Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,323,209 times

Advertisements

Given that Heaven offers an eternity of boredom I don't see either side as winning in that religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:54 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,312,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I've flatlined at least three times without an NDE. I guess that proves I'm an atheist.
How long were you out during the flat-line?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 AM

64,142 posts, read 40,469,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I've flatlined at least three times without an NDE. I guess that proves I'm an atheist.
It probably does.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 AM

9,707 posts, read 10,095,701 times
Jesus Christ Holy Spirit told here that lost to God peoples soul will die but their spirit will continue to exist after they pass on , so it may be the only proof to ask God directly ...........part about torment God never told here , except there is no mercy from God for lost people who pass on

Old 08-23-2016, 04:49 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,382,235 times
Pretty much any and all evidence of the afterlife points to that. Read anything written by someone not by a fundamentalist, and especially something by Deepak Chopra. He neatly lays out as a doctor and someone who grew up under Christian and Hindu teachings why there definitely is an afterlife, and how it is basically created by the worldview of the people involved.

There are only two categories of people for which the afterlife is a place of torment.
1. People with karmic debt (as in people who have actively hurt others, or have deep-seated guilt)
2. People who have created hell as a place of torment, based on a sadistic desire to see all the gays, or other undesirables go there.

In the first case, the person goes there because of guilt. Once they have dealt with past debts, they are clean, and torment burns off. The idea that there is a hell as a permanent place is nonsense. We only punish ourselves, God doesn't punish us.
Which leads to #2. That hell they spent so much time imagining? It's those very people that see in their heart people suffering that actually enter here. And because sadism is harder to deal with, they stay until they stop wanting other people to be hurt. I could explain it for hours and nobody would understand but it basically boils down to this.

1. The afterlife is like water. If you bring salt with you it is salt water. If you bring fear and pain with you,it is fear and pain water, until that fear and pain "dissolve".
2. This is why there so many afterlife concepts. Not because all are wrong and afterlife isn't real (that would be an atheist's concept), but because all real religions know that what assumptions you bring with you are what you see. If you see yourself in a house with your significant other, farming the land, this is what you will see.
3. But this is also why any "religion" that rewards others for hurting people, cannot work, it is based on faulty reasoning. Remember I said, God doesn't punish, we do? What happens when you have a distorted concept of good and evil? That house, that wife, that garden turn into a psychedelic nightmare fun house. The wife has teeth in place that ermm. The tomatoes you harvest have bugs inside. The house is filled with ghosts.
If you reward what should be punished, and punish behavior that should be rewarded, you have inverted karma, and what you bring with you are weird delusions.

If you go into the afterlife, having tried to help others, you don't bring regrets. If you go in having loved, all you will find is love. Stop beating yourself about drinking or not attending church. It doesnt matter, just dont keep tormenting yourserlf. But don't bring your lightsaber.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How long were you out during the flat-line?
I totally forgot to check my watch.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus Christ Holy Spirit told here that lost to God peoples soul will die but their spirit will continue to exist after they pass on , so it may be the only proof to ask God directly ...........part about torment God never told here , except there is no mercy from God for lost people who pass on
"I'm not going to provide any actual proof that I exist, but if you don't believe in Me I'll punish you for all eternity."

This is another reason I'm an atheist.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM

18,565 posts, read 9,256,578 times
OP:

There's as much evidence for a state of suffering after death as there is for a Giant Green Hamster living on the planet Neptune.

No one can prove there is not suffering after death nor a Giant Green Hamster on Neptune. But that's hardly a reason to believe those things exist. There's no evidence for those things.

Religion makes heavy use of the following fallacy: it cannot be proven that X does not exist, therefore X exists. It's a fallacy because one could prove the existence of almost anything with that kind of argument.

The burden of proof rests on whoever is claiming the existence of something, not upon the skeptic. And the more extraordinary the claim, the more extraordinary the evidence must be.

If someone is threatening you with a danger that cannot be disproven, ask for the evidence. Put the burden of proof on them, where it logically belongs.

Last edited by Freak80; 08-23-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,892,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
It seems like the majority of world religions believe that for a lot of humans suffering awaits them after their death in their afterlife. Is it possible there is truth behind this belief?
'possible'?

Sure.

It's possible that there was a gremlin in my breadbox five minutes ago.

So what?

Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,339,635 times
Is there evidence that doesn't support torment after-death

Yes: common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality