Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,374,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh look...nothing!

Day two...and still nothing.
I'm not online all the time to cater to your boredom.

Quote:
mir·a·cle
ˈmirək(ə)l/
noun
noun: miracle; plural noun: miracles
  1. a surprising and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore considered to be the work of a divine agency.
  2. a highly improbable or extraordinary event, development, or accomplishment that brings very welcome consequences.
  3. an amazing product or achievement, or an outstanding example of something.
Let's look at the last one. An amazing product or achievement. I imagine you've been watching TV commercials at least once in the last 48 hours?

These are miracles (under definition 3, and in some cases 2) of technology. Again, would you consider these miracles? You probably skipped them, so I'd venture a no-guess.

Quote:
Quote:
So your way of answering questions is to ask questions in order to deflect? Before we go any further with this, let's see if you actually know what you are talking about.

1. Would you please explain to us the general idea of DNA genome mapping and how it is used to track the genotypic background of a modern species?
2. Explain three types of tRNA or DNA transcription errors in mitosis.
Are you going to answer Marakorpa...or perhaps you'll find it easier to simply admit that you are yet another evolution denier that doesn't even understand the bog-standard basics about the process he is saying is false and just can't happen.
So, if you ask a physics major about art and he doesn't know, does this really test his knowledge, or just that you've found something that is outside his expertise so that must mean he's stupid about everything! Or... not.

Even among scientists, genetics is definitely a different field than say chemistry or zoology. I know some about genetic deformities, including several intersex conditions. I still can't tell you what these all-important three errors are. Maybe because they aren't that important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 01:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,889,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Let's look at the last one. An amazing product or achievement. I imagine you've been watching TV commercials at least once in the last 48 hours?
Nice side-step but it won't work. No. Let's look at what we understand to be 'miracles' and what you meant as 'miracles' That would be those of a religious type. You know the sort...'My uncle was diagnosed with incurable cancer and given 1 week to live but we all prayed and the cancer disappeared without trace.' You know very well what we are talking about.

Quote:
So, if you ask a physics major about art and he doesn't know, does this really test his knowledge, or just that you've found something that is outside his expertise so that must mean he's stupid about everything! Or... not.
Nothing to do with things that are outside one's scope of knowledge. If one is stating that something just cannot happen, that experts in the field are wrong and that the mountain of evidence for that something is false, then I would expect them to have an understanding of, at least the bog-standard basics of what they are stating is false. Marakorpa clearly doesn't have that basic knowledge. I wouldn't tell a aeronautic engineer that the way he is designing an aircraft is wrong unless I was at least au fait with the basic process of aircraft design. So it is with my question to marakorpa. If he is going to say that evolution is false, I would like to know just what he knows about the subject.

Old 12-25-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Are you going to answer Marakorpa...or perhaps you'll find it easier to simply admit that you are yet another evolution denier that doesn't even understand the bog-standard basics about the process he is saying is false and just can't happen.
Yep!!!

Old 12-25-2016, 03:20 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,827,506 times
Quote:
Nice side-step but it won't work. No. Let's look at what we understand to be 'miracles' and what you meant as 'miracles' That would be those of a religious type. You know the sort...'My uncle was diagnosed with incurable cancer and given 1 week to live but we all prayed and the cancer disappeared without trace.' You know very well what we are talking about.

Nothing to do with things that are outside one's scope of knowledge. If one is stating that something just cannot happen, that experts in the field are wrong and that the mountain of evidence for that something is false, then I would expect them to have an understanding of, at least the bog-standard basics of what they are stating is false. Marakorpa clearly doesn't have that basic knowledge. I wouldn't tell a aeronautic engineer that the way he is designing an aircraft is wrong unless I was at least au fait with the basic process of aircraft design. So it is with my question to marakorpa. If he is going to say that evolution is false, I would like to know just what he knows about the subject.
That is amazing. Bulma talks of showing miracles and we wouldn't believe them. You ask for some and after trying the "I don't have to if I don't want to" line, tries to pass off the achievements of science as a "Miracle". I'd say you just let him trash his own credibility.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That is amazing. Bulma talks of showing miracles and we wouldn't believe them. You ask for some and after trying the "I don't have to if I don't want to" line, tries to pass off the achievements of science as a "Miracle". I'd say you just let him trash his own credibility.
Yeah! Sort of....

