Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2017, 08:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
This is just game playing in that case. It's not an actual belief system. It's fun and games. Like cosplay. It's not really relevant.
Next you'll be saying there's no Flying Spaghetti Monster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am skeptical. The name Satan has such egregious denotations and connotations that I question the motives or goals of any who employ it as their standard bearer. Just saying.
They should use the Flying Spaghetti Monster, right?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Christians tend to give Satan more power he ever had in the bible I find that amusing. Even more so calling older religions new age. When Christianity itself is new age.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:33 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Christians tend to give Satan more power he ever had in the bible I find that amusing. Even more so calling older religions new age. When Christianity itself is new age.

There is nothing in New Age beliefs that is new, that's for sure; the sins involved in their beliefs are as old as the garden itself. Whereas, what's new in the belief of Christ our savior, is that we can be forgiven for them, and learn of Him and His ways. It's a choice. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I explained that earlier. Plus humanism does not have a philosophy like Satanism does

Satan means opposite and one to question and LaVeyan satanism is these things toward anything that goes against human nature which is what religions do

Or in the case of TST It is the position of The Satanic Temple that religion can, and should, be divorced from superstition. As such, we do not promote a belief in a personal Satan. To embrace the name Satan is to embrace rational inquiry removed from supernaturalism and archaic tradition-based superstitions. The Satanist should actively work to hone critical thinking and exercise reasonable agnosticism in all things. Our beliefs must be malleable to the best current scientific understandings of the material world — never the reverse. Ours is the literary Satan best exemplified by Milton and the Romantic Satanists, from Blake to Shelley, to Anatole France.
I was at forst inclined to agree, but now I differ.

Philosophy applies to everything really. There is a philosophy of science. There is a philosophy of Law, ethics and politics. It may not accord with logically correct philosophy, but then not all philosophy does.

Humanism also has a philosophy as much as satanism (as you describe) does. But that doesn't make it a religion, and it of course isn't one. So is it just the religious trappings? Yes, perhaps that 's it. As they say, if it walks like a duck...,iity, because Buddhism, and Scientology, not to overlook the claims of Jain, Raelians and Confucianism have the trappings of religion and say they are a religion. U/U has the trappings and say they are not.

So the difference is what I define as a religion

A belief in an existing supernatural (1) entity which can be propitiated or at least manipulated in order to achieve benefits, in this life and often a supposed after -life.

This covers Buddhism to Scientology, but not Humanism, nor atheism and not oddly, Jains. So Satanism might believe in a supernatural entity or it might go to the materialist end of Pantheism, which is almost like U/U in having the posture of religious belief, but without any need for it.

But there I go, trying to identify pigeon -holes and at the same time sayingn there really aren't any walls.

Really I'm not so much trying to classify satanism, but understand it. I suppose I ought to drop on on the Pagan forum.

(1) and to address the Usual Nit-picks, what is believed in but not provably known in nature is 'The supernatural'

Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Oh, good for you, you found a compadre. Do you two have meetings, secret handshakes, wear funny hats, get plastered at conventions, or.....do you just get naked and paint yourselves up with bulleyes, stick feathers in your ears, dance around the woods howling at full moons and praying to the god of beer not to let you run out of pretzels? Hey, everyone has to have a hobby, I guess.

Darn it, where DID I put those arrows? Peace
Was that you, standing on the edge of the firelight, laughing your head off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
There is nothing in New Age beliefs that is new, that's for sure; the sins involved in their beliefs are as old as the garden itself. Whereas, what's new in the belief of Christ our savior, is that we can be forgiven for them, and learn of Him and His ways. It's a choice. Peace
I should say that you can never understand New Age thinking, let alone evaluate it correctly, because you are one of those Christians who rearrange all incoming info in their heads to fit their beliefs, so are are - and I say this with sympathy (not that you want it)- incapable of coming to any correct conclusions.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:55 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Was that you, standing on the edge of the firelight, laughing your head off?

I should say that you can never understand New Age thinking, let alone evaluate it correctly, because you are one of those Christians who rearrange all incoming info in their heads to fit their beliefs, so are are - and I say this with sympathy (not that you want it)- incapable of coming to any correct conclusions.
Guilty as charged. Was that you in the deer skin cap (and red paint and nothing else)?

My friend, I understand it so well, because I read probably every book every written pertaining to ANY aspect of it, in the 15 years BEFORE I came to the knowledge of Christ as my personal savior upon meeting Him and having a transforming night into day experience with His Spirit. You might say I studied it like it was my job.

So please don't tell me what I don't know about it that makes it impossible for me to come to correct conclusions. I was BORN to do this. But I sincerely do appreciate your sympathy extended in my direction, and I can assure you I have nothing but respect and warm regards towards you as well. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I was at forst inclined to agree, but now I differ.

Philosophy applies to everything really. There is a philosophy of science. There is a philosophy of Law, ethics and politics. It may not accord with logically correct philosophy, but then not all philosophy does.

Humanism also has a philosophy as much as satanism (as you describe) does. But that doesn't make it a religion, and it of course isn't one. So is it just the religious trappings? Yes, perhaps that 's it. As they say, if it walks like a duck...,iity, because Buddhism, and Scientology, not to overlook the claims of Jain, Raelians and Confucianism have the trappings of religion and say they are a religion. U/U has the trappings and say they are not.

So the difference is what I define as a religion

A belief in an existing supernatural (1) entity which can be propitiated or at least manipulated in order to achieve benefits, in this life and often a supposed after -life.

This covers Buddhism to Scientology, but not Humanism, nor atheism and not oddly, Jains. So Satanism might believe in a supernatural entity or it might go to the materialist end of Pantheism, which is almost like U/U in having the posture of religious belief, but without any need for it.

But there I go, trying to identify pigeon -holes and at the same time sayingn there really aren't any walls.

Really I'm not so much trying to classify satanism, but understand it. I suppose I ought to drop on on the Pagan forum.

(1) and to address the Usual Nit-picks, what is believed in but not provably known in nature is 'The supernatural'
Most Satanists see it as a life philosophy only and not a religion. But some do see it as an atheistic religion as it does include symbolism and religious trappings and in the case of the LaVeyan even rituals.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Most Satanists see it as a life philosophy only and not a religion. But some do see it as an atheistic religion as it does include symbolism and religious trappings and in the case of the LaVeyan even rituals.
You are still just talking about your type of Satanist and not the other type? Meet Daryl and my other brother Daryl.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You are still just talking about your type of Satanist and not the other type? Meet Daryl and my other brother Daryl.
rofl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality