Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Love curry, would hate to ruin it for you, BUT.....

Here's an example of faith. I get told I have terminal cancer that has spread to many other organs after hemorrhaging starts. I go, in shock, for prayer to a friend who also hears His voice. He tells her to tell me not to even worry about it, won't let her even pray, says it's been taken care of. Now that's called "word of knowledge" among the gifts of the Holy Ghost. That WORD, mixed with MY FAITH, produced the evidence, that evidence being that after 3 biopsies in different areas, all of which came back negative, I was healed.

Here's another one. I asked Him for a house to raise my children in. I had a dream of a particular house. The same week, a woman from another State tells me through word of knowledge again, that the Lord said He is going to provide me a house. Four months later, I'm on a road I've never been on before, and I see the house in my dream, and go put in an offer on a house without a dime for a down payment, JUST BECAUSE, the Lord showed me that was my house. This was the first year of my walk. In 2 weeks time He provided the $12000 down payment (big money 32 years ago), and we bought the house.

And it gets better. The day of closing, the former owners who grew up there, asked to take a last walk through. BECAUSE we are to praise the Lord for ALL that He does, I told them what He did for me. They both looked at each other with big wide open eyes, and told me that a certain church had wanted to buy the place for the pastor. The pastor, who also hears G-d, told them the Lord said no, that He wanted it to go to a different minister.

These are the kinds of things that BELIEVERS walk in; it's a world unto itself that is hidden from casual observation. When I was an agnostic Jew, I had NO IDEA that people like "this" actually existed, EVER, like the book of Acts, much less that they STILL DO. But exist we do, and G-d is no respecter of persons, and what He does for one He will do for all, IF they will humble themselves to come to Him, nothing held back. And as always, I have multitudes of witness to every word. Peace
When did "the spirit" tell you to burn your mother's books?

Old 05-26-2017, 01:22 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In other words... you rely on confirmation bias.

Because that's what you're describing in your above quote.

"Yes, I have faith in X." And because you do, suddenly you can rationalize whatever you like to be evidence or even proof that X actually exists. Because you're looking for evidence that fits your preconceived conclusion and excluding all of the evidence that contradicts it.

Thus, one can rationalize: "Because I believe in God, the fact that I survived a massive car crash proves that God -- not any God, mind you, but the God of my Religion -- intervened to save me from certain death."

Except surviving a crash proves nothing except that ... you survived a crash. And perhaps that the car you were in had excellent engineering and safety standards.

It is your confirmation bias toward an existing God that allows you to automatically assume that your survival could have ONLY occurred due to the meddling of a very specific god.

When you say that proof will manifest once one has faith is almost the very definition of confirmation bias.

I can do that with anything. In fact, excess reliance on faith that a particular conclusion is the truth despite evidence to the contrary is what causes things like wild conspiracy theories, "fatal attraction" romances, successful scams, and a litany of other not-so-great things to occur rather frequently.

If I had faith that, say, Tokyo doesn't actually exist, believe me, I could manifest quite a lot of "proof" and argue with the best of 'em as to why I'm quite correct. Of course, I wouldn't be correct, but by golly I could argue and twist logic to make it appear as though I were!

Faith is a deceiver more times than not -- faith twists and morphs the world into something we *want* it to be rather than what it actually *is* and, at that point, we stop making wise decisions.

No, I rely on what has been said already, and what He says in this moment, knowing that He is not a liar like men, as He proves when He PRODUCES the thing prayed for or spoken about. Faith in Him and His Word is like the gas that moves the car. No gas, no movement.

People that don't have gas therefore would look ridiculous cursing the car, blathering about their anger and disillusionment over the fact the car wouldn't budge an inch, and ridiculing others whose cars DO have gas and DO move. Then to make matters worse, rationalizing that must mean the car won't work ever, so, "I'll just shove the car off a cliff; that'll show it!" Peace

Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Your soul doesn't need saving -- that's religious propaganda to keep butts in the pews and the tithes coming.

Collagen, created by red blood cells, heals your body.

Your experiences give you wisdom.

Your prayers aren't answered to any greater capacity than what random chance couldn't explain.

The End.

No, I was an agnostic Jew, and believe me when I tell you it did, and only a spiritual experience like what I had could have changed me overnight.

Think so? Is it random chance I've had my heart healed, my crushed elbow healed to perfection, my 4 discs in my back healed so well a mylegram couldn't even detect the scar tissue, terminal cancer healed without any medical intervention, both my knees healed from ruptured tendons and torn meniscus, my lungs healed from adult onset pulmonary disease (think like emphysema) and my eyes made better than perfect 20/20 at age 60, do you think? Nor is it random chance a lot of my friends of the same belief structure have also experience an "abnormal" number of healings without medical intervention of any kind, including from terminal cancer. He is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow and He healed then, and He heals now, plus a WHOLE LOT of other things.

And wisdom from above doesn't come from natural experiences. It comes from the Spirit. Peace

Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Then just throw it in the backyard. A snack for some coyote or hawk.
But don't venture out too far...I wouldn't want you to fall off the edge of the Earth.
Ya gotta admit...this board has some wild stuff. Where else could you get "Flat Earth" declarations in 2017?! Whoo-Hoo!!

The evidence is overwhelming if you just look for it!

Old 05-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm a staunch cynic -- most of the happiness I once felt went bye-bye around the time I graduated from college; the rest of my happiness followed suit a few years later when I became the victim of 24/7/365 pain (I have to be constantly drugged -- missing a dose by even an hour will let the pain through). I'd be happier if I had more of a "life."

I appreciate your compliments though and yeah, I've thought about writing. Many times, in fact.

Unfortunately with my condition I can't be tied to deadlines -- the most I could do is freelance. Ugh, if I didn't feel so lousy so often I'd have the energy to pursue it, but most days it's a supreme act of will just to fire up the motivation to make myself a sandwich.

Who knows, though ... perhaps one day I'll see an opportunity. I dunnae.

Identify what happened around the time you graduated from college that brought bitterness and you've found the root. Blessings and peace to you.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
The evidence is overwhelming if you just look for it!

That is hilarious....

Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
...terminal cancer healed without any medical intervention,
both my knees healed from ruptured tendons and torn meniscus,
my lungs healed from adult onset pulmonary disease (think like emphysema) and
my eyes made better than perfect 20/20 at age 60, do you think?
It comes from the Spirit. Peace
Wow! I didn't know all this.
Haha, a funny story...a friend came over ...we sat in my backyard...before she left I
asked if she had ever done a healing...No. ..."Well, I want you to do one on my right knee..." (had sharp, stabbing knife pains, shooting)
She cupped my knee said, 'something'...have not had knee pain since that August in 2009. Not once.
She has since gone to a school for healing, encouraged by me.
Why it is so hard to believe in this stuff is beyond me...Spirit is the glue that permeates everything...
made everything, so
of course, you can ask It and It will do anything you believe It will ...that is, that you are open and
allowing and accepting of...(Don't really care for saying 'It'., btw)
Simple formula...Ask, believe and receive. Tada!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
Faith in Him and His Word is like the gas that moves the car.
No gas, no movement.

People that don't have gas therefore would look ridiculous cursing the car, blathering about their anger and disillusionment over the fact the car wouldn't budge an inch,
and ridiculing others whose cars DO have gas and DO move.
Then to make matters worse, rationalizing that must mean the car won't work ever,
so, "I'll just shove the car off a cliff; that'll show it!" Peace
Great analogy!! ha ha... then thinking the car won't ever work...perfect.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Love curry, would hate to ruin it for you, BUT.....
Trust me, you couldn't make my home -made curry any worse than it is.

Quote:
Here's an example of faith. I get told I have terminal cancer that has spread to many other organs after hemorrhaging starts. I go, in shock, for prayer to a friend who also hears His voice. He tells her to tell me not to even worry about it, won't let her even pray, says it's been taken care of. Now that's called "word of knowledge" among the gifts of the Holy Ghost. That WORD, mixed with MY FAITH, produced the evidence, that evidence being that after 3 biopsies in different areas, all of which came back negative, I was healed. Actually, I was healed when He spoke it, the biopsies just confirmed it.

Here's another one. I asked Him for a house to raise my children in. I had a dream of a particular house. The same week, a woman from another State tells me through word of knowledge again, that the Lord said He is going to provide me a house. Four months later, I'm on a road I've never been on before, and I see the house in my dream, and go put in an offer on a house without a dime for a down payment, JUST BECAUSE, the Lord showed me that was my house. This was the first year of my walk. In 2 weeks time He provided the $12000 down payment (big money 32 years ago), and we bought the house.

And it gets better. The day of closing, the former owners who grew up there, asked to take a last walk through. BECAUSE we are to praise the Lord for ALL that He does, I told them what He did for me. They both looked at each other with big wide open eyes, and told me that a certain church had wanted to buy the place for the pastor. The pastor, who also hears G-d, told them the Lord said no, that He wanted it to go to a different minister.

These are the kinds of things that BELIEVERS walk in; it's a world unto itself that is hidden from casual observation. When I was an agnostic Jew, I had NO IDEA that people like "this" actually existed, EVER, like the book of Acts, much less that they STILL DO. But exist we do, and G-d is no respecter of persons, and what He does for one He will do for all, IF they will humble themselves to come to Him, nothing held back. And as always, I have multitudes of witness to every word. Peace
As always anecdotes about divine intervention carry no weight. I have had two major 'divine intervention' effects in my life and I wasn't praying or ever a believer. One was my mind playing tricks on my body and the other a lucky coincidence. If I was a believer, I could pick and choose (and edit, if need be) all sorts of examples and evidences of God's intervention, when I just sorted it myself or things went right- never mind God's intervention (saying No) when things didn't go right (God always knows best, eh?).

I won't even do more than touch on the rather familiar "My mother, she was dying' of cancer, see, and the doctors say she won't last the night...." story. I recall a poster of such a story who couldn't apparently decide whether it was personal experience of a friend told him.

To me it's just more bias confirmation.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-26-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wow! I didn't know all this.
Haha, a funny story...a friend came over ...we sat in my backyard...before she left I
asked if she had ever done a healing...No. ..."Well, I want you to do one on my right knee..." (had sharp, stabbing knife pains, shooting)
She cupped my knee said, 'something'...have not had knee pain since that August in 2009. Not once.
She has since gone to a school for healing, encouraged by me.
Why it is so hard to believe in this stuff is beyond me...Spirit is the glue that permeates everything...
made everything, so
of course, you can ask It and It will do anything you believe It will ...that is, that you are open and
allowing and accepting of...(Don't really care for saying 'It'., btw)
Simple formula...Ask, believe and receive. Tada!

I believe you. Mature faith is the simplest thing to have in one way, yet the hardest to attain and hang onto. Once you have it, you wonder why on earth you didn't have it before, because it seems so simple. And it's like a muscle, the more you exercise it, the stronger it gets.

Darn carnal beastly mind, usurping the mind of the Spirit. Sometimes I'd like to rip it forcibly out of myself, never mind others. I literally commanded it beneath my feet (every enemy beneath His feet in us) in the form of a spirit of intellect, for the first two years of my walk. Knowing that's what keeps the flesh alive, I asked Him early on to please just "kill me" and get it over with! But He said if He did, I'd die from the shock of it. So it's a process, here a little, there a little, the darn thing dies a slow death, but not soon enough for me. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality