Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
that's all I'm asking -- why do we just assume that it is?

I personally believe that the earth is somewhere between 6000 - 15000 years old. Of course, I'm just a man...and education might be considered "bad" to you....but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't even be bothered if I found out it was 100,000 years old. But I don't believe it is millions of years old. There are plenty of dating methods that point to a much younger earth.
What dating methods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:50 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What dating methods?
Imaginary ones...

Old 04-16-2016, 12:37 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I personally believe that the earth is somewhere between 6000 - 15000 years old. Of course, I'm just a man...and education might be considered "bad" to you....but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't even be bothered if I found out it was 100,000 years old. But I don't believe it is millions of years old. There are plenty of dating methods that point to a much younger earth.
How in the blazes of your absurd Hell can you reach your age and NOT have achieved an education that eliminated such total ignorance.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:03 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
I found this as an explanation of the line of reasoning used.

https://answersingenesis.org/evidenc...f-young-earth/

Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I thought you were in Canada...
What made you think that?

Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There are many things I don't understand. I think I have a fair grasp on how gravity works but thinking that creation can be a fact is way beyond me. We're not talking about stupid people. I've come across dim people who accept evolution and reject creation.
Well I am going to bet a lot of the folks here in the US who believe in Creationism are not the brightest people we have over here. In fact I have never met a bright person who believed in Creationism...just look at the logic of the people in this forum...you can't be too bright and think some of the things they do.

There is one poster who claims to believe in Evolution and even goes as far as to say that the bible teaches it...when they talk about Evolutionary concepts...they have no idea what they are talking about and they are misrepresenting Evolution 100%.

Perhaps asking the not so bright folks how they understand Evolution would open more insight. That would be the first start...a person simply believing in Evolution without understanding at least some of it, is no different than a person blindly believing in religion.

Perhaps confirmation bias is also involved but no doubt scientific illiteracy is most certainly involved.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I found this as an explanation of the line of reasoning used.

https://answersingenesis.org/evidenc...f-young-earth/

I know that some of those arguments have been debunked.(Arq)

Claim CE110:
Because of tidal friction, the moon is receding, and the earth's rotation is slowing down, at rates too fast for the earth to be billions of years old.
Source:
Barnes, Thomas G. 1982. Young age for the moon and earth. Impact 110 (Aug.). http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=...on=view&ID=204
Response:

The moon is receding at about 3.8 cm per year. Since the moon is 3.85 × 1010 cm from the earth, this is already consistent, within an order of magnitude, with an earth-moon system billions of years old.

The magnitude of tidal friction depends on the arrangement of the continents. In the past, the continents were arranged such that tidal friction, and thus the rates of earth's slowing and the moon's recession, would have been less. The earth's rotation has slowed at a rate of two seconds every 100,000 years (Eicher 1976).

The rate of earth's rotation in the distant past can be measured. Corals produce skeletons with both daily layers and yearly patterns, so we can count the number of days per year when the coral grew. Measurements of fossil corals from 180 to 400 million years ago show year lengths from 381 to 410 days, with older corals showing more days per year (Eicher 1976; Scrutton 1970; Wells 1963; 1970). Similarly, days per year can also be computed from growth patterns in mollusks (Pannella 1976; Scrutton 1978) and stromatolites (Mohr 1975; Pannella et al. 1968) and from sediment deposition patterns (Williams 1997). All such measurements are consistent with a gradual rate of earth's slowing for the last 650 million years.

The clocks based on the slowing of earth's rotation described above provide an independent method of dating geological layers over most of the fossil record. The data is inconsistent with a young earth.

Claim CC371.1:
Soft, flexible tissue, complete blood vessels, and apparently intact cells were found when a Tyrannosaurus bone was broken open (Schweitzer et al. 2005). Such preservation indicates that the bones are only a few thousand years old, not millions of years.
Source:
Wieland, Carl. 2005. Still soft and stretchy. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs...ino_tissue.asp
Response:

The reports of the soft tissue, though remarkable, have been sensationalized further. The tissues were not soft and pliable originally. The tissues were rehydrated in the process of removing the surrounding mineral components of the bone (Schweitzer et al. 2005). Moreover, it is unknown whether the soft tissues are original tissues. Fossil flexible tissues and nucleated cells have been found before in which the original material was not preserved (Stokstad 2005).

The age of fossils is not determined by how well they are preserved, because preservation depends far more on factors other than age. The age of this particular bone was determined from the age of the rocks it was found in, namely, the Hell Creek Formation. This formation has been reliably dated by several independent methods (Dalrymple 2000).

DNA has never been recovered from any dinosaurs nor from anything as old as them, and researchers do not expect to find DNA from these soft tissues (though they can still hope). DNA has been recovered, however, from samples much more than 10,000 years old (Poinar et al. 1998), even more than 300,000 years old (Stokstad 2003; Willerslev et al. 2003). If dinosaur fossils were as young as creationists claim, finding soft tissues in them would not be news, and recovering DNA from them should be easy enough that it would have been done by now.

radiocarbon in diamonds
Summary

Radioisotope evidence presents significant problems for the young earth position. Baumgardner and the RATE team are to be commended for tackling the subject, but their “intrinsic radiocarbon” explanation does not work. The previously published radiocarbon AMS measurements can generally be explained by contamination, mostly due to sample chemistry. The RATE coal samples were probably contaminated in situ. RATE’s processed diamond samples were probably contaminated in the sample chemistry. The unprocessed diamond samples probably reflect instrument background. Coal and diamond samples have been measured by others down to instrument background levels, giving no evidence for intrinsic radiocarbon.

While some materials, e.g., coals and carbonates, often do show radiocarbon contamination that cannot be fully accounted for, resorting to“intrinsic radiocarbon” raises more questions than it answers. Why do only some materials show evidence of this intrinsic radiocarbon? Why does some anthracite and diamond exist with no measurable intrinsic radiocarbon? Why is its presence in carbonates so much more variable than in other materials, e.g., wood and graphite? Why is it often found in bone carbonates but not in collagen from the same bone? Since intrinsic radiocarbon would be mistakenly interpreted as AMS process background, why do multi-laboratory intercomparisons not show a much larger variation than is observed? Why does unprocessed diamond seem to have less intrinsic radiocarbon than processed diamond?

These and many other considerations are inconsistent with the RATE hypothesis of “intrinsic radiocarbon” but are consistent with contamination and background. “Intrinsic radiocarbon” is essentially a “radiocarbon-of-the-gaps” theory. As contamination becomes better understood, the opportunities to invoke “intrinsic radiocarbon” will diminish. Most radiocarbon measurements of old materials, including many of shells and coal, can be accounted for by known contamination mechanisms, leaving absolutely no evidence for intrinsic radiocarbon. The evidence falsifies the RATE claim that “all carbon in the earth contains a detectable and reproducible ... level of 14C” [1].

The argument is ongoing. I have already said that, with Polonium haloes, it is the only YE evidence they have that even looks worthwhile.

Claim CD701:
The earth's magnetic field is decaying at a rate indicating that the earth must be young.
Source:
Barnes, Thomas G. 1973. Origin and destiny of Earth's magnetic field, ICR Technical Monograph No. 4. El Cajon, CA: ICR.
Humphreys, D. Russell. 1986. Reversals of the Earth's magnetic field during the Genesis Flood. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Creationism, Creation Science Fellowship, 2: 113-126.
Humphreys, Russell. 1993. The Earth's magnetic field is young. Impact 242 (Aug.). http://www.icr.org/index.php?module=...on=view&ID=371
Response:

The earth's magnetic field is known to have varied in intensity (Gee et al. 2000) and reversed in polarity numerous times in the earth's history. This is entirely consistent with conventional models (Glatzmaier and Roberts 1995) and geophysical evidence (Song and Richards 1996) of the earth's interior. Measurements of magnetic field field direction and intensity show little or no change between 1590 and 1840; the variation in the magnetic field is relatively recent, probably indicating that the field's polarity is reversing again (Gubbins et al. 2006).

Empirical measurement of the earth's magnetic field does not show exponential decay. Yes, an exponential curve can be fit to historical measurements, but an exponential curve can be fit to any set of points. A straight line fits better.

T. G. Barnes (1973) relied on an obsolete model of the earth's interior. He viewed it as a spherical conductor (the earth's core) undergoing simple decay of an electrical current. However, the evidence supports Elsasser's dynamo model, in which the magnetic field is caused by a dynamo, with most of the "current" caused by convection. Barnes cited Cowling to try to discredit Elsasser, but Cowling's theorem is consistent with the dynamo earth.

Barnes measures only the dipole component of the total magnetic field, but the dipole field is not a measure of total field strength. The dipole field can vary as the total magnetic field strength remains unchanged.

Claim CD510:
Rocks do not fold without breaking. Therefore, folded rocks (found in many places) must have been soft when folded. This is easily explained by mountain building taking place soon after the sedimentary layers were deposited by a global flood.
Source:
Humphreys, D. Russell, 1999. Evidence for a young world. http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4005.asp or http://www.rae.org/yworld.html
Response:

Rocks do fold without breaking when bent very slowly under pressure. Laboratory experiments demonstrate as much (e.g., Friedman et al. 1980). Increased temperature can also increase the flow rate.

Some rocks ("weak" ones) flow more easily than others ("competent" ones). Layers of different rocks will sometimes have broken rocks in some layers and not others.

Deformation is not limited to sedimentary layers. There are deformed quartzite pebbles near Death Valley.

Claim CB620:
A reasonable assumption of population growth rate (0.5 percent) fits with a population that began with two people about 4000 years ago, not with a human history of millions of years.
Source:
Morris, Henry M. 1985. Scientific Creationism. Green Forest, AR: Master Books, pp. 167-169.
Response:

This claim assumes that the population growth rate was always constant, which is a false assumption. Wars and plagues would have caused populations to drop from time to time. In particular, population sizes before agriculture would have been severely limited and would have had an average population growth of zero for any number of years.

There is no particular reason to choose a population growth rate of 0.5 percent for the calculation. The population growth from 1000 to 1800 has been closer to 0.1227 percent per year (Encyclopaedia Britannica 1984). At that rate, the population would have grown to its present size from the eight Flood survivors in 16,660 years.

The population growth rate proposed by the claim would imply unreasonable populations early in history. We will be more generous in our calculations and start with eight people in 2350 B.C.E. (a traditional date for the Flood). Then, assuming a growth rate of 0.5 percent per year, the population after N years is given by

P(N) = 8 × (1.005)N

The Pyramids of Giza were constructed before 2490 B.C.E., even before the proposed Flood date. Even if we assume they were built 100 years after the flood, then the world population for their construction was 13 people. In 1446 B.C.E., when Moses was said to be leading 600,000 men (plus women and children) on the Exodus, this model of population growth gives 726 people in the world. In 481 B.C.E., Xerxes gathered an army of 2,641,000 (according to Herodotus) when the world population, according to the model, was 89,425. Even allowing for exaggerated numbers, the population model makes no sense.

With the possible exception of the diamonds, there is nothing in these claims.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-16-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 07:19 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
That is a rather unsound view. It is like saying that you won't accept ancient history if it is just dated by years and doesn't give the exact day of the month.
I was just having a tongue-in-cheek 'dig'. However, if we're to have confidence in science it might be better for science to be more precise before it makes the claim that something is a fact. A .5 discrepancy (500,000 years) may as well be a 10-million year discrepency as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
At one time the dating of fossils by the rock -strata was very ballpark -estimate but radiometric dating has been a very valuable tool.

C14 dating of course isn't used because it requires organic material to work on. It is worth recalling that RATE, a group set up by Creationists to discredit radiometric dating, actually rather confirmed it. It is worth also recalling that this (notably fossil radiation decay markers in ancient volcanoes) confirms constant rates of radiometric decay, which was one of the principal excuses (objections to Uniformity) of Creationists for rejecting the evidence "How do you know it's constant?". Logically the question should have been "Why should you think it wasn't?" but there wasn't definite evidence. Now there is and we could pretty well say "Proof".

I read one article by a Creationist trying to fiddle in possible error in the Argon dating, but it wouldn't have made more than a few percentage difference even if it was right, and a critique argued that it wasn't.

So again, this is another creationist argument that has gone down the tube. It is worth repeating that Creationists have no valid evidence, only objections to "Evilooshun". It is the objections that are being disproved one by one.
I'm not necessarily supporting Creationism. I'm just honest enough to say that I don't know how it all happened. So, we may as well forget the guesswork and just accept that it did happen.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
I thought you were in Canada...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What made you think that?
Could be the accent in your posts ...they definitely sound Canadian to me . . .

Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Could be the accent in your posts ...they definitely sound Canadian to me . . .
No way, eh. Take right off.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality