Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM

126 posts, read 252,893 times

Advertisements

Hey, City-Data Forum!
Well, I am a religious person and I have a lot of atheist friends. So, one of these days, I and my friends were discussing this:

According to them, the more people pray, the less prosperous they will be. And the less they pray they'll be more successful. For example, people in the Scandinavian countries, Japan, Western Europe which are majority atheist have a higher standard of living than those in religious countries such as India, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Angola, etc...

Now I ask: why so? shouldn't it be the other way around? Doesn't God love those poor people?

PS: sorry for my grammar/vocabulary, English is not my native language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
It is because religious people do not want to advance society, they want it to go back to the stone age. Advancement breeds prosperity. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
These countries are great examples of why religion and government should never be together. Religion is a personal thing and politics is a public thing. When the two are combined everything personal becomes public and everything public becomes personal; people have no personal life and they all have the same public life.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
It all depends on what one considers what is the cause and what is the effect.

Does a reduction in religion result in increased prosperity or does an increase in prosperity result in a decrease of religion?

Perhaps it is not the reduction of religion that resulted in prosperity but rather it is increased prosperity resulted in a reduction of religion.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,945,727 times
Do you have any correlative statistics or this thread is just hearsay..

Old 10-25-2012, 01:45 PM

467 posts, read 665,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
Hey, City-Data Forum!
Well, I am a religious person and I have a lot of atheist friends. So, one of these days, I and my friends were discussing this:

According to them, the more people pray, the less prosperous they will be. And the less they pray they'll be more successful. For example, people in the Scandinavian countries, Japan, Western Europe which are majority atheist have a higher standard of living than those in religious countries such as India, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Angola, etc...

Now I ask: why so? shouldn't it be the other way around? Doesn't God love those poor people?

PS: sorry for my grammar/vocabulary, English is not my native language.
Nope, not true. Being irreligious is actually correlated with less college education and poverty!

“Nones†and Money | The Revealer

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned Except for this:

Worldwide surveys have consistently ranked the Scandinavian countries — with their generous family-leave policies, low crime, free health care, rich economies and, yes, high income taxes — as the happiest places on earth. But this happiness has always been accompanied by a paradox: the happiest countries also seem to have the highest suicide rates.

Why the Happiest States Have the Highest Suicide Rates | TIME.com

There’s one thing that happiness studies seem to leave out, however. Some of the happiest countries in the world – Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland and the United States, for instance – also have the highest suicide rates in the world.

BBC - Travel - Why are Finns so happy? : Finland

Last edited by june 7th; 10-27-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 10-25-2012, 02:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Nope, not true. Being irreligious is actually correlated with less college education and poverty!
LOL!
No, it isn't. Religion thrives on the poor and uneducated.
The Bible and its god were created precisely to control those types, and to take their money.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It is because religious people do not want to advance society, they want it to go back to the stone age. Advancement breeds prosperity. Just my 2 cents.
So all religious people want to go back to the stone age.?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So all religious people want to go back to the stone age.?
Sorry, forgot people here can't tell an exaggeration. I simply meant that religious types do not want advancement like non religious types, as this is one reason, i believe, that makes people "stray" from religion. Advancement seems to make more atheists. Most religious leaders want their followers uneducated, it keeps them ignorant enough to keep believing fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality