016, 04:25 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Lost me at "religion uses logic".
I missed that one! Well, I saw it but it didn't register.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:44 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Before we skin bulmabriefs144 alive let's acknowledge that there is a problem. This antidepressant issue is a little too close to home for me to ignore. My son (my late son) was put on antidepressants that pushed him over the edge! When they made him worse - suicidal - he called in and was told to increase the dose! This led to a complete break down. One from which he never fully recovered.

A while after his suicide I looked up this drug and it stated quite clearly that if any adverse conditions were noted that one should stop the medication immediately. Was this a later update in the contra-indications or was it negligence on the part of the practitioners? I suspect the former but cannot be sure. The point being that antidepressants are dangerous drugs and I suspect they are being pushed onto an unsuspecting medical profession and public without sufficient evaluation.

So what is the problem? As stated already, corporations paying for the desired outcome!

I have been put on drugs that had not been fully evaluated with negative end results. I nearly had a break down! I noticed that the contra-indications have been updated to state not for long term use. I wasn't the only one with long term use problems!
There most certainly is a problem with antidepressants and influence from big corps, and in this case specifically, big pharma. And as skepticratic rightly points out....science is actually the source of the criticism being used to argue it.

Yet we know where this comes from ultimately. That somehow this is supposed to prove right wing ideology, religion, and low taxes for the biggest benefactors of our society. And somehow this attracts a population in desperate need of education to do jobs they aren't qualified for...nor have any realistic shot at affording on the Mcjobs they have been forced to work themselves into.

The sooner we take Healthcare, and specifically mental health, out of the profit making business....the better we'll all be for it.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If I ever need any demolition done, remind me not to call you.

This article references drug "studies" done by pharmaceutical companies. It is a well known fact that commercial enterprises are not objective. That is why tobacco companies published "research" that "proved" smoking was harmless. That is why the fossil fuel industry published "research" "proving" that climate change was a hoax and/or not related to human activity.

Try to learn the difference between people being paid to force outcomes and those doing actual science.
And you don't think that other branches of science besides chemistry/biology cover their results? You stopped short of looking at all results. The Pasteur article is especially telling. Here is a scientist suppressing his own and other's findings, not because they are not valid, but because they conflict with personal beliefs. And nevermind it's on facebook, it's a verbatim copy of writing posted on an earlier site, which was mysteriously removed.

History is 6000 years old. Not because history is actually 6000 B.C. but because Muslims make up a large portion of historians. They have that date as part of their Quran, which is believed infallible, so that date is set. Evolution only goes one way, so OPArts (out of place artifacts) are often categorically denied. That's just history.

Every scientist is human, and every human has desires. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that when money or power is involved, research that is inconvenient will get covered up.

Read all my links, even the ones that seem sorta shaky, then you can tell me how I did demolishing stuff.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Every scientist is human, and every human has desires. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that when money or power is involved, research that is inconvenient will get covered up.
Yeah. No arguments there. It is reasonable to assume but we need to be careful to check our facts and withhold judgments until we do have confirmed evidence.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
lmao.

religion nor science are not the problem. Its people. When the dishonest atheist (and we have them here) can use science to honestly show the most reasonable conclusions that are not emotionally based then we can talk about "honest science".

It aint happening because the the bell curve says we will have, mentals, fundies/milli, and abused people shouting the normals down.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
The Pasteur article is especially telling. Here is a scientist suppressing his own and other's findings, not because they are not valid, but because they conflict with personal beliefs.
Louis Pasteur helped develop science of bacteriology / discovered the Law of Biogenesis / invented fermentation control / developed vaccinations and immunizations. Knock him all you want with the ignorant creationist science hater BS, but he contributed more than you or religion could ever contribute in a lifetime.

There is no credible sources that back up your claims about Louis Pasteur.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao.

religion nor science are not the problem. Its people. When the dishonest atheist (and we have them here) can use science to honestly show the most reasonable conclusions that are not emotionally based then we can talk about "honest science".

It ain't happening because the the bell curve says we will have, mentals, fundies/milli, and abused people shouting the normals down.
In my assessment, it is mostly the fundamentalists and religious zealots who doing the shouting down. I could be wrong and if you show where I am wrong I will accept it.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
In my assessment, it is mostly the fundamentalists and religious zealots who doing the shouting down. I could be wrong and if you show where I am wrong I will accept it.
No need to think you're wrong, in fact you are actually spot on.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao.

It aint happening because the the bell curve says we will have, mentals, fundies/milli, and abused people shouting the normals down.
I agree that people are the problem, but I don't agree with your assessment.

Science isn't being corrupted by dishonest people. Not widely anyway. The problem you identified does exist, to a point, but I don't believe it to be a wide spread as you think. Most of the issues with science currently come down to funding and reporting, both of which are usually totally out of the scientists control. A lab can't get funding to repeat the tests, for example. The Today Show makes ridiculous assumptions after skimming a scientific journal. These are issues with science.

To briefly touch on your point about ethics, which I would have to touch on or else I'm not doing my job, there is a problem with that sometimes. But the problems are usually not widespread or is stemming from a need for funding. APA, for example, is totally unwilling to study homosexuality. A former head guy (don't remember is actual title so forgive my stupid filler words), who was a strong advocate for removing homosexuality as being a mental disorder, believe being gay is a choice. One that should be respected (he supports gay marriage and all that), but one that should also be understood since he admits that there is limited evidence on what makes someone gay because so many are unwilling to risk finding results they don't want to hear. It does happen, but I also think that it's only in exceptional cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality