Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,122,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It's pretty shocking is it not?

In U.S., 46% Hold Creationist View of Human Origins

This is simply inexcusable for our country. Just goes to show how uneducated and scientifically illiterate this nation is.
I thought you were in Canada...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 06:41 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,846,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Ironically the evidence and understanding of gravity is weaker than for evolution.
Correct. It may be true that we don't understand what works gravity (or 'Intelligent falling' as it is sometimes called). But we do understand what 'works' evolution. Even creationists know that. They just deny that over time it could amount to 'macro' changes. Then they have to lie and Go Ignorant in order to invent some reasons why not.

P.s I hope I will be forgiven this but recently a post making a big deal about Dembski's mathematical fiddling appeared and this sort touches on his false claims about mathematical probabilities in the genome and I/D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPMwDRsfCW8

Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 AM

15,929 posts, read 6,387,711 times
Ok so I dug around and apparently this 6000 year old earth is actually a thing. I thought it was super fringy with nearly all creationist believing the Earth was billions of years old (Thanks M). It seems like a huge risk to these leaders to have something so demonstrably false as a cornerstone to their teachings. The younger generation uses the internet! They use it to exchange information! I see this 6000 year old earth as a good thing.

More Ken Ham:
Ken Ham’s Ark Encounter Theme Park Will Only Hire Young Earth Creationists

Old 04-16-2016, 08:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,244,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Gotta love him for sticking to his story. I didn't even realize people still actually believed the earth was 6000 years old.

Alberta 'creationist' finds 60m-year-old fish fossils - BBC News

"No, it hasn't changed my mind. We all have the same evidence, and it's just a matter of how you interpret it," he told the paper.
"There's no dates stamped on these things."
But Dr Zelenitsky - while she might disagree about fossil dating - praised Mr Nernberg for his awareness of what the fossils were.
"Most people would have overlooked these - when these were uncovered, Edgar right away recognised them," she told the paper.
"An ordinary person might have just seen blobs in the rock."
Why do you suppose they assume they're 60 million years old?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you suppose they assume they're 60 million years old?
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to science (You know...education bad, plus I'm female )

a simple search found this:
How do scientists know the age of fossils? | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Are you of the belief that the earth is 6000 years old?

Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to science (You know...education bad, plus I'm female )
Who told you women can't be smart? Or that education is bad?
Quote:

a simple search found this:
How do scientists know the age of fossils? | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

Are you of the belief that the earth is 6000 years old?
Again...I'm asking..why are YOU assuming it's 60 million years old? The article didn't mention how it was dated--but only that it was assumed that all the rock in that area was 60 million years old.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Who told you women can't be smart? Or that education is bad?

Again...I'm asking..why are YOU assuming it's 60 million years old? The article didn't mention how it was dated--but only that it was assumed that all the rock in that area was 60 million years old.
I assumed it (and I will change that assumption if new information comes in) because this person has been trained in methods of fossil dating. I could examine their data I suppose if I wanted to, but the age of that fossil isn't super important to me. I believe it is safe to say it is over 6000 years old.

See how you ask a question and I answer it. Why don't you answer questions? Do you have something to hide? How old do you think the earth is?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I assumed it (and I will change that assumption if new information comes in) because this person has been trained in methods of fossil dating. I could examine their data I suppose if I wanted to, but the age of that fossil isn't super important to me. I believe it is safe to say it is over 6000 years old.
that's all I'm asking -- why do we just assume that it is?
Quote:

See how you ask a question and I answer it. Why don't you answer questions? Do you have something to hide? How old do you think the earth is?
I personally believe that the earth is somewhere between 6000 - 15000 years old. Of course, I'm just a man...and education might be considered "bad" to you....but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't even be bothered if I found out it was 100,000 years old. But I don't believe it is millions of years old. There are plenty of dating methods that point to a much younger earth.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:40 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,275,017 times
Quote:

I personally believe that the earth is somewhere between 6000 - 15000 years old. Of course, I'm just a man...and education might be considered "bad" to you....but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't even be bothered if I found out it was 100,000 years old. But I don't believe it is millions of years old. There are plenty of dating methods that point to a much younger earth.
Thanks again, Viz!

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:

That's kind of where we seem to differ. When I first got here you were surprised that I didn't know if there even was such a thing as 'universal truth". even if there were I fully appreciate that I probably wouldn't be able to identify it with any certainty. I know I have biases, I know I make assumptions, I know my brain is subject to bad data. I know I am speculating. You don't seem to get that you are as well. You also said that the bible is from God but all other holy books are man made. Why is it that these writings of men can mislead so many but you can't be mislead as well? What is it that you have that so many others lack, me specifically? (because it's all about me )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality