Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 PM

662 posts, read 313,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes that is what most folks do when they can't hold an intelligent conversation about things they spout that are not accurate. They run when challenged.
No, that's what smart people do when they are tired of people hijacking their threads and twisting their intent. You are not a challenge, you are a nuisance.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
No, that's what smart people do when they are tired of people hijacking their threads and twisting their intent. You are not a challenge, you are a nuisance.
Smart people engage in discussions vs. infantile responses.

I called you out of many of your inaccurate statements about science in this post and this is the best you can do in response to that?

No one hijacked this thread. Every response I gave was in response to what you said in your posts.

In particular these are the inaccuracies that I responded to.

Quote:
  • Science doesn't have any answers about our origins beyond math and particles.
  • And even within the information that has been confirmed, a story has to be put together from it to tell ourselves or otherwise its lots of data and smudgy deep space pictures or data readings that have been "artist rendered" to create a story that could be told. There is a lot more to existence than the things science can figure out how to study, so pretending that science has the answers or one day will have the answers is a pipe dream.
  • Science tells the story with math and physics, which to most humans means almost nothing.
  • It is essentially factoid information in regards to our existence, because no finding ever tells us anything except that we figured that one thing out.
  • And if we figure something out scientifically, we don't know more about the nature of existence, we know less.
It's clear that science is not your strong suit so I suggest you stop making false claims about it.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Smart people engage in discussions vs. infantile responses.

I called you out of many of your inaccurate statements about science in this post and this is the best you can do in response to that?

No one hijacked this thread. Every response I gave was in response to what you said in your posts.
You called no one out. You twisted general statements as if they were court testimony and continued to do so on every response, typical of a lonely person at home with nothing better to do than go find ways to stir a pot where you aren't wanted. If you display your pseudo-intellectual internet persona in real life the way you do behind a keyboard, you probably aren't wanted anywhere anyway.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
You called no one out. You twisted general statements as if they were court testimony and continued to do so on every response, typical of a lonely person at home with nothing better to do than go find ways to stir a pot where you aren't wanted.
I suppose you need a reminder of what you said.
Quote:
  • Science doesn't have any answers about our origins beyond math and particles.
  • And even within the information that has been confirmed, a story has to be put together from it to tell ourselves or otherwise its lots of data and smudgy deep space pictures or data readings that have been "artist rendered" to create a story that could be told. There is a lot more to existence than the things science can figure out how to study, so pretending that science has the answers or one day will have the answers is a pipe dream.
  • Science tells the story with math and physics, which to most humans means almost nothing.
  • It is essentially factoid information in regards to our existence, because no finding ever tells us anything except that we figured that one thing out.
  • And if we figure something out scientifically, we don't know more about the nature of existence, we know less.
Now tell me again how I twisted general statements.

Your infantile insults are only a reflection of who you are. Perhaps you do need to find a good source of spiritual inspiration. You sound as if you desperately need it.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Humans ... particularly the kind who would be first wave settlers ... are far more adaptable and resourceful than you give them credit for.

If I knew I had more of a lifespan (and healthspan) such that I'd live long enough, I would love to live and work on the Moon or Mars. However ... admittedly I'm not "first wave" settler material, for just the reasons you mention. I think however that current and projected near-term launch technologies make permanent settlement of the Moon entirely feasible now, and within a generation or two, I think we'll get there with Mars, which is both easier (it has at least a thin atmosphere, a somewhat more Earth-like gravity, and lots more water) and harder (much further away). Photonic propulsion, conventional refueling opportunities at LaGrange points, and other expected advancements make a stable supply chain even as far as Mars and beyond likely. It's less a matter of feasibility than of vision and will. The open question is how self-sustaining and pleasant life could become in such conditions. For some indication of that, one can look at far northern human settlements on Earth such as Lonyearbyen, Svalbard and Barrow, Alaska.

I wonder what role religion will play in such settlements. It is sure to crop up but I don't think it will be an early priority, or even a particular interest of most of the early arrivals. For how that is apt to play out I suspect we could take some cues from how religion tried to establish itself on the American Western frontier in an effort to tame the residents. But it will be fascinating to see how that will play out in a mid to late 21st century setting, on another world, with a far more educated populace.
Honestly, I see space settlement as something that has come about from what Desmond Morris calls the stimulus struggle. We've covered the globe so thoroughly that not only are there no more new frontiers to discover, we've had several generations come and go since covering the globe. The only way to discover further is to go out. The interest in discovering new places to secure resources and a place for the future in case problems arise in our current space that make survival uncertain (the same reason we have always gone out to discover) can't do much on our blue sphere so we must travel out. For those who find it intriguing, I say go for it. I don't see the draw of traveling through the vacuum of space to a strange world of uncertainty, but for some people the urge to discover outweighs potential negatives or even turns them into a positive. If that's you, you'd be more suited for it than I would.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I suppose you need a reminder of what you said.

Now tell me again how I twisted general statements.

Your infantile insults are only a reflection about who you are.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
We've covered the globe so thoroughly that not only are there no more new frontiers to discover, we've had several generations come and go since covering the globe.
Another inaccurate statement from you. How much longer are you going to keep this up?

To date, we have explored less than five percent of the ocean. Much remains to be learned from exploring the mysteries of the deep. The ocean is the lifeblood of Earth, covering more than 70 percent of the planet's surface, driving weather, regulating temperature, and ultimately supporting all living organisms.

How much of the ocean have we explored?

Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Go to church if you want to. It's got to beat senseless arguing on an Internet forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality