Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 PM

6,321 posts, read 4,348,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Probably best if you don't use the s-word too liberally on this forum. Maybe you missed a memo.
Noted. Oh ... and you might not want to use the l-word too, uhm ... often ... on this forum. There's a memo circulating around about that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM

10,122 posts, read 5,044,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Genesis 1:11 where it states that God created the plants on the third day. He didn't created the sun until the fourth day.
What verse says God 'created' the Sun on the 4th day ?_______

I read at Genesis 1:1 God ' CREATED'......
However, at verse 16 I do Not read the word CREATED but rather the word: MADE. ( Not the word MAKE as in Create)
Just as a parent can pro-create a child and then the existing child can be MADE to do something like made to sit in a chair.
So, to my comprehension God MADE the existing CREATED light do something, The CREATED light has a job to do.
The already CREATED Sun ( and moon = reflected sunlight ) besides the stars would rule over the day and night.
No where do I read the word CREATED in connection to the 4th creative day.

Last edited by Matthew 4:4; 06-07-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Even if we are not to take the bible literally, that seems like a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't try to rationalize it too much. There are many supernatural aspects to the bible. Jesus walks on water, turns water to wine, heals the blind and sick by touching them, etc. Genesis is no different; divine creation of mankind and the universe was supposed to be a supernatural or miraculous event just as it is written.

What Jesus did was 'small scale' while on Earth. What Jesus did was a small sample, a preview or a coming attraction of what Jesus will be doing on a grand-global scale during his coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth.
Then there will be the blessing of the benefit of healing for earth's nations according to Revelation 22:2.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
In Genesis 'heavens' is not outer space. It's the sky above.
Sky plus outer space ( our material realm of existence ) Sorry I was Not more clear.
God's home is heaven or meaning the 'heaven of heavens' according to 1st Kings chapter 8.
Whereas, the sky above ( mid-heavens where the birds fly ) would also include the material heavenly bodies of outer space in Genesis chapter One. In other words, first God created the invisible realm where the angels live before He created the visible material/physical realm of existence.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,363,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What Jesus did was 'small scale' while on Earth. What Jesus did was a small sample, a preview or a coming attraction of what Jesus will be doing on a grand-global scale during his coming millennium-long day of governing over Earth.
Then there will be the blessing of the benefit of healing for earth's nations according to Revelation 22:2.
Why wait two millenia to rule for one? Sorry but a real question as I do not understand why you have to wait 2000 years until things are going to be alright. And if everything was good to be left for 2000 years why not another 2000 years before his return?

Old 06-08-2017, 07:26 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,935,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Wow, I didn't know I would spark such an interesting scientific debate. I figured this thread would die an ignominious death after, perhaps 2 or 3 responses.
An Evolution vs. Genesis thread can be bet on to go to 80 pages.

Quote:

However, at verse 16 I do Not read the word CREATED but rather the word: MADE. ( Not the word MAKE as in Create)
Just as a parent can pro-create a child and then the existing child can be MADE to do something like made to sit in a chair.
So, to my comprehension God MADE the existing CREATED light do something, The CREATED light has a job to do.
The already CREATED Sun ( and moon = reflected sunlight ) besides the stars would rule over the day and night.
So far as I can see 'bara' for 'created' is used at the beginning, and thereafter for each act of creating something not there before 'wayas' or some derivative is used. Therefore sun and moon are 'made' that were not (for all Genesis seems to say) there before, no more than birds or veg, or anything else. Translation -tinkering won't solve that particular problem for you. Even if it would make sense that there was Light before there was an object to produce or reflect it.

I know that some had tried to argue that God's own light was the light before the sun was made, but all the light we see now is from the sun and a little bit from stars (also made afterwards). So if it isn't detectable now, there is no good reason to suppose it was detectable back then.

Genesis, whichever way you slice (or translate) it does not accord with what we can tell about how everything really came to be.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-08-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 11:21 AM

11,162 posts, read 6,089,341 times
A thing about the creation account is that there was no-one around to witness it and record it. So.....
Ok, so literalists then say 'inspired word of God'. But that 'word' is so full of human errors that it must surely be obvious it is NOT the inspired word.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:09 AM

2,310 posts, read 909,189 times
Quote:

The word "created" is just another word for "make" as shown in verse 26 and 28.

[SIZE=2]26 [/SIZE]And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
[SIZE=2]27 [/SIZE]So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

It's almost as if God knew people will try to read more into a single word than it needs to be read.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 AM

2,310 posts, read 909,189 times
Quote:
A thing about the creation account is that there was no-one around to witness it and record it. So.....
Ok, so literalists then say 'inspired word of God'. But that 'word' is so full of human errors that it must surely be obvious it is NOT the inspired word.
What errors for example?

Old 06-11-2017, 10:13 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,935,171 times
Quote:
Very good. I remember I discussed this with our old pal Eusebius when he he was arguing the 'cloud cover' theory. Which is that the sun and moon were there before the earth and so the light was there from the start, even though the earth was covered in clouds (you can even prove this by a passage in Job ) and so you saw the light, even though you couldn't see the sun until after the clouds cleared a bit.

This is no doubt very plausible, especially to those who dearly wanted o believe that Genesis could be made to fit with science.

Bu as you observed - nobody was there to see it. So just how did "Moses" know that there was light and then (when the clouds cleared) there was the sun and the moon. Well, it can only be that God revealed it to him.

In which case, why didn't God tell him what was actually happening instead of telling him a lot of tripe which would just make Genesis look stupid later on?

There are actually three answers, one good, one bad and one Eusebius'. But let's let the believer -apologists scratch their bonces over it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality