Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 AM

481 posts, read 263,284 times

Advertisements

The way the world is "in place" is an amazing thing to contemplate:

The core of the earth is molten ironstone and a few other minerals. Why hasn't it cooled down since creation? Well there is friction and movement that keeps the core bubbling. The importance of this is the magnetic field the emanates from the core of the earth into space to hold off radiation, not all radiation or one would not have a suntan. There is no known reason why the earths core would cool down, clever hey?

The earth is on a tilt, surely this is just pure luck that the tilt gives us the four seasons. It is on a tilt that is just perfect for the sun's radiation, which is placed at a spot that gives heat that is not too hot, nor too far away to create constant cold. The earth turns at the exact revolutions to hold a steady climate, any faster and gale force winds would be permanent. Any slower and the surface of the planet would burn beyond human tolerance Clever that hey?

The moon, at one third the size of the earth is just something to create lovey dovey nights for the young...right? Wrong, it is the reason for the tides, which move about the earth's oceans and seas to stir up the waters to stop any from of stagnation, but that's nothing, if the moon did not impress its gravitation on the earth it would spin like a child's top when it is about to stop. The earth would wobble and toss and turn and disintegrate. Clever that Hey?

There is a covering of atmosphere around the earth, it is very thin, but it still protects all earth life from radiation from outer space. Next time you fly around the world in a jet lane, at high altitudes you may be getting as much radiation as you would with five chest Xrays, whilst us stay-at-homes are safe...Clever that Hey?

When the lightening strikes and the thunder frightens the living daylights out of the family dog, remember that the lightening, at its massive voltage, creates nitrogen, nitrogen enters dead matter, animal and vegetation and that recycling process, invented at the beginning of the earth as a livable place for humans, enters the earth and fertilizes the plants, which in turn give off Oxygen as we and other matter and life gives of carbon dioxide consumed by the vegetation in a swap for a life preserving process that we cannot do without. Clever that Hey?

I am always amazed at Jehovah's creation, aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:53 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,826,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

The core of the earth is molten ironstone and a few other minerals. Why hasn't it cooled down since creation? Well there is friction and movement that keeps the core bubbling. The importance of this is the magnetic field the emanates from the core of the earth into space to hold off radiation, not all radiation or one would not have a suntan. There is no known reason why the earths core would cool down, clever hey?

The earth is on a tilt, surely this is just pure luck that the tilt gives us the four seasons. It is on a tilt that is just perfect for the sun's radiation, which is placed at a spot that gives heat that is not too hot, nor too far away to create constant cold. The earth turns at the exact revolutions to hold a steady climate, any faster and gale force winds would be permanent. Any slower and the surface of the planet would burn beyond human tolerance Clever that hey?

The moon, at one third the size of the earth is just something to create lovey dovey nights for the young...right? Wrong, it is the reason for the tides, which move about the earth's oceans and seas to stir up the waters to stop any from of stagnation, but that's nothing, if the moon did not impress its gravitation on the earth it would spin like a child's top when it is about to stop. The earth would wobble and toss and turn and disintegrate. Clever that Hey?

There is a covering of atmosphere around the earth, it is very thin, but it still protects all earth life from radiation from outer space. Next time you fly around the world in a jet lane, at high altitudes you may be getting as much radiation as you would with five chest Xrays, whilst us stay-at-homes are safe...Clever that Hey?

When the lightening strikes and the thunder frightens the living daylights out of the family dog, remember that the lightening, at its massive voltage, creates nitrogen, nitrogen enters dead matter, animal and vegetation and that recycling process, invented at the beginning of the earth as a livable place for humans, enters the earth and fertilizes the plants, which in turn give off Oxygen as we and other matter and life gives of carbon dioxide consumed by the vegetation in a swap for a life preserving process that we cannot do without. Clever that Hey?

No.

I just note the obvious - life exists where it is conducive to life existing. It's not some amazing coincidence that life exists on a planet in the 'Goldilocks zone' around a stable single star far enough away from the hostile core of the galaxy. It exists here because the moon and black holes and the surface of Jupiter and flare stars and clusters and comets and myriad other places are downright lousy, if not impossible, places for life to exist.

It's the same reason that fish live in water and not inside volcanoes and that tropical plants don't live at the north pole.

The world is certainly an interesting place. But there are many trillions of places in our galaxy alone. It's just mathematics.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
I am astonished at the order and complexity, and I can well understand why some cannot believe it wasn't planned that way by a big invisible draftsman. But understanding of how it worked and came about shows this idea to be an untenable one and Jehovah or any other god claimed to be the designer becomes no more than the finger on the button of processes we can't explain. And that is pretty much the origins of cosmic matter with a bit of an angle on human mind, and abiogenesis as yet being unproven. The attempt to make a case oit of DNA codes and the Goldilocks zone fails on examination, so there isn't really anything left but the God -gaps of the as yet Unexplained. And historically using the local god to explain the unexplained has looked a bit childish in retrospect.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:28 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,235 times
I cannot find the stupid link, but I saw a video once on some Christian proofs section that basically asserted that in this universe, in order to have life exist as it does:
  1. We have a universe that has a number of forces like gravity, weak attraction, inertia, etc all of which operate in balance to keep the universe from imploding or planets from crumbling to dust.
  2. We also have to have a universe that allows for suns and orbiting planets.
  3. Now, in order to have a planet for life, it must have the right atmosphere, and the right mix to support carbon (or other) lifeforms.
  4. Next, a big planet like Jupiter is actually important, because it acts as a shield for extinction-level meteors by causing them to hit there instead.
  5. Next, it must be the right location in regard to the sun, not too hot or cold for life. It even needs the right moon, so life is not washed away by rapidly shifting tides.
  6. All of this would protect the world so it could have sustained life, but there are still conditions present to allow life to become diverse (sorry, mister pond scum) and allow for evolution of different types.

Four Ways the Earth Is Fine-Tuned for Life | Cold Case Christianity

So yeah, among all of these million bigger or weirder planets, this kinda is a Goldilocks.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Don't worry about finding the stupid link as this is a well - known apologetic. The rebuttal is that the hole isn't made just the right shape to fit the puddle. Life evolved to suit the conditions. That is also the rebuttal of the Goldilocks - zone argument. We needed two major extinctions for mammals to dominate. That implies lucky chance, nor planning.

Of course I am well aware that even though the building blocks of life (water and biochemicals) are very abundant n the universe, life is so rare an event that we know of no other occurrence in the universe, though we are peering over the fence and haven't started travelling yet. That just makes me regard this life as a lottery win, not as something that had to to be planned, because there is evidence that shows that it wasn't planned.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:25 AM

There were more extinctions that that.

There were FIVE

If it was not planned, I would venture a guess that there would be strong odds of complete extinction level events (in the Permian Extinction instead of 96% it could have been 100%). Instead, this only plays into the narrative of survival of the fittest, not any semblance of random chance.

There are two ways to win a raffle drawing. One is to get extremely lucky. The other is to sneak in at night and replace all the tickets with your number (or buy out the sucker). One is luck, but it's stupid luck, as the house will win. And one is rigging the odds. Einstein agrees.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-17-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,094,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

God does not come face to face and introduce himself by saying "Hi, I am God. And here you go, BOOM !! I turned this boulder into a goat. Is that enough of a proof of my existence?"

God has signs, and those who search for God, look for his sings, ponder upon them (just like you did in the OP) and form a faith, and stay firm on it.

And those who think they do not need/want God, will not take ANYTHING to ponder upon the possibility of God's existence. No matter what proof you put in front them, they will ALWAYS find an excuse to dismiss it.

Even if God comes face to face to them and make the sun rise from the west at their demand, they will STILL not believe in God. They may say, "OHHH... you know may be we are in a dream and or may be our eyes are deceiving us. This cannot be God".

But I tell you what, IF there is God, and if there is Heaven and hell, then the non-believers will not waste a nano-second to believe in the existence God when they see that fire on the judgement day, and they are worried that this is where they may end up being.
But I guess that will be too late to believe in God. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

There may be a few exceptional cases but frankly speaking, the OP is a useless effort to instigate anything for non-believers to ponder upon the possibility of existence of God who is one, who has given them life and he will take it away from them. They won't be able to do anything when their time is up, the bell will ring and curtain will fall on their eyes.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
There were more extinctions that that.

There were FIVE

If it was not planned, I would venture a guess that there would be strong odds of complete extinction level events (in the Permian Extinction instead of 96% it could have been 100%). Instead, this only plays into the narrative of survival of the fittest, not any semblance of random chance.

There are two ways to win a raffle drawing. One is to get extremely lucky. The other is to sneak in at night and replace all the tickets with your number (or buy out the sucker). One is luck, but it's stupid luck, as the house will win. And one is rigging the odds. Einstein agrees.
Correct - there were many extinctions, but the ones that I see as pivotal were the Triassic, which allowed dinosars to dominate and the Cretaceous, which allowed mammals to dominate. Without those, I don't think we'd be here.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:12 PM

TRANSPONDER, lemme ask you something.

Without these dramatic changes, do you think we would have life as advanced as it is?

Each extinction event basically brought with it an evolution event. If not for basically an ice age around Ordovician-Silurian, the creatures that would dominate the land would be horseshoe crabs. If not for Devonian extinction, we would still have those sucky old coral varieties, and life would stay cozy in the sea. After the Permian mass extinction, we had dinosaurs, developed land plants, and loads of bug life. The Triassic-Jurassic period is often explained as an asteroid shower (but I don't buy it, because it was something that killed alot of animals but left plants largely unaffected). Because of this, we had more sophisticated mammals, dinosaurs, etc. Then Cretaceous extinction brought on a massive mammal diversity event.

All of this helped evolution along in stages. Random? Now horseshoe crabs are cold-resistant. You have a limited view of evolution, but these events helped everything. And no, evolution doesn't mean the thing becomes another thing, it's a branching effect. This is why we have monkeys and humans, sauropods (like iguanas), amphibians, and reptiles.

You see a bunch of random events. I see the progression of species. A larger picture.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:06 PM

481 posts, read 263,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
God does not come face to face and introduce himself by saying "Hi, I am God. And here you go, BOOM !! I turned this boulder into a goat. Is that enough of a proof of my existence?"

God has signs, and those who search for God, look for his sings, ponder upon them (just like you did in the OP) and form a faith, and stay firm on it.

And those who think they do not need/want God, will not take ANYTHING to ponder upon the possibility of God's existence. No matter what proof you put in front them, they will ALWAYS find an excuse to dismiss it.

Even if God comes face to face to them and make the sun rise from the west at their demand, they will STILL not believe in God. They may say, "OHHH... you know may be we are in a dream and or may be our eyes are deceiving us. This cannot be God".

But I tell you what, IF there is God, and if there is Heaven and hell, then the non-believers will not waste a nano-second to believe in the existence God when they see that fire on the judgement day, and they are worried that this is where they may end up being.
But I guess that will be too late to believe in God. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone.

There may be a few exceptional cases but frankly speaking, the OP is a useless effort to instigate anything for non-believers to ponder upon the possibility of existence of God who is one, who has given them life and he will take it away from them. They won't be able to do anything when their time is up, the bell will ring and curtain will fall on their eyes.
My post was a simple show of my faith in a living Creator. Faith is not just saying "Yeah! I believe in a god, sorta" it is a belief in "Assured Expectations", in what one takes as the truth and follows that course. I don't need to argue about what I wrote, it is a matter of fact, and because mankind is so vain there are many that could not accept any thought other than their own, and that fails. Consider the powerful men, the great thinkers that built empires only for those empires to crumble to the next powerful group; it has been going on for a long time, and yet mankind feel that they have the power to eventually make a power that will defeat all oncoming powers, and yet, deep down, we know that wont happen, no matter how good the maths are.

Mankind is egotistical in that some think that they have the knowledge of the infinite, but it is impossible for us to comprehend 'nothing' or the smallest thing or the size of the galaxies. but some think they can and make assertions that are either changed by the next power of thought, or lapse into disuse like Darwin's theories.

IMO there is a reason for the confusion, the denial of any creator, the 'terror' in accepting a God who is soon to get angry with it all, and that his adversary, Satan the Devil, but that is my faith, but like the ones that keep trying to come up with something else that caused all the perfection for the Earth as a place of human habitation, I do not have to keep coming up with new and novel explanations as I have the "Assured Expectations" Of God's word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality