Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not really. Here you are a puny human with a consciousness that rejects as a God relative to you the very Source of your existence, consciousness and everything else. I call that pretty arrogant.
Why? We have no reason to believe our existence is due to a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 01:23 PM

64 posts, read 39,870 times
Quote:
Not really. Here you are a puny human with a consciousness that rejects as a God relative to you the very Source of your existence, consciousness and everything else. I call that pretty arrogant.
Hmm
It's weird. I see it the opposite.
It seems, to me, that you're the arrogant one - you believe yourself so special that your existence requires divinity.
:shrug:

Last edited by BlueQueuedQuarks; 12-19-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 01:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I do not understand your fixation on finding something that is large, ancient, or powerful relative to you, and then affording it the label "god". The only arrogance would be saying that I am larger, more ancient and/or more powerful than anything else ... but my not affording worship to things greater than me is not arrogant. Assuming these things should be worshiped or afforded special status is what would be arrogant. These things simply ARE. I note their characteristics, but I make no special pleading for them either, nor do I leap to conclusions beyond what current evidence and knowledge can support.
Calling "ALL REALITY/EVERYTHING"..."something that is large, ancient, or powerful" is the ultimate understatement.
"ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED" is as "Godly" as it gets.
It is the Source of everything, as everything is created by and through it...it controls everything through laws and processes we know of...and it maintains, sustains, or eliminates what it has created.
If that isn't "God"...we may as well not even have the term.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
we may as well not even have the term.

Now you're getting somewhere

Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,333,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post
Hmm
It's weird. I see it the opposite.
It seems, to me, that you're the arrogant one - you believe yourself so special that your existence requires divinity.
:shrug:
And that everyone uses his definition over the more commonly used ones. That I guess is my fault on this thread is not defining what each and every word meant.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I do not understand your fixation on finding something that is large, ancient, or powerful relative to you, and then affording it the label "god". The only arrogance would be saying that I am larger, more ancient and/or more powerful than anything else ... but my not affording worship to things greater than me is not arrogant. Assuming these things should be worshiped or afforded special status is what would be arrogant. These things simply ARE. I note their characteristics, but I make no special pleading for them either, nor do I leap to conclusions beyond what current evidence and knowledge can support.
Your God-o-phobia blinders and filters refuse to let you acknowledge that "whatever it is" that is responsible for the very existence of EVERYTHING in existence qualifies as a God to us no matter WHAT it is. The fact that others ascribe things to this God that you do not agree with or consider irrational or absurd or just plain stupid has no bearing on the facts on the ground.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:18 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Calling "ALL REALITY/EVERYTHING"..."something that is large, ancient, or powerful" is the ultimate understatement.
"ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED" is as "Godly" as it gets.
It is the Source of everything, as everything is created by and through it...it controls everything through laws and processes we know of...and it maintains, sustains, or eliminates what it has created.
If that isn't "God"...we may as well not even have the term.
What he is asking gld, is do you think we should "hail" this universe past regular 'awe" at whats going on around us?

he twisted up a bit because he is so scared by the inability to blame his parents and himself for how stoop without the I.D., but that's basically what he is asking.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
qualifies as a God to us
That's fine.
You can call a lamp a penis for all that it matters.

However, to then go to the police and say "BQQ is walking down the street rubbing his penis" is (funny if you're in 3rd grade) intellectually dishonest - as is saying "I think nature is god. Nature exists. So atheism is bunk".

Old 12-19-2016, 03:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Quote:
Your God-o-phobia blinders and filters refuse to let you acknowledge that "whatever it is" that is responsible for the very existence of EVERYTHING in existence qualifies as a God to us no matter WHAT it is. The fact that others ascribe things to this God that you do not agree with or consider irrational or absurd or just plain stupid has no bearing on the facts on the ground.
I'm seriously curious Mistic, what viable evidence do you have to base your belief upon? The world has multiple religions that have large numbers of believers and ancient writings.

When considering such an amazing being as an all creator, do you not agree the Bible claim to be inconsistent with such a being? I don't think you accept the absurdities, so why is it you accept parts of it as viable evidence?

Old 12-19-2016, 03:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
it would be funny, but because he is dishonest about what he is doing, it bothers me. I mean the blind faith statement of "reject everything" is irrational.

Withholding valid science interpretations because he feels it will make his job harder to convert people to atheism is, well, you fill in the blank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality