Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,939,153 times

Advertisements

i don't trust churches that started after 1800 in the U.S.A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 01:19 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You don't get out much, do you?

I am an agnostic/atheist, and I have friendly, non hostile, non snarky, non arrogant conversations with Christians every single day of my life, both evangelical and not. In fact, the majority of my family and friends are Christians, both evangelical and not. The people I work with? Almost entirely Christian. I have no problems with any of them, and very rarely, if ever, have a hostile conversation with any of them. I hate to tell you, but your interactions with people on an online message board are not representative of every atheist in the world like you seem to think. Even if it were, you are still overlooking many posts and posters that are not what you describe.
Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. Perhaps all your Christian friends don't know that you say negative things about our faith online and enjoy mocking complete strangers. I stand by my original claim. I have yet to meet a friendly atheist, yourself included. I have yet to seen a debate involving a Bible believing Christian where it didn't evolve into the atheist mocking or attacking the Christian. I've had people contact me privately telling me that they had to leave this forum because of all the trash talk against Christians so your pedestal posturing here has no effect on me. I mean, good grief, it's pretty much just me and Visio left, and you throw a big fit because I dare to have a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

The problem with your post above, is you seem to think "speaking in generalizations" that paint an entire group of people in a single light, is somehow acceptable if you don't say "all of X group is not S". Why are you "speaking in generalizations" anyways? Especially when you have been shown to lack any knowledge of those you are speaking about, and an unwillingness to learn?
You hold the stereotypes well. Why is it so perfectly find for your side to make generalizations about us? That's quite hypocritical.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
With his extremely skewed concepts about atheists, atheism, science, society and civilization it is little wonder that Jeff is able to paint us as the enemy. It saddens me when anyone has such a warped and hatred view on any other group of people.
Here's a fun challenge. Try to make one post that IS NOT:

1. About Jeffbase

2. condescending in tone and content.

That is 99% of your posts in threads where I participate. I bet you can't do it.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Hey, Jeffbase40! What did you think about those threads? A lot of those people went through some gut wrenching experiences, didn't they?

Old 12-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well what would be accurate to say is that because the majority of atheists require substantiation for their views (that is why, after all, they're atheists in the first place), they accept proven explanatory frameworks as what is mostly likely to be true. So apart from your biased way of relating it, more or less true about evolution. Abiogenesis on the other hand is not yet proven, it is merely a scientifically valid hypothesis at this point. My position on it is that it or something rather like it will likely be demonstrated to be at least feasible and maybe even repeatable. But in the meantime it is just another unknown, which is in no way an excuse to make up explanations or to accept the assertions of others when those assertions aren't even falsifiable or verifiable.
So in other words, you're not 100% short how life originated, and you're not 100% sure that there is no life after death, but you are 100% sure there is no God. I'll just leave it at that. Obviously my point is going over your head so no need to rehash the rest.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:12 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. Perhaps all your Christian friends don't know that you say negative things about our faith online and enjoy mocking complete strangers. I stand by my original claim. I have yet to meet a friendly atheist, yourself included.

So MY anecdotal evidence is irrelevant, but yours isn't? That is a bit hypocritical of you Jeff, although not altogether surprising. The FACT is, if you have never talked to or met a friendly atheist, that is on you. Or you have, and simply didn't know they were atheists, since, you know, we don't where identifying markers on us. There are just as many friendly atheists as there are friendly religious people, as a percentage. You make the mistake of thinking you and yours are somehow more superior, and that simply isn't true.

Quote:
I have yet to seen a debate involving a Bible believing Christian where it didn't evolve into the atheist mocking or attacking the Christian. I've had people contact me privately telling me that they had to leave this forum because of all the trash talk against Christians so your pedestal posturing here has no effect on me. I mean, good grief, it's pretty much just me and Visio left, and you throw a big fit because I dare to have a different opinion.
Well, when you guys come into a thread attacking atheists/gay people/people of other faiths/etc, then yes, it tends to get a bit nasty. Same thing if an atheist comes into a thread attacking the religious. The thing is though, you guys seem to regard EVERYTHING as an attack on your faith, and yourself personally. It doesn't matter if it is put out in a calm and rational matter or not. If you come into a thread railing against atheists/religious people or making some smart butt comment, then it will get nasty, atheist or religious is irrelevant.

You seem like a very angry person, and people pick up on that, and call you out for it. Want to prove us wrong? Then try coming into a conversation calm and rational. State your case and defend it without using Christian persecution or "them dang atheists!".

If people are leaving moderated forums because of the big bad atheists, then they need to grow a thicker skin, or stay off the internet, because that is just pathetic. No one cares if you have a different opinion, unless you are trying to force your opinion on others. That is where we run into problems. Stop trying to create laws to favor your religion, or take away rights of others, and people will gradually stop attacking you for it.

Quote:
You hold the stereotypes well. Why is it so perfectly find for your side to make generalizations about us? That's quite hypocritical.

I don't make generalizations about ALL of any group, evangelicals included. Let me show you the difference between how you talk, and how I talk....

You: You atheists are God hating bullies! (You are saying this about ALL atheists, whether you mean it that way or not. If you aren't talking about ALL atheists, then say something like, "You atheists who do X are Y.")
Me: The evangelicals who try to bully gay people or people of different faiths are pathetic losers. (I am saying this about a specific group of people who act a specific way)

Do you see the difference? Do you even care about the difference?

Old 12-22-2016, 02:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Here's a fun challenge. Try to make one post that IS NOT:

1. About Jeffbase

2. condescending in tone and content.

That is 99% of your posts in threads where I participate. I bet you can't do it.
Sorry cannot do. When I communicate with a person either on line or in person I refuse to look at them only as a part of a vast group of some class of people instead of as in individual who deserves credit or blame for themselves and not this abstract herd. I refuse to accept that every thing you say is totally representitive of all Christians or even all Bible Believing Christians nor that anything said by someone you disagree with has to represent what I must believe in. You will not force me to believe that all Christians are just like you.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Sorry cannot do. When I communicate with a person either on line or in person I refuse to look at them only as a part of a vast group of some class of people instead of as in individual who deserves credit or blame for themselves and not this abstract herd. I refuse to accept that every thing you say is totally representitive of all Christians or even all Bible Believing Christians nor that anything said by someone you disagree with has to represent what I must believe in. You will not force me to believe that all Christians are just like you.
Nicely done!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:59 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
So in other words, you're not 100% short how life originated, and you're not 100% sure that there is no life after death, but you are 100% sure there is no God. I'll just leave it at that. Obviously my point is going over your head so no need to rehash the rest.
No one is 100% sure about anything and if they tell you they are they're lying. I said none of the things you claim above. What I actually said in effect is that it's already established how life evolved; we have nascent theories about how it originated that are being pursued and in the meantime we don't make stuff up because we're eager to make confident pronouncements; and it's very unlikely there are any gods and even more vanishingly unlikely that your particular god exists. Because it's unlikely and you have no substantiation to offer, I don't afford belief to your deity. These points, obviously are going over your head so no need to rehash the rest.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:53 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Hey, Jeffbase40! What did you think about those threads? A lot of those people went through some gut wrenching experiences, didn't they?
Crickets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality