Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Look up the definition of moot as an adjective and re-read my explanation.

What you did, is get trapped in your own net. As most errors provide. Peace

Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Following Christ is not about civil law. Followers of Christ have a different reason not to murder: the principle of love that fulfills the purpose of the Law.

Love is not a principle, it's a SPIRIT. You do get that, right? Peace

Old 07-28-2017, 12:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Pot. Kettle. And that is not what Mystic said and you know it. Peace
It is EXACTLY what Mystic was getting at and what you refuse to realize. Once again, folowing Christ is NOT about civil law, or any other kind of law, it is about the things "against which there IS no law." (gal 5:23)

BTW, kettle, you will NEVER see me advocating any religious forms over another. Faith is NOT a matter of forms, but of principle lived out in our lives.

Last edited by nateswift; 07-28-2017 at 12:52 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
It is EXACTLY what Mystic was getting at and what you refuse to realize. Once again, folowing Christ is NOT about civil law, or any other kind of law, it is about the things "against which there IS no law." (gal 5:23)

BTW, kettle, you will NEVER see me advocating any religious forms over another. Faith is NOT a matter of forms, but of principle lived out in our lives.

You know faith, being a gift from above, is also a Spirit, right? And what you quoted out of context there, is not saying, "there is no law" as if it no longer has any bearing or has been done away with, only that if you're NOT BREAKING IT, the law and it's judgment, doesn't have to be applied to you on that point. Peace

Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times
Quote:
Really? Have you had sickness of any kind? Do you still die? The law is not negated, not done away, it still rules over the flesh, Deut. 28 is still very much in effect. The ONLY way it has no power over you, is if it's fulfilled IN YOU, the same way it was Jesus .Jesus quoted the law to Satan, He didn't just say "Get lost", because as long as you are in this unredeemed body, you are subject to the law, and the one who administers the judgment of it if you break it (Satan), which is WHY you need grace.

Without grace, it would be immediate judgment with no reprieve, no space given to OVERCOME what the law is dealing with. Instead, "grace teachers" have twisted the purpose of it to remove one half of the equation, thereby leaving those in it's wake, worse off than they were before, now saved without true repentance over anything that comes after that. And so you see ALL KINDS of sin being tolerated and even extolled, much like the Corinthians Paul rebuked for not using the LAW to condemn the sin in the man who had his father's wife. Because if the law was not used by Paul, then WHY would he have cared if the man had his father's wife? Peace
This part is correct. What you are missing however is that Jesus fulfilled the law and told us exactly how to do the same, love God and each other.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
This part is correct. What you are missing however is that Jesus fulfilled the law and told us exactly how to do the same, love God and each other.

Tell me: how do you love Him when you hate His Word and refuse to keep any part of it but maybe 6 scriptures? Fulfilling is STILL not destroying it, Jesus told you it wasn't. And every word I said above, is correct, not just the part you selected. Without the law, you've no need for grace. Peace

Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Tell me: how do you love Him...
By loving others. If you do not, then according to your bible, you can't possibly love God, but if you DO love others, then you have been begotten of God, and know God.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Tell me: how do you love Him when you hate His Word and refuse to keep any part of it but maybe 6 scriptures? Fulfilling is STILL not destroying it, Jesus told you it wasn't. And every word I said above, is correct, not just the part you selected. Without the law, you've no need for grace. Peace
You CONTINUE to conflate the Word and the Bible. They are NOT an identity no matter how hard you believe it or how much justification of conflicts you have to perform to make it seem so in your mind.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
From reading the comments to this, I can kinda infer that alot of people hate the church, but not Christianity.

Here's my take. I'm a syncretic Christian (I call my faith Aiken, and wrote a book about it, which nobody's heard of). The basic gist of by faith journey is that everyone is going to come up with their own beliefs so officially categorizing yourself and believing that have to ascribe to a specific belief set. Yes, there are churches that are stick in the mud, but honestly it has been a long while since anyone was burned at the stake for believing the wrong thing, and aside from the need to protect against Muslim invasion (yeah, it happened) and false converts, they didn't need to do most of it the first time. You can go into most churches in America and believe in reincarnation or whatever, so long as you keep it largely to yourself.

I personally am spiritual first, then religious. I believe God is everywhere (I have a strong Shinto belief set), and I also believe in what is essentially an all-pervasive symbolism. As in, I have found a fair number of commercials tell me something immediately significant, kinda like "be sure to shave your pet's hair at PetCo" and suddenly I realize I'm kinda shaggy like a dog.

To be honest, the only reason one needs to visit a temple or church is: (1) to have a place to center, to focus one's faith into something coherent and (2) to interact with other people.
So really aside from that, if you honestly don't like other people and their judgement, there are plenty of outdoor shrines or forests or mountains, which kinda fulfill #1.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You CONTINUE to conflate the Word and the Bible. They are NOT an identity no matter how hard you believe it or how much justification of conflicts you have to perform to make it seem so in your mind.

And you continue to ignore ANY point made to you, in favor of keeping that mantra droning on in your head, and hoping others will pick it up too. Your replies never deviate, no matter what point is made to you to the contrary. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality