Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

I'm not religious so secular humanist fits closest. I am not so much concerned if I am right or wrong as it is simply a matter of changing my mind. I am with Rumi on the right and wrong thing:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.

What I do wonder once in a while is if I am sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Hello everybody,

This question is for anybody, no matter your religious affiliation or lack thereof.

I am wondering for how many of you it is important that you are "right" with the religious outlook (or lack thereof) that your are having and how often you consider that you might actually be WRONG?

How often does this cross your mind? Does it ever? If so, how does it affect you? Does it not bother you or do you simply finally always arrive (upon further investigation) at the conclusion that you are right and that's that?

There might be others who concede without problem that there is no 100% certainty for anything but they follow their chosen path anyhow. Does the uncertainty bother you at all?
Good question. I often wonder whether I may be wrong. That's concerning spiritual matters. However, when it comes to things like creation and Noah's flood - well, there ain't nothing that can persuade me that these stories are anything more than just stories.

Life after death? Or more precisely, continued existence of one's consciousness, well I just don't know. It seems unlikely and there is no logical support for the notion and no explanation as to how it could be possible but then again, consciousness itself hasn't been satisfactorily explained either.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
I came to discover that the church were I went did not have even a witness of God , so I left after growing up in this church , where some twenty years later I did find the right church and have found God , and there is evidence of God Spirit there and the do preach the gospel , and I do know God now as His spirit abides on my space night a day everywhere ..... People need to get the born again experience through Jesus with repentance so they will have a 99.9% chance of knowing God and going to heaven and know it

Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I don't see how that answers my question.

It doesn't. But Basil's does. I had a reasoned out post but I hit the wrong button and it vanished (call it Coincidence if you like ) So summary is that whatever supports Faith is true, even if it is a lie. Anything that undermines Faith is a Lie, even if it is actually true. Until we keep in mind that we are arguing with a Faith -based mindset and that this Faith is essentially faith in their own Rightness, we cannot understand what we are dealing with.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm not religious so secular humanist fits closest. I am not so much concerned if I am right or wrong as it is simply a matter of changing my mind. I am with Rumi on the right and wrong thing:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
and rightdoing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass
the world is too full to talk about.

What I do wonder once in a while is if I am sane.
It doesn't matter, so long as you can identify what is sane and keep up an imitation of it. When you have identified it, let me know as I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Good question. I often wonder whether I may be wrong. That's concerning spiritual matters. However, when it comes to things like creation and Noah's flood - well, there ain't nothing that can persuade me that these stories are anything more than just stories.

Life after death? Or more precisely, continued existence of one's consciousness, well I just don't know. It seems unlikely and there is no logical support for the notion and no explanation as to how it could be possible but then again, consciousness itself hasn't been satisfactorily explained either.
That's the nearest to being sane - or not going totally cuckoo. Keep one hand on reality, so you can pull yourself back as soon as you lose direction.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Whether right or wrong I have found what works for me in my perceptions of why and how to live. If I am wrong, I will have lived my life with a perception of love as guide and lived in that to the best of my ability, I am happy with that.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:16 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
I am wondering for how many of you it is important that you are "right" with the religious outlook (or lack thereof) that your are having and how often you consider that you might actually be WRONG?

How often does this cross your mind? Does it ever?
There's always a possibility that the sun will not rise tomorrow or that gravity will stop working the way it does.

Does thinking about these things cause you any anxiety?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 AM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's always a possibility that the sun will not rise tomorrow or that gravity will stop working the way it does.

Does thinking about these things cause you any anxiety?
Well, I am in the fortunate position that I am not really worried or bothered by possibly being "wrong" with my relgious outlook in the first place.

But, no, your example does not cause me any anxiety but that might be because I have never considered it.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:16 AM

646 posts, read 465,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Whether right or wrong I have found what works for me in my perceptions of why and how to live. If I am wrong, I will have lived my life with a perception of love as guide and lived in that to the best of my ability, I am happy with that.
This seems like a very enjoyable attitude to have!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM

301 posts, read 295,820 times
I think I know what you mean.

For me, everyone has the right to believe whatever they want to believe. If it's civil I'll gladly give my opinion and rational to back it up, but I always back off when I see people getting heated. For some people it is such a personal subject that for them to hear another opinion you can tell brings out anger even if they are civil... you can just tell.

I believe that parents have the right to teach their kids at home whatever religion they believe. (short of child abuse... I'm talking beliefs).

However. I completely believe in the separation of church and state. Religion and any holy text should only be taught in literature, history, etc. That's where I draw the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality