Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I chose a neural cell for a reason. It is what produces our consciousness, just as we produce God's consciousness.
Who is "we", in this context? Does that include dogs, birds, spiders, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:05 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Who is "we", in this context? Does that include dogs, birds, spiders, etc?
"We" includes all sources of consciousness. There are levels of consciousness within our own bodies (unconscious, subconscious, autonomic, etc.) so why would there not be such within the God that we are merely a part of?

Old 07-01-2016, 05:41 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
"We" includes all sources of consciousness. There are levels of consciousness within our own bodies (unconscious, subconscious, autonomic, etc.) so why would there not be such within the God that we are merely a part of?
There are different levels of electricity in a TV, so why would there not be such in the universal TV that we are merely a part of? Well, mainly because there's no reason to think that just because parts of the universe contain TVs that demonstrates that the entire universe is. Same problem with consciousness.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
There are different levels of electricity in a TV, so why would there not be such in the universal TV that we are merely a part of? Well, mainly because there's no reason to think that just because parts of the universe contain TVs that demonstrates that the entire universe is. Same problem with consciousness.
Watching the discussion again. Seeing the nub of the matter arising.

Not calling everything "God" and then declaring that God exists - nobody is going to be fooled by that - but the link between matter and the human consciousness that is the evidence for "God" (the caveat quotes is Mystic's trademark for his god -claim). That link is animal consciousness. Mystic is, or so I recall, a bit evasive about that.

To be fair, I have to flag up the idea of wangling ideas and meanings as well as semantics.

Mystic, I think, does (or did) argue that consciousness exists throughout the universe (indeed it is the universe - which is why he calls it "God"). Human conscious is obviously of a different order or "God" would be spiritually educating the earthworms and mealybugs, too. So, consciousness concentrates, like a crowd of gnats under a shady tree, in humans to provide a more powerful bunch of Consciousness that puts ours apart from animal consciousness and indeed the mere physical reactions of matter that we in our ignorant concrete mode of thinking fail to perceive as Obviously "God".

And blow me, if in describing Mystic's hypothesis, I haven't debunked it. Or maybe not - what do you geniuses think?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-01-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 07-01-2016, 06:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Similarly, the wrong order of the creation and specifically the sun an moon made after the light they produced had been made had to be explained in various ingenious ways. Nobody is more ingenious than our pal Eusebius (2), and the belated creation of sun an moon is explained by their being there already when the light appeared but Moses couldn't see them because of the cloud -cover (rummage through Psalms, Job or Isaiah to find a reference to the clouds that float above the earth, just as they do today, to "Prove" this theory) and God, while showing Moses the vision (as man hadn't been made yet) didn't explain to him that they were really there but he couldn't see them because of the clouds.
There is no wrong order to creation.
When God said "Let there be light", He didn't say "let the sun and moon give forth their light." He brought about light just as He will in the final eon and light is in the New City Jerusalem and there will be no need of the sun or moon for light. That is what it says.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There is no wrong order to creation.
When God said "Let there be light", He didn't say "let the sun and moon give forth their light." He brought about light just as He will in the final eon and light is in the New City Jerusalem and there will be no need of the sun or moon for light. That is what it says.
Eusebius old chum, we have done that long since. I am NOT going to do it again. If anyone out there is interested in hearing the case for Genesis order of Creation is wrong, including refutation of the 'Cloud cover' excuse, I am willing, but they can better look up geological ages and compare it with Genesis and draw their own conclusions. (though indeed my post covers it, and you have pointedly ignored it. Nuff sed, case closed). And I for one, find the First earth and Aeions obsession intensely uninteresting. I will leave you to anyone who is interested.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Eusebius old chum, we have done that long since. I am NOT going to do it again. If anyone out there is interested in hearing the case for Genesis order of Creation is wrong, including refutation of the 'Cloud cover' excuse, I am willing, but they can better look up geological ages and compare it with Genesis and draw their own conclusions. (though indeed my post covers it, and you have pointedly ignored it. Nuff sed, case closed). And I for one, find the First earth and Aeions obsession intensely uninteresting. I will leave you to anyone who is interested.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
I came the closest so I win!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:55 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Unlike you, KC, Martin gets the analogy. You simply refuse to or are incapable of it.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:34 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Unlike you, KC, Martin gets the analogy. You simply refuse to or are incapable of it.
Godophobia. Severe. Cure unknown. Very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality