Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
How can you slam someone else for "bias" when you just said that anyone that believes in the literal rendering of the Word of G-d is not intelligent? I'd say that's a hefty dose of bias, in all honesty, wouldn't you? Peace
It's the word I bolded that stands as an impassable barrier between fundies and people possessed of common sense and/or a rudimentary secondary, or post-secondary education.

Thankfully, most Christians and Muslims and Jews are possessed of all the above.

I'm sorry you are not among them.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's the word I bolded that stands as an impassable barrier between fundies and people possessed of common sense and/or a rudimentary secondary, or post-secondary education.

Thankfully, most Christians and Muslims and Jews are possessed of all the above.

I'm sorry you are not among them.

Well, let's just take ONE FIELD, and see what Jews who by definition, likely believe the Tanach, have accomplished in mathematics. I'm sorry, I didn't notice; is your name on there with all your, "common sense and post secondary education" going for ya? Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-03-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I haven't tried to "devalue college degrees as not really carrying any weight". So keep your nonsense out of my mouth. What I said, and still stand behind, is you can not be what most would call "intelligent" and believe in things like a global flood, talking animals, etc. Not going through the list again.

Also, being "book smart" and being intelligent are two different things. You need MUCH more than mere book smarts to be intelligent. Some of the dumbest people I know have college degrees... Just look at the orange buffoon you guys voted into office. On the flip side, some of the smartest people I know have no degree.

The point it, you can have a degree and be intelligent, or not. You can have little education and be intelligent, or not. Having a degree in say, engineering, does not mean you are ignorant to other sciences. Having a degree in earth sciences or something like that does not mean you are smart when it comes to other sciences. This isn't some black or white thing like you make it out to be. To bolster my point, look at the definition of intelligence....

1)the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Just because you have the ability to acquire knowledge (like getting a degree, for instance), does not mean you are applying the knowledge and skills.

There are no "intelligent" people who believe the Bible is literal. They could be book smart, but the intelligence part is a no go. Intelligent people do not believe in talking donkeys, flying zombies, worldwide floods that covered mountains......

Fact is, atheists don't "need" anything of the sort. In fact, it is you who seems to have an overwhelming need to feel like people hate you and that they are, in fact, the people who need to believe in fake things. The bias is from you and other fundies. I mean, for Christ sake Jeff, you have admitted that you won't believe a single word said by an atheists, regardless of how true it is. How is that not bias? You have admitted that if something were to prove your God to be false, you would still believe in him. How is that not bias? Are you just joking here, or are you serious? If you are serious, you should take a long hard look in the mirror, because the bias comes from you.
This is getting tiring. It doesn't WHAT I post, you will always stubbornly argue against it to the point of absurdity. My point stands. There are people out there with doctorate degrees who believe in the Bible. They are not stupid people. Now you are scrambling to define "intelligence" which can mean anything really, but that was your claim and now you are both trying to deny and support the claim. When you say that there are no intelligent people who believe in the Bible most people would take that to mean you are essentially calling us stupid for our beliefs, and that is bold claim completely void of any support or evidence.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Well, let's just take ONE FIELD, and see what Jews who by definition, likely believe the Tanach, have accomplished in mathematics. I'm sorry, I didn't notice; is your name on there with all your, "common sense and post secondary education" going for ya? Peace

I know many cultural and ethnic Jews who are atheists, not that any are included here.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

Selecting four of those links at random there was nothing in it that stated that they believed in a young earth and that the earth was created exactly like it states in Genesis. Or that they even thought about the topic. Or thought about geology or paleontology, the origins of man, evolution or religion. My grandfather was an intelligent Jewish man of the time period of many of those and I would never use him as an example to support my statement unless I knew what he thought on the topic. Of course he never had the opportunity for education being a refugee and needing to work as soon as he arrived in the West.

So you have a list if Jewish mathematicians many who lived in a time of greater religiosity who may have or may not have believe that Genesis is the literal truth or something similar. Using your links tells me nothing other than a list of people's good in math.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:

Ummmm... Rabbi, you listed some twenty of forty names. Try listing a million or two and you might find my name cropping up. Or not.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This is getting tiring. It doesn't WHAT I post, you will always stubbornly argue against it to the point of absurdity. My point stands. There are people out there with doctorate degrees who believe in the Bible. They are not stupid people. Now you are scrambling to define "intelligence" which can mean anything really, but that was your claim and now you are both trying to deny and support the claim. When you say that there are no intelligent people who believe in the Bible most people would take that to mean you are essentially calling us stupid for our beliefs, and that is bold claim completely void of any support or evidence.
Jeff, you are right. I have family members who are by no means stupid or unintelligent (maths and chemistry professors) yet they believe in the bible and not only that, they believe it literally! My own brother believes the earth is only six to ten thousand years old! Can you believe it? Yet he is an intelligent guy! Go figure! I mean, surely anyone can see the earth cannot be only six to ten thousand years old! He honestly believes God created everything and is all powerful, even though God has shown no power at all. Can't stop the suffering of young children in Africa who are starving and being abused. Couldn't stop the holocaust. I mean - his own people! This same god did ****all for my son - the son of a dedicated born again Christian (his mother - who actually caused his pain and suffering in the first place! And I did my best to protect him from her, before you ask). You see Jeff, this god of yours is totally powerless. Which is what one would expect from a non-existent creation of the imagination. My son's mother was simply deluded. She still worships her god even though he failed her miserably. See what I mean about been absolutely powerless? Non-existent actually.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Jeff, you are right. I have family members who are by no means stupid or unintelligent (maths and chemistry professors) yet they believe in the bible and not only that, they believe it literally! My own brother believes the earth is only six to ten thousand years old! Can you believe it? Yet he is an intelligent guy! Go figure! I mean, surely anyone can see the earth cannot be only six to ten thousand years old! He honestly believes God created everything and is all powerful, even though God has shown no power at all. Can't stop the suffering of young children in Africa who are starving and being abused. Couldn't stop the holocaust. I mean - his own people! This same god did ****all for my son - the son of a dedicated born again Christian (his mother - who actually caused his pain and suffering in the first place! And I did my best to protect him from her, before you ask). You see Jeff, this god of yours is totally powerless. Which is what one would expect from a non-existent creation of the imagination. My son's mother was simply deluded. She still worships her god even though he failed her miserably. See what I mean about been absolutely powerless? Non-existent actually.

I see this complaint all the time, but has it ever occurred to anyone making it, that THIS REALM is NOT perfection, this is what happens when you eat of the tokogae? Yet everyone expects G-d to show up in power at every injustice, or there is no G-d. If it was the realm of perfection, none of us would be here. Peace

Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
I see this complaint all the time, but has it ever occurred to anyone making it, that THIS REALM is NOT perfection, this is what happens when you eat of the tokogae? Yet everyone expects G-d to show up in power at every injustice, or there is no G-d. If it was the realm of perfection, none of us would be here. Peace
Do you have any confirmed examples of any God showing up at ANY injustice?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:38 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Do you have any confirmed examples of any God showing up at ANY injustice?
"GOD" doesn't need to "show up"...the Pantheist GOD I perceive (ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED...aka, The Universe) already is the everywhere and everything.
Only the metaphorical characters of allegorical Religious writings (that you claim don't exist...but then inanely critique what they did or didn't do) fail to "show up". Which would figure, since they are metaphorical and allegorical representations of God and/or that which comprises God.
"Injustice" is a human construct...there is actually no such objective thing as "injustice". It is subjective and arbitrary.
Your "injustice" may be anothers opinion of what is fair and equitable, or even proper and mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.