Old 12-27-2016, 05:16 PM

Notice how so many threads seem to be closing down for a New year start?

"Picard said the earth looked flat"
"you don't Get the Bible"
"Science is a miracle, ergo God"

Wrap 'em up and in the bin with the bones, folks.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,374,439 times
Quote:

The one doing the side stepping is you. I'm not been paying a load of attention to this thread, but I see miracles on a daily basis. They are small things that change people's livres for the better. Watch Bruce Almighty agaim. A miracle is not a magic trick. It is how things change for the better and more often than than not a result of human actions. All of this technology listed is a miracle, it offers people a vision of a better world.

I believe I bet earlier that you would not see these as miracles, and I was right. This is also a miracle known as prophecy. Also called simple prediction.

I am not sure I even agree with definition 1 of miracle. This is almost identical to the definition of magic (aside from the parlor trick definition). The important thing about a miracle is not that it is unexplained, but that is a manifestation of the divine, so my definition 1 is:

1. A physical or symbolic demonstration of divine or supernatural presence, which may or may not occur in violation of natural laws.

Not only do you seem to have not even basic knowledge about what miracles are or what they are for, but you fail humanity forever. Human beings have social ties. Meaning even if you beef was with him, if I partially agree with and/or admire Marakorpa, your beef is also with me.

So, Earth is a good place to live due to the miracle of life. Understanding the miracle of life means you must also understand what a miracle is for. If ypu do not understand what a miracle is for, it means you do not know what one looks like or why it matters. Why this Earth is a good place to live.

Why did I emphasize the demonstration of divine power rather than the "not explicable by science part"? Because a miracle can be something as simple as one's loved ones being there for Christmas. Or a mom working tewo jobs to support her kid when she could have given up. These are demonstrations of divine presence, but they are not in violation of nature. What is a miracle for? It's to teach. Feeding 5000 would be a magic trick if it didnt demonstrate anything, but it says " we have enough when we share." The miracle of life shows that "everything has a Mother and Father." A Creator. God doesnt want our worship. He/She wants our love.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-30-2016 at 04:29 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,389,906 times
Quote:
The one doing the side stepping is you. I'm not been paying a load of attention to this thread, but I see miracles on a daily basis. They are small things that change people's livres for the better. Watch Bruce Almighty agaim
You see miracles on a daily basis, and the example you choose is to point at a piece of Hollywood comedy fiction? Wow.

The only issue I see really with what you are writing however is that the definition of "miracle" you are using is so dilute that it can apply to pretty much anything, for pretty much any reason. And for me, at least, a word that can say anything..... says essentially nothing.

Something is a "miracle" subjectively to you if you personally find it remarkable. The results of your misuse of probability for example, or the concept of actually substantiating your claims which would be miraculous were it ever to occur under your definition of "miracle".

But subjective it clearly is as it just has to be remarkable TO YOU to be a "miracle". But something remarkable to you might not be to me. For example because I understand statistics and biology better than you, I do not find the rise of life on this planet in this solar system to be as remarkable or improbably as you. Mainly because I do not make the "Puddle Fallacy" error that you so willingly make.

Not to mention it is hardly the definition most people are using when they are posting in the very specific context of a "religion and spirituality" forum.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
The one doing the side stepping is you. I'm not been paying a load of attention to this thread, but I see miracles on a daily basis. They are small things that change people's lives for the better. Watch Bruce Almighty again. A miracle is not a magic trick. It is how things change for the better and more often than than not a result of human actions. All of this technology listed is a miracle, it offers people a vision of a better world.

I believe I bet earlier that you would not see these as miracles, and I was right. This is also a miracle known as prophecy. Also called simple prediction.

I am not sure I even agree with definition 1 of miracle. This is almost identical to the definition of magic (aside from the parlor trick definition). The important thing about a miracle is not that it is unexplained, but that is a manifestation of the divine, so my definition 1 is:

1. A physical or symbolic demonstration of divine or supernatural presence, which may or may not occur in violation of natural laws.

Not only do you seem to have not even basic knowledge about what miracles are or what they are for, but you fail humanity forever. Human beings have social ties. Meaning even if you beef was with him, if I partially agree with and/or admire Marakorpa, your beef is also with me.

So, Earth is a good place to live due to the miracle of life. Understanding the miracle of life means you must also understand what a miracle is for. If ypu do not understand what a miracle is for, it means you do not know what one looks like or why it matters. Why this Earth is a good place to live.

Why did I emphasize the demonstration of divine power rather than the "not explicable by science part"? Because a miracle can be something as simple as one's loved ones being there for Christmas. Or a mom working tewo jobs to support her kid when she could have given up. These are demonstrations of divine presence, but they are not in violation of nature. What is a miracle for? It's to teach. Feeding 5000 would be a magic trick if it didnt demonstrate anything, but it says " we have enough when we share." The miracle of life shows that "everything has a Mother and Father." A Creator. God doesnt want our worship. He/She wants our love.
Nozz won the trick. The ploy of passing off natural stuff as 'miracles', whether science. technology or our own efforts as 'a miracle!' is evidence of nothing about theism but the dishonesty of its arguments.

It's true that the courage and determination that Faith can bring is often impressive, and the focus and meaning that Faith can bring to someone that can't think of one himself or had Lost it, can lead to an amazing turnaround. That has been a rich source of propaganda for religion, but is never a sound argument.

Courage through faith works in all religions and probably none, if we could just harness the mechanism. And the promise that dying in a holy war will guarantee you an eternal life in paradise, will guarantee the general a dozen berserkers for the Forlorn Hope.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-30-2016 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: I couldn't decide "of"or "off" ...need more coffee...

Old 12-30-2016, 05:50 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,024,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
The way the world is "in place" is an amazing thing to contemplate:

The core of the earth is molten ironstone and a few other minerals. Why hasn't it cooled down since creation? Well there is friction and movement that keeps the core bubbling. The importance of this is the magnetic field the emanates from the core of the earth into space to hold off radiation, not all radiation or one would not have a suntan. There is no known reason why the earths core would cool down, clever hey?

The earth is on a tilt, surely this is just pure luck that the tilt gives us the four seasons. It is on a tilt that is just perfect for the sun's radiation, which is placed at a spot that gives heat that is not too hot, nor too far away to create constant cold. The earth turns at the exact revolutions to hold a steady climate, any faster and gale force winds would be permanent. Any slower and the surface of the planet would burn beyond human tolerance Clever that hey?

The moon, at one third the size of the earth is just something to create lovey dovey nights for the young...right? Wrong, it is the reason for the tides, which move about the earth's oceans and seas to stir up the waters to stop any from of stagnation, but that's nothing, if the moon did not impress its gravitation on the earth it would spin like a child's top when it is about to stop. The earth would wobble and toss and turn and disintegrate. Clever that Hey?

There is a covering of atmosphere around the earth, it is very thin, but it still protects all earth life from radiation from outer space. Next time you fly around the world in a jet lane, at high altitudes you may be getting as much radiation as you would with five chest Xrays, whilst us stay-at-homes are safe...Clever that Hey?

When the lightening strikes and the thunder frightens the living daylights out of the family dog, remember that the lightening, at its massive voltage, creates nitrogen, nitrogen enters dead matter, animal and vegetation and that recycling process, invented at the beginning of the earth as a livable place for humans, enters the earth and fertilizes the plants, which in turn give off Oxygen as we and other matter and life gives of carbon dioxide consumed by the vegetation in a swap for a life preserving process that we cannot do without. Clever that Hey?

I am always amazed at Jehovah's creation, aren't you?
The world is the best address because it's the only address most of us have ever known. But, according to some, there are other options in outer-space. In fact, President Obama has opened space exploration to private firms.
https://www.nasa.gov/news/media/tran...ksc_trans.html
This should give hope to those who are continually bogged in communal issues on the third rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality