Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
milli-fundy mentalist-think strikes again.
on our heads.

I think they try and knock the sense out of us.
I think you are right!

Old 07-15-2017, 07:54 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Just a quick question, here. Have you ever had a scripture just "pop" into your head? And if you have, did it ever dawn on you, maybe it wasn't YOUR mind doing the popping, particularly since it says that our mind is EMNITY towards G-d (= His enemy)? This is why He said "take no thought in that day what you will speak....". Why? Because if you've taken in the Word and it has become LIFE in you (ie. part of you, as it's SUPPOSED to be), then it's HIS to "pull out" of you at any given moment. Same way basically, that it happens when it's "popped" into you, for yourself. It's like THAT.

And while we're on the subject, did ya happen to notice there that vs 7 can actually be broken down into 3 parts, which, not coincidentally, bear witness to the 3 compartments of the Tabernacle?. Peace
I know I had all sorts of apposite sayings, and relevant to any discussion or argument or thought, and they can be from the Bible, from LoR or Startrek or even from 'Peanuts'. The point is that this association is a very rhetorically useful one, but not to be seen as anything more than the mind doing its' work. To suggests a divine origin (which is - I bet your bank account - what you were getting at) is bias confirmation, and the stuff of religious bamboozlement, and one that I don't doubt Gaylen saw lumbering towards him with no a hope of catching him.

So I'm just explaining the ploy to everyone else..."When you see how the trick is done, you can never be fooled by it again" (Arqs' atheist Aphorisms.
available under brown cover from Atheist world control organization, propaganda dept..Fornication street, Kirriemuir, UK)

Old 07-15-2017, 11:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,040,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I know I had all sorts of apposite sayings, and relevant to any discussion or argument or thought, and they can be from the Bible, from LoR or Startrek or even from 'Peanuts'. The point is that this association is a very rhetorically useful one, but not to be seen as anything more than the mind doing its' work. To suggests a divine origin (which is - I bet your bank account - what you were getting at) is bias confirmation, and the stuff of religious bamboozlement, and one that I don't doubt Gaylen saw lumbering towards him with no a hope of catching him.

So I'm just explaining the ploy to everyone else..."When you see how the trick is done, you can never be fooled by it again" (Arqs' atheist Aphorisms.
available under brown cover from Atheist world control organization, propaganda dept..Fornication street, Kirriemuir, UK)

The problem is friend, and I hope I can call you friend, is that it's not a ploy, it was a statement of fact based on experience (which I explained in detail).....MINE. Your outright rejection of my statement about my EXPERIENCE, is a bias in and of itself because of your preconceived ideas about the carnal mind and what you perceive it's abilities are, INDEPENDENT of the Spirit's influence (which makes all the difference in the world btw), I hope you realize that.

When it comes to EXPERIENCES, one has the option of either taking their word for it, or not, but that neither confirms NOR DISPROVES, the fact of the experience, it's a 50/50 proposition possibility that I'm telling the truth. When you add in the experiences of the disciples and the men of the OT having the same experience (not to mention many in the Christian world), I'd say the odds go up exponentially.

I do fully remember back when I was an agnostic, that no argument in the world had any effect on my own ideas and I'm trying to remain cognizant of that fact when talking to you. ONLY an experience (followed rapid fire by myriads of others) could change my perceptions about the true nature of all things, and likely only an experience will ever change yours. DO try to stay open to the possibility that it COULD happen. Peace

Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Ok I'll stay open to the possibility that it might happen to me if You stay open to the possibility that you might be misinterpreting what you experienced. Deal?

Old 07-15-2017, 12:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Experience, in cases like this, is sort of limited to the resources actually used. For instance, how much time do you spend on Lord of the Rings?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Experience, in cases like this, is sort of limited to the resources actually used. For instance, how much time do you spend on Lord of the Rings?
Not a lot, but I don't see the relevance. Let me give a possible analogy. I spent years on the UFO claims, but there was nothing really substantial.

But there was a couple of seconds of actually Seeing something. I had no idea what, but if I'd ever seen a UFO, that was it. Well, a month or so later, I found out I'd seen the iridium satellite. On all reason.

So a lot of study, comparable with what I might spend on LoR. At least I know that subject, somewhat.

The actual Experience was mere seconds, but of more significance, if true, than all the hours of study.
Then some further diggging because I didn't just Believe and refuse to do anything but confirmation bias. And then the realization that I had misinterpreted what I had seen.

Relate the analogy back to the various "Experiences" put forward as evidence for God, and you have a full answer from me.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It's easy. I believe what the Creator of it had to say about it. Peace
As Gaylen has so eloquently tried to explain to you, you believe what you THINK and INTERPRET the Creator had to say about it as recorded by flawed and fallible human beings who lacked significant knowledge of just about everything (i.e., ignorant).

Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Not a lot, but I don't see the relevance....
Ummm. As I recall, the convewrsation was about having a particult scripture pop into one's head, as opposed to something from Tao Te Ching or the Upanishads or even Lord of the Rings.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As Gaylen has so eloquently tried to explain to you, you believe what you THINK and INTERPRET the Creator had to say about it as recorded by flawed and fallible human beings who lacked significant knowledge of just about everything (i.e., ignorant).

And as I have TRIED to eloquently explain to you, THE SPIRIT is the interpreter of what He wrote. Got Spirit? Got interpretation. Peace

Old 07-15-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Ok I'll stay open to the possibility that it might happen to me if You stay open to the possibility that you might be misinterpreting what you experienced. Deal?

Here's the problem with why I CAN'T do that and I hope you make an attempt to understand where I'm coming from: it WAS Him, and it would be tantamount to me denying Him, and I simply can't do that. We're not talking about an intellectual argument here (although I fully realize to YOU, that's all it is), we're talking about a covenantal relationship wherein BOTH parties have responsibilities to uphold the "terms and conditions" OF that covenant. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality