Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, I do, jimmie. But I don't think it has anything to do with my salvation. Why do you?? You seem to think it is the most important thing. I am trying to understand why.
It doesn't make you saved, it's just a public profession. You're being argumentative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 PM

63,821 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Yes, I do, jimmie. But I don't think it has anything to do with my salvation. Why do you?? You seem to think it is the most important thing. I am trying to understand why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It doesn't make you saved, it's just a public profession. You're being argumentative.
So I misunderstood you when you said we have to accept our salvation by this profession or we are not saved???? I am not being argumentative, jimmie. I am really trying to understand how you reconcile these conflicting and contradictory things in your head.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So I misunderstood you when you said we have to accept our salvation by this profession or we are not saved???? I am not being argumentative, jimmie. I am really trying to understand how you reconcile these conflicting and contradictory things in your head.
How is this conflicting? You make a public profession of what you have believed in your heart. We do that by public baptism.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How is this conflicting? You make a public profession of what you have believed in your heart. We do that by public baptism.
Is the bold accurate, jimmie??

Old 06-21-2016, 05:10 AM

261 posts, read 156,826 times
Quote:
True enough, but do you know what it really means to be saved? Besides the fire insurance it means to become a new and better person, to turn from evil to love. Saying a few words doesn't make one saved. It's got to be true & heartfelt.
Why does the sky fairy make it so difficult? If people really need saving because it cocked up its creation of humans it should take the blame!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
As Mystic said, God knows the heart and mind. I get that the practice of baptism and so on is what puts it into the heart and mind so God knows it. But then why the need to spread the good news here? It can't be that we need to keep topping up the heart and mind with constant prosetylizing or we run out of spiritual gas.

As you said: "Public profession. Those who are saved will confess Christ as Lord because He has put faith in their hearts. As with baptism and all good works, public confession is not the means of salvation; it is the evidence of salvation."

So the need to profess faith to others is more a by -product of Faith and no doubt pleasing to God, and part of his plan to save all humanity (unless you believe only a remnant is to be saved), but it doesn't make one more saved by doing or less saved by not doing it.

I think that answers your Q, Mystic

Quote:
If it IS true and heartfelt, what is the purpose of the words, jimmie???
It is not evidence to God of our Faith (we can get unsaved by losing Faith and leaving the Religion, or perhaps by really bad sinning), but that's subsequent evidence of being saved. Remember, witnessing can be done before one is really saved, so it's all a demonstration of the faith that will get one saved sooner or later, but is not evidence to us or God that one is ready to be saved. Only God knows that by looking into the mind.

Ad of course if one professed in words and deeds that they were ready to be saved, but God knew by looking into their heart, that they weren't, they could talk the talk and splash the splash, but you couldn't tell who was saved from who wasn't. right jimmie? or not?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-21-2016 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
Why does the sky fairy make it so difficult? If people really need saving because it cocked up its creation of humans it should take the blame!
No one made you sin (miss the mark). You did that yourself. Unless you'd rather be a robot.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Is the bold accurate, jimmie??
Well, jimmie???

Old 06-21-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, jimmie???
I explained my position several times. I will not follow you any further down the rabbit hole. Make of that what you will.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
I explained my position several times. I will not follow you any further down the rabbit hole. Make of that what you will.
If you refuse to explain just what you meant in a way that reconciles the statements, everyone will know that you were caught out contradicting yourself. Nobody minds if you do a rethink and mental repositioning, but to refuse to answer reflects no credit on you or the Faith you claim to believe. That's the burden you take on when you post in a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality