Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,624,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The only people telling Jeff Varner to "rot in Hell" would be people that believe Hell exists. That would include Christians and Muslims. It would not include Buddhists, Wiccans, Pagans, Jews, Hindi, or Atheists.

So, it begs the question. Who told him to "rot in Hell?" (I'll bet it wasn't the Buddhists or the Atheists.)

BTW, I watch the program too. I thought it was an incredibly unkind thing to do to a person. "Coming out" is a very personal decision that a person should be allowed to make for themselves.
BOOM! Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,299,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well that would be like saying atheists can never say the GD word because they don't believe in God. Telling someone to go to hell can be a form of profanity even if you don't believe in it.

There is a difference between telling someone to "go to hell", which could simply be a variation of kiss my arse, go fly a kite, go jump in a lake, etc,etc.

To tell someone you hope they rot in Hell is a religious thing, largely the Abrahamic religions. Which means the folks wishing this on Varner are not non theists or believers that don't have hell as part of their theology.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:07 PM

16,762 posts, read 15,816,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It is the pro-LBGTQ community that is driving the backlash and hate. You know, the group that once railed against intolerance. Christians like myself feel compassion and forgiveness for Jeff especially since this incident drove him to the brink of taking his own life. Just awful.
Why would the pro-LGBT community drive backlash and hatred toward a gay man?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Why would the pro-LGBT community drive backlash and hatred toward a gay man?
Im guessing that in the logic of the conservative world, gay is one or two levels less icky and gross than the transgendered.

I have no issues with gay people and have gay friends , but I admit the transgendered are on a different level for me also. I suspect they are for many gays as well, but it wouldnt be PC for them to admit it.

Or a simpler answer may be that JB didnt know Varner was gay.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM

16,762 posts, read 15,816,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Im guessing that in the logic of the conservative world, gay is one or two levels less icky and gross than the transgendered.

I have no issues with gay people and have gay friends , but I admit the transgendered are on a different level for me also. I suspect they are for many gays as well, but it wouldnt be PC for them to admit it.

Or a simpler answer may be that JB didnt know Varner was gay.
Jeff Varner, Zeke, and Tai were talking on one episode of Survivor about being the 3 gay guys. I thought that was well known.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Jeff Varner, Zeke, and Tai were talking on one episode of Survivor about being the 3 gay guys. I thought that was well known.
I imagine there are some this slipped by. I knew that all 3 were gay, but I dont remember the scene where they said this. I know it all came out about all 3 at the meeting when Varner dropped the bomb.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:50 PM

16,113 posts, read 6,438,656 times
Satan: Welcome Mr Varner. I have some good news and some bad new for you. Which would you like first?

Varner: Give me the bad news first.

Satan: For the sin of suicide you are going to burn for all of eternity with no possibility of it ever ending.

Varner: Oh please tell me the good news is something like there is a loop hole after a million years or something.

Satan: Oh no, nothing like that. The good news is you get to keep your job. It's not like we are heartless atheists or something.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:54 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,624,856 times
where'd ya go Jeffbase40?

Old 04-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

If past history is any indication, he is being persecuted by disagreement here, so maybe he is tired of being persecuted.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,776,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Waiting on someone to actually address my valid point. You didn't. Typical. Here is another article that touches on the same subject:

Quote:

t is a symptom of what’s gone wrong that the Tasmanian anti-discrimination commission deemed the Catholic Church had a case to answer for its booklet opposing same sex marriage on the grounds that it could offend, humiliate or insult same sex couples and their children. To be offended and insulted is distressing, but nobody should be legally protected against it in a democracy, even on a highly emotional issue such as this.

The insistence on personalising disagreement is pervasive.

Actor and writer Stephen Fry has apologised for a few sentences he uttered at the end of a long and fascinating interview in the United States. The irony of this little incident gives it a poignancy beyond the familiar pattern: someone says something that deliberately or accidentally offends people, who declare their hurt and anger, demanding the person is sacked from their job or at least be publicly shamed. The targeted one, sometimes famous, sometimes not, says “up yours”, or more likely grovels an apology, perhaps deleting their social media account to crawl into a hole for a time.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...against-it-too

The sad reality is this new culture has become the very boogeyman that they claimed religion was imposing on society. Free speech is ok as long as it's free speech YOU approve of. But say something that crosses that red line like Varner did, and a billion apologies won't matter. You're done. Let's get real here. This man actually considered taking his own life because of the intolerance. That's outrageous and if Jeff had done that, everyone who felt the need to judge and attack him would have blood on their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality