Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Probably because Christianity hinges on the Bible being accurate.
ah. I would seek other perspectives here, as this seems to me to be denying you, possibly, of a better way to approach wisdom, which i don't necessarily mean to equate with Scripture, for you. Iow why not just acknowledge that Christianity is not accurate, the political kind anyway, freeing you up to approach the Bible, or indeed any Holy Writ, on their merits? Yes, most people who identify as Christians are hypocrites, and seeking to make room for Christ in their life, rather than making room for their life in Christ. But the best place i know of to illuminate this is the Bible.

At a certain point, imo, you are just going to be perceived as avoiding wisdom, not foo fighting iow.
"Love you neighbor; that's all you gotta do" is pretty profound stuff, i mean really do you have a problem with this message? By God? God hates all the same stuff you do AJ, and imo you would be better served to make the Bible work for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...because we are using this thread to follow on from 'was there a historical Jesus'. Apparently, our friend Transponder is going to start another thread for 'Historical Accuracy of the Gospels' (which will probably also be in this forum). When he does we will transfer the posts concerning Nazareth to it.
sad, because it is completely missing the point imo.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No it doesn't. That's fundamentalist religion. Christianity hinges on people loving others without prejudice, or favoritism, or self-serving ends.

That's why it is so rarely seen.
there ya go. So we are mostly debating at cross-purposes, "Christianity" being defined according to personal understanding.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It's more to do with whether or not the gospels are historically accurate and therefore reliable as evidence for the Christian man-god.
thus completely avoiding avoiding the point imo.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Actually Christianity promotes prejudice, favoritism and self-serving. Who will dwell in Heaven? Most Christians believe that ONLY Christians will live in Heaven after they die. What "nationality" is God's "chosen" people? (favoritism). Why do Christians generally do good things? To stay in God's good graces, so they can go to Heaven after they die. (self-serving).

Regardless, one can love others without prejudice, favoritism, or self-serving ends with being a Christian and many do. Actually those who do these things without expecting an eternal reward are the more genuine.
but you cannot pretend that this perspective is not illuminated in Scripture, if not Christianity, political.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
sad, because it is completely missing the point imo.
Quote:
thus completely avoiding avoiding the point imo.
...and the 'point' would be what?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
...and the 'point' would be what?
i'm not sure how to reply to you, because we currently have no common lexicon. But surely i can at least assume that we both seek...what do we commonly, both of us, seek? Give me a word, and i will give you this point.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
i'm not sure how to reply to you, because we currently have no common lexicon. But surely i can at least assume that we both seek...what do we commonly, both of us, seek? Give me a word, and i will give you this point.
Seems to me that most of your posts lack a point and/or coherence.

wadr imo aisi etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Seems to me that most of your posts lack a point and/or coherence.

wadr imo aisi etc.
i seek no acolytes. Do we have a common interest, or not?

Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times
Quote:
Sorry old man. I don't understand what the hell you are talking about?

Is it a quiz or something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality