Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,878,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
countries success is based on population, resources, and brainpower.

religion has nothing to do with it.

But like one atheists said,

' ... its not about truth, its about inserting doubt, the truth of the matter is irrelevant."

“For men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt. The more stupid the man, the larger his stock of adamantine assurances, the heavier his load of faith.”

H.L. Mencken,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
countries success is based on population, resources, and brainpower.

religion has nothing to do with it.

But like one atheists said,

' ... its not about truth, its about inserting doubt, the truth of the matter is irrelevant."

The number of residents doesn't make a country successful. It doesn't seem to contribute to a high standard of living. Just look at Denmark or Switzerland. Specific ressources can make a country rich (Norway or the Gulf States). But most important is the brainpower.
I do think that exaggerated religiosity can affect the brainpower of a country negatively. Religious people will more likely refuse scientific findings (because it's too complex for them) and try to explain phenomena with god, devil, angles or miracles, because it's more comfortable to find explanations where you don't need your brain. I think it's more difficult for religious people to think rationally. Religious people seem more vulnerable if someone promises absurd nonsense.
The higher level of religiosity in the U.S. could be one reason why the U.S. is lacking in some fields compared to e.g. Scandinavian countries.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:42 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,752,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
My argument was not that wealth = happiness. Nor even that religion has no appeal to the wealthy. Rather my point was that poverty, want, sickness and ignorance tends to make people more vulnerable to the false promises and comforting lies that religious faith offers.

Where is the low-hanging fruit for conservative Christianity and Islam these days? The third world generally, for example, Africa.

Here again note, I am saying just that and nothing more. In no way am I suggesting that fundamentalism has no purchase in wealthy and educated populations. I am talking about where the easy pickings are.
There are more Christians worshipping in China than North America. How do you explain the explosive growth of Christianity in Asian nations such as China and South Korea? I wouldn't really consider those nations to be third world.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 AM

20,084 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There are more Christians worshipping in China than North America. How do you explain the explosive growth of Christianity in Asian nations such as China and South Korea? I wouldn't really consider those nations to be third world.
All religious institutions in China exist by permission of the state, under conditions imposed by the state. They all are careful to describe themselves as "patriotic" and avoid subversive portions of the scriptures such as Daniel's refusal to obey governing authorities when it conflicted with god's law. In at least one major church, a closed-circuit camera observes what is preached from the pulpit and feeds that to government observers.

The church in China is seen at present by the government as something that can provide some augmentation of government social services and that will help to check lawlessness and crime. If it actually pulls that off without going to places the government doesn't want it to go, then it will continue to exist. If not, it will be ruthlessly repressed.

It is difficult to get accurate numbers out of China but best estimates are that Christianity represents between 2 and 3 percent of the population, about a third the number of atheists. Meanwhile both atheism and Christianity are dwarfed by the followers of various traditional Chinese religions.

As for South Korea, Christianity is an ideological foil to communism and therefore to the threat posed by North Korea, and it had a pivotal role in the independence movement from Japan as Christians refused the cult of emperor worship. However as others have pointed out, over half the South Korean population is religiously unaffiliated and Protestant faiths are around only 20%. So while you can point to large growth numbers that are an outlier in East Asia, it is also a long way from a majority religion like in the US.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:34 PM

504 posts, read 300,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How do you explain the explosive growth in Buddhists in the USA??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality