Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 05:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,751,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
As an amusement park, this thing stretches further into fantasy than Disneyland.
But again....who CARES! It's an amusement park! Some people believe Mickey Mouse is real. Let them have their day.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:40 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
8 People to repopulate the Earth, that seems to be a pretty shallow gene pool. I wonder how Ken Ham addresses that. Did they do the math?
It's less shallow than 2 people populating the Earth the first time.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's less shallow than 2 people populating the Earth the first time.
Very valid point.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
But again....who CARES! It's an amusement park! Some people believe Mickey Mouse is real. Let them have their day.
I don't think Disney Studios is trying to push their idea of talking animated animals or toys as real living characters in any high school science class. When these ministries push for that, they don't deserve their day. Even after their day in court, they keep trying.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
OK... you know the routine!

Send $$$ for that coffee that went through my nose and all over my keyboard.
Hehe, I would if I could. I'm glad you liked that!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
It's similar to how many young earth creationists now say "Oh, we realize the universe is more than 6000 years old, but planet EARTH is only 6000 years old."
Some YECs very much believe it's not just a young earth but a young universe. Or at the very least a young solar system. The Creationism Hall of Fame site for example was doing a running commentary of the Pluto flyby and the comet lander Philae before that, in which they were claiming that the data from these probes demonstrates that the comet, Pluto, and Oort Cloud objects are young and/or the organic molecules they bear came originally from Earth, ejected during the Flood cataclysm.* And they are clearly trying to get out in front of any life that might be discovered elsewhere in the solar system, by arguing that if such life exists, it originated on earth. They appear to be trying to preserve the uniqueness of life on Earth, which is a weird, quixotic battle for them to pick in my view, as nothing about life existing independently of Earth really contradicts scripture or undermines dogma.

But then it occurred to me: if life exists elsewhere in the universe then life on earth isn't special, humans aren't god's special snowflakes. And if life not only exists elsewhere but turns out to be ubiquitous, even if it's mostly low level single celled life, it make the scientific explanations for origins as well as the process of natural selection seem more likely to be true and reduces the need for special creation as an explanation for anything.

They also need NASA to be running some kind of elaborate conspiracy to deceive, because it flatters their persecution and repression narratives.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
As far back as the 17thh century, questions were being raised in the great age of exploration about how all the newly discovered animals could possibly have gotten to their existing locations if they were once on a boat that that docked in the Middle East. In Ham’s retelling, there were once just two kangaroos and both were located in Turkey. How did they hop across the ocean to Australia? As the catalog of animals grew it became clear they could not have even fit in the ark. When the poles were explored it was discovered that they could not have been under water just 4000 years ago. There isn’t enough water to cover the mountains. Many plants could not have survived being submerged in salt water. The list goes on. The story of Noah’s Flood is simply not possible.

In the 19th century, biblical scholars discovered ancient stories of other “Noahs” who were saved with the animals in a great boat. These stories predated the biblical version by centuries and were clearly its inspiration.

Recent discoveries in human genetics have shown clearly that the human race cannot have consisted of just 8 people a few thousand years ago. In Ham’s imaginative retelling of the story all of the races existing now had to develop in an amazing evolutionary spurt that began when Noah’s family got off the ark.
Ken Hams Crazy Ark Park

There were many flood stories centuries before the bible inventors stole the idea and tried to incorporate it as their own.

Flood Stories from Around the World

Ken Ham is nothing but another money scheming con artist, on top of being one of the most dishonest humans around.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:

Your views are so biased I am not sure they can be taken seriously.

Listen...its a THEME PARK. Not unlike Disney. It has a boat instead of a big blue castle and the wax figures are Jesus instead of Mickey. Who cares! There is a huge market for this. I'll never go but plenty will, and they come from CA and NY as much as from KY and OH.
Well, i guess we'll find out. You have nothing to support your position but your own personal opinion. My opinion is different, and (I think) more grounded in reality. Ham made similar claims for his idiotic "Creation Museum," and they're pulling... what.... 250,000 a year?

Additionally, I now see that Ham is lying about his own attendance projections. According to this report, Ham hired a consulting firm (Hunden Strategic Partners) to estimate the projected attendance. He apparently didn't like their numbers, so he tried to cover up their report and made up his own numbers.

Quote:
The Ark Encounter estimated that they would see 1.2 to 2 million visitors per year. However, Hunden estimated in the first year the park would receive roughly 325,000, with a peak attendance in the third year around 425,000, declining to 275,000 after that.
So, Peter, apparently even the consultants that Ham hired agree with me. And disagree with you. But, I guess we'll see, eh?

Oh - and yes, this thing is very "unlike Disney." Difference is, Disney stuff and wax figures of Mickey Mouse are fun for kids. Giant fake boats and wax figures of Jesus really aren't.

Quote:

Please get your facts straight.....no tourist attractions within "hundreds of miles????"

Are you aware that the ark is located squarely in metro Cincinnati, just minutes outside the 275 beltway, right next to a huge airport, and 40 mins to downtown Cincinnati, 90 mins to downtown Louisville or 45 mins to Lexington. Plenty of tourist attractions all around, especially in Louisville and Cincinnati, and I do not need to list them here.
Well, you do if you want to prove your point.

Oh, and when you're coming up with your list, please don't move the goalposts. I didn't say "tourist attractions," I said "major tourist attractions." So the Louisville Slugger Museum wouldn't count.

You can wave the Kentucky pom-poms all you want, but this isn't the Kentucky forum, and the fact remains that there just isn't very much in this part of America that people find interesting enough to drive from all over the country to see. The closest real "destination" attraction is ma-a-a-aybe Daniel Boone National Forest, about 100 miles away, and even that's a stretch if you're talking about major attractions.

Northeastern Kentucky isn't the part of the country that most people drive to when they're going on vacation - it's the part they drive through, and the part of the state where the Ark is located isn't really on a route that leads to and from anything particularly exciting. In fact, Business Insider ranks Kentucky 33rd in terms of tourism, just a notch below Iowa - and West Virginia, just over the border, is ranked 51st. The fact is, there just isn't very much here that people want to come from far away to see, and if anyone thinks this thing is going to draw visitors on a par with Glacier National Park has to be delusional. In my opinion.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
...That is a poor argument to suggest that if reasonable and rational people believe Noah's ark to be allegorical then that bodes well for your argument. But it is a lapse in logic to suggest so. That is why I rejoined with a similar tact that such ones also believe Noah's ark to be historically factual. Since both sets are reasonable and rational...
You couldn't be more wrong. Does a rational and reasonable adult believe literally in the existence of Santa Claus, or The Boogeyman, or Klingons for that matter? or faerie folk, leprechauns, etc. Or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? No. Because just as literal belief in the myth of Noah's ark, it would be neither reasonable nor rational to do so.

Quote:
While God was letting the nations go their own way in darkness (think of the Greek gods) He was revealing Himself to the line of the Messiah prior to His arrival. And so it is improper to argue that if the Greeks believed in Zeus and were wrong that therefore the line of the Messiah to whom God revealed Himself to must also be wrong in their divine records of such meetings between them and God/Yahweh/Creator of the heavens and earth, the Who is, Who was and Who is to come One...
So you have nothing but intra-biblical support for your assertions that The Bible is 100% literally true. How surprising. I expect you don't see the avalanche of fallacies involved in that "argument."

Quote:
I believe there are stories in ancient Hindu literature that were historically true. I believe in ancient days they did have wonder weapons.
Great. By your very own reasoning, then, you must believe that all of Hindu gods and the stories thereof are 100% literally true, right?

Quote:
The problem with calling the historic flood of Noah's day a myth is to say all the other writers of the historic autographs of the Bible got it wrong including Jesus Christ, who never lied.
First off, Jesus himself is not considered to be the actual "author" of any part of The Bible. Second, your claim that "he never lied" is based merely on your own personal belief stemming from your larger belief in The Bible as inerrant, which is, as regularly shown here, preposterous, pointless and silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
We all are today which proves the Bible to be true.
Ah. I see now. Ken Ham is inbred, therefore the Bible is entirely 100% true and historically accurate. Yep--you've convinced me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Some YECs very much believe it's not just a young earth but a young universe. Or at the very least a young solar system.
Oh, certainly. I realize this. I was talking about the ever-moving proverbial goal posts. When some evidence becomes more overwhelming (i e. the universe is clearly older than 6000 years old) some YECs will cave and say things such as (and I've seen this very thing numerous times) : "Oh, well, we didn't mean the WHOLE UNIVERSE was only 6000 years old, haha. Gee, what must you think of us? Noooo, we're saying the universe is older, but Earth itself is only 6000 years old..."

Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 PM

23,170 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
believe literally in the existence of Santa Claus,

"

Side note.

In the 24 hours between Adam and Eve he{Adam} named every living thing and then he began tilling and harvestings crops so long that he got bored and God said that it is not good for him to be alone.

Moses was no idiot, he purposely shows this to be a spiritual story just like I think the flood is. He purposely shows that days were not 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality