Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:27 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Gotta love him for sticking to his story. I didn't even realize people still actually believed the earth was 6000 years old.

Alberta 'creationist' finds 60m-year-old fish fossils - BBC News

"No, it hasn't changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it's just a matter of how you interpret it," he told the paper.
"There's no dates stamped on these things."
But Dr Zelenitsky - while she might disagree about fossil dating - praised Mr Nernberg for his awareness of what the fossils were.
"Most people would have overlooked these - when these were uncovered, Edgar right away recognised them," she told the paper.
"An ordinary person might have just seen blobs in the rock."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Gotta love him for sticking to his story. I didn't even realize people still actually believed the earth was 6000 years old.
It's pretty shocking is it not?

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

This is simply inexcusable for our country. Just goes to show how uneducated and scientifically illiterate this nation is.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:14 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:

"No, it hasn't changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it's just a matter of how you interpret it," he told the paper.
But Dr Zelenitsky - while she might disagree about fossil dating - praised Mr Nernberg for his awareness of what the fossils were.
"Most people would have overlooked these - when these were uncovered, Edgar right away recognised them," she told the paper.
"An ordinary person might have just seen blobs in the rock."
Maybe this poor man just can't see past 3 Zero's in any number..which would make me worry about his handling finances and bill paying

Tho just like creative accounting..this scientist has some sort of "Creationist" view that incapacitates his rational scientific knowledge based on DATA/Fact/ or whatever else proves such findings... Ohh wait..Is this person just a "Paid" pundit giving his "Religious" view..or was he actually part of the team who did the work/peer reviewed findings??

Given his blatant ignorance of the findings..I opt for my Bolded highlighted initial thought!!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:09 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's pretty shocking is it not?

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

This is simply inexcusable for our country. Just goes to show how uneducated and scientifically illiterate this nation is.
There are many things I don't understand. I think I have a fair grasp on how gravity works but thinking that creation can be a fact is way beyond me. We're not talking about stupid people. I've come across dim people who accept evolution and reject creation.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:42 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
I'm no expert in the field of carbon dating. My question would be ...how do we know that the fish fossil is 60-million years old rather than, say, 59.5-million years old? I mean, if I'm going to believe science I want it to be pin-point accurate.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm no expert in the field of carbon dating. My question would be ...how do we know that the fish fossil is 60-million years old rather than, say, 59.5-million years old? I mean, if I'm going to believe science I want it to be pin-point accurate.
Not so much pin point accuracy. But not bad considering.
Have a read here;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating
http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/gtime/radiom.html

Sedimentary formations are dated differently but still radiometrically.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...-bone-age1.htm

Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That is a rather unsound view. It is like saying that you won't accept ancient history if it is just dated by years and doesn't give the exact day of the month.

At one time the dating of fossils by the rock -strata was very ballpark -estimate but radiometric dating has been a very valuable tool.

C14 dating of course isn't used because it requires organic material to work on. It is worth recalling that RATE, a group set up by Creationists to discredit radiometric dating, actually rather confirmed it. It is worth also recalling that this (notably fossil radiation decay markers in ancient volcanoes) confirms constant rates of radiometric decay, which was one of the principal excuses (objections to Uniformity) of Creationists for rejecting the evidence "How do you know it's constant?". Logically the question should have been "Why should you think it wasn't?" but there wasn't definite evidence. Now there is and we could pretty well say "Proof".

I read one article by a Creationist trying to fiddle in possible error in the Argon dating, but it wouldn't have made more than a few percentage difference even if it was right, and a critique argued that it wasn't.

So again, this is another creationist argument that has gone down the tube. It is worth repeating that Creationists have no valid evidence, only objections to "Evilooshun". It is the objections that are being disproved one by one.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:29 AM

261 posts, read 156,683 times
I can only think that YECs are intensely gullible.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:

...."
And if they had dates stamped on they would be fakes, planted by Satan. Any excuse to ignore the evidence will do.

I saw this one before. He runs a small Creation museum, I believe, and knows a fossil when he sees it, though his dating classifies them as either pre-flood or post flood. He was obliged to turn the fossils over to a proper museum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
I can only think that YECs are intensely gullible.
It's more than gullilbility. They don't even have to take their own arguments seriously. They just have to be arguments - any arguments - to push away any evidence that contradicts what they believe on Faith.

"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record." (section 4 of AiG statement of faith)

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-16-2016 at 06:04 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There are many things I don't understand. I think I have a fair grasp on how gravity works but thinking that creation can be a fact is way beyond me. We're not talking about stupid people. I've come across dim people who accept evolution and reject creation.
Ironically the evidence and understanding of gravity is weaker than for evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality