Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,880,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
By boring I mean... human nature requires conflict. If there is none, we elect it.

Don't believe me? Okay, I'll tell you a fairy tale.

Once upon a time the was a warrior. And a princess. And a dragon. The dragon kidnapped the princess. The knight prayed to God, "please save the princess for me..." And so the dragon was slain, and they knight and princess lived happily ever after.

Uhhhh...?

Versus this one.

Once upon a time, same deal. The prince prayed "God please do this for me." And God said "this is your quest, I shall not do it for you. But if you desire it, I will protect you from the fires of the dragon." It was a fierce battle, but ultimately, the knight triumphed. And in his princess's eyes he saw the face of God. They kissed, or something.

Fundamentally even if you take issue with the trippy religious overtones, a story with no conflict just seems off somehow.

Why do believers always do this? Because they are hinting at a glaring contradiction.

Believe in God, believe/don't in human responsibility. Don't believe God, believe instead in human responsibility. No contradiction.

Don't believe in God, blame God when things go wrong. Whopper contradiction.

If you want to be an atheist, you must let go of God blame, or you are not believing honestly.
How about you learn to edit your posts via the forum 'Quote' function so that they are easier to answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
If you want to be an atheist, you must let go of God blame, or you are not believing honestly.
I don't make the points because I believe in gods but to show the fallibility of what YOU believe.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:22 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
By boring I mean... human nature requires conflict. If there is none, we elect it.

Don't believe me? Okay, I'll tell you a fairy tale.

Once upon a time the was a warrior. And a princess. And a dragon. The dragon kidnapped the princess. The knight prayed to God, "please save the princess for me..." And so the dragon was slain, and they knight and princess lived happily ever after.

Uhhhh...?

Versus this one.

Once upon a time, same deal. The prince prayed "God please do this for me." And God said "this is your quest, I shall not do it for you. But if you desire it, I will protect you from the fires of the dragon." It was a fierce battle, but ultimately, the knight triumphed. And in his princess's eyes he saw the face of God. They kissed, or something.

Fundamentally even if you take issue with the trippy religious overtones, a story with no conflict just seems off somehow.

Why do believers always do this? Because they are hinting at a glaring contradiction.

Believe in God, believe/don't in human responsibility. Don't believe God, believe instead in human responsibility. No contradiction.

Don't believe in God, blame God when things go wrong. Whopper contradiction.

|n inescapable consequence of letting go of belief in a god is having nobody to blame for the way things are other than ourselves.

however, for those who do believe in a god - a hands -on -god, at any rte, DO have to deal with the god -blame aspect. But they try to weasel out of it by reverting to variations upon the theme of 'It's Our Fault'.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
|n inescapable consequence of letting go of belief in a god is having nobody to blame for the way things are other than ourselves.

however, for those who do believe in a god - a hands -on -god, at any rte, DO have to deal with the god -blame aspect. But they try to weasel out of it by reverting to variations upon the theme of 'It's Our Fault'.
What a lucky fellow is ol'Yahweh. He get the credit for all the good and is exonerated from all the bad! Not only is he exonerated from all the bad but his followers actually take the blame for him LOL!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,578,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
The way the world is "in place" is an amazing thing to contemplate:

The core of the earth is molten ironstone and a few other minerals. Why hasn't it cooled down since creation? Well there is friction and movement that keeps the core bubbling. The importance of this is the magnetic field the emanates from the core of the earth into space to hold off radiation, not all radiation or one would not have a suntan. There is no known reason why the earths core would cool down, clever hey?

The earth is on a tilt, surely this is just pure luck that the tilt gives us the four seasons. It is on a tilt that is just perfect for the sun's radiation, which is placed at a spot that gives heat that is not too hot, nor too far away to create constant cold. The earth turns at the exact revolutions to hold a steady climate, any faster and gale force winds would be permanent. Any slower and the surface of the planet would burn beyond human tolerance Clever that hey?

The moon, at one third the size of the earth is just something to create lovey dovey nights for the young...right? Wrong, it is the reason for the tides, which move about the earth's oceans and seas to stir up the waters to stop any from of stagnation, but that's nothing, if the moon did not impress its gravitation on the earth it would spin like a child's top when it is about to stop. The earth would wobble and toss and turn and disintegrate. Clever that Hey?

There is a covering of atmosphere around the earth, it is very thin, but it still protects all earth life from radiation from outer space. Next time you fly around the world in a jet lane, at high altitudes you may be getting as much radiation as you would with five chest Xrays, whilst us stay-at-homes are safe...Clever that Hey?

When the lightening strikes and the thunder frightens the living daylights out of the family dog, remember that the lightening, at its massive voltage, creates nitrogen, nitrogen enters dead matter, animal and vegetation and that recycling process, invented at the beginning of the earth as a livable place for humans, enters the earth and fertilizes the plants, which in turn give off Oxygen as we and other matter and life gives of carbon dioxide consumed by the vegetation in a swap for a life preserving process that we cannot do without. Clever that Hey?

I am always amazed at Jehovah's creation, aren't you?

You'd get the same result without a creator as well, since life not adapted to the existent conditions wouldn't.. exist. And formations that can't form absent the then-existing conditions wouldn't.. form.

etc.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:04 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,350,477 times
I like how you snuck your particular "truth" into the very end. Sneaky! You have met this creator person? You could perhaps introduce them to us? We would like to meet them. Otherwise, it's simply acceptance of something written in a book. There are a LOT of books out there! Many claim to have this creator being in them, and they are all different.

Dogma.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:24 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,372,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
An inescapable consequence of letting go of belief in a god is having nobody to blame for the way things are other than ourselves.

Yes.

Part of this is because one assigns God as benevolent. If God is doing good for us, the only way this can then be God's fault is if it is some way of building moral value through discipline ("character"). It is not viewed as essential though to believe that God is responsible to evil (belief in human evil, belief in a Satan character, etc) whereas unbelief in God contradicts blame of God. Now, there is a branch of theism known as maltheism, but this still involves accepting the existence of God.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:49 PM

481 posts, read 263,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Whelp, let's see what the astronomers have to say about this "luck.":

Astronomers using NASA data have calculated for the first time that in our galaxy alone, there are at least 8.8 billion stars with Earth-size planets in the habitable temperature zone.
8.8 billion habitable Earth-size planets exist in Milky Way alone - NBC News

and

And that was the working estimate for the next two decades, until this week. Astronomers at the University of Nottingham now say the number of galaxies in the observable Universe is 2 trillion, more than 10 times as many as previously thought.
How Many Galaxies Are There? - The Atlantic

So, what's 8.8 billion multiplied by 2 trillion? It's a lot. That's what that is.

But it is neat though. We also have Jupiter to keep asteroids hitting it rather than us.
Every entry I looked at said "Similar Temperature", and accorded this as being habitable for human life, Some suggested that they would be habitable for "life". Others got really carried away.

The Bible does not say that life on earth is the only existing life, but then again it doesn't say that there is life on other planets in the vastness of the universe. The Bible was written for mankind on this earth, and that is all Christians should concentrate on for a uniformed, safe and reliable existence.

The Kelper study said it found 979 confirmed planets in the milky way or our galaxy ( I like that term "Our Milky way",but actually it is more mine than yours, so there lol) NASA is also one of the world organizations that needs government funding, which seems to stimulate sudden 'finds' and 'discoveries' around re-funding time.

You will see this happen a lot when there is an anthropological study team in some sub-tropical Island that have discovered new human forms that still exist. Strangely, after they are re-funded thre is a small article saying that they might have to re-think their previous 'discovery'.

Jehovah said that he knows the name of every "article" in the universe or universes, maybe we should ask Jehovah.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Wink Just by Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You'd get the same result without a creator as well, since life not adapted to the existent conditions wouldn't.. exist. And formations that can't form absent the then-existing conditions wouldn't.. form.

etc.
And they would happen "Just by Chance" etc. Yeah, Sure!!!!!!

There is a little rural town in Australia called 'Come-by-Chance', I wonder if that is the advent of life in the world?

Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 PM

If I see a post that is aimed at someone else, I usually do not look to see if I am included, ergo I do not answer questions or reply to any comment coming from that post.

I have gone over posts after some time, or happened to catch my "name" as I roll past, and then I will go back and read, but this is after I have been accused of not answering a question. Oh! it is a hard life being infallible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality