Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 PM

678 posts, read 429,193 times

Advertisements

I was thinking today how I'm not drawn to people of certain faiths or atheists, but it's their values where I find the connection. People of the same religion can have extremely different values. So what ones are you drawn to?

Probably the most common values I find in my friends are:

1. Gratitude (often leads to happiness)

2. Humility (being open-minded, not having an over-inflated sense of self)

3. Intelligence (I enjoy growing / learning from others)

4. Kindness (love, compassion, desire to try to help end suffering)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I was thinking today how I'm not drawn to people of certain faiths or atheists, but it's their values where I find the connection. People of the same religion can have extremely different values. So what ones are you drawn to?

Those are all very good. I was at a fundraiser recently at a school and a group of children summed values I agree with the word UNITED.

U - be Unique
N - have No excuses
I - Inspire others (I would add, allow yourself to be inspired.)
T - be Teachable
E - Empathize
D - Do your best

Old 12-08-2017, 09:43 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
Quote:

These, and many other, values are pretty much not only common in almost all religious based moral recommendations, but they can also be found in the lives of many Atheists and agnostics.

Not sure why you feel that these traits can only originate from people of different faiths (and you don't care about their faith)

Religious faith is primarily based TWO things IMO.

1 - Believing in the existence of your creator and life after death which could be very good, based on your efforts in this life. (Read no 2 below).

2 - Trying your best to live a peaceful and morally continous life (as per guided by your faith, and as per common moral conciousness of the society)

Atheists choose to be exempted from no 1; however, they can, (and many do) follow no 2.
And many who follow and supposedly believe in no 1, don't actually do much for no 2.

Not sure what are you trying to say in OP?

Last edited by GoCardinals; 12-08-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 12-09-2017, 01:40 AM

3,640 posts, read 40,132 times
Quote:
I was thinking today how I'm not drawn to people of certain faiths or atheists, but it's their values where I find the connection.
Their values are imbedded in their understanding and view of how they should live their life on this earth. Depending on their understanding and their knowledge, these could vary greatly.

Quote:
People of the same religion can have extremely different values. So what ones are you drawn to?
They can have extremely different values due to the variation in understanding of their religion. I look for sense of humanity in people. I find it in abundance in many people of a civilized society (whether religious or not) and lacking in backward, uneducated, corrupt and uncivilized societies.

Quote:

This is only part of the values. The main one is doing something that leaves a beneficial and lasting effect on not only people present but also on generations to come. Today's progressive and civilized societies were built on this principle. This is foundation of humanity and I admire and value it so much.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
These, and many other, values are pretty much not only common in almost all religious based moral recommendations, but they can also be found in the lives of many Atheists and agnostics.

Not sure why you feel that these traits can only originate from people of different faiths (and you don't care about their faith)

1 - Believing in the existence of your creator and life after death which could be very good, based on your efforts in this life. (Read no 2 below).

2 - Trying your best to live a peaceful and morally continous life (as per guided by your faith, and as per common moral conciousness of the society)

Atheists choose to be exempted from no 1; however, they can, (and many do) follow no 2.
And many who follow and supposedly believe in no 1, don't actually do much for no 2.

I think you misinterpreted the (admittedly ambiguous) first sentence of the OP. He was trying to say that a person's religion or lack thereof is irrelevant; the values of an individual are what matter.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:56 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
It would still be impossible to please God with out faith , no matter how many morals people may have , as believing in God in faith goes beyond all the moral because gives trust in God and others some thing only the moralities of honor which many people in the world would lack

Old 12-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

I was mostly just interested in peoples top values. I wasn't saying it's a one size fits all, or one religion / non-religion is lacking certain values. I wasn't trying to make a profound statement or dig too deep. Some of the responses want me to find out more though why people feel certain ways and if I can grow myself from it.

Last edited by Jumbo10; 12-09-2017 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post

They can have extremely different values due to the variation in understanding of their religion. I look for sense of humanity in people. I find it in abundance in many people of a civilized society (whether religious or not) and lacking in backward, uneducated, corrupt and uncivilized societies.
Do you feel grateful because of it, or do you have angst for those less fortunate? If one can feel grateful from their situation, I definitely think it helps generate happiness.

And are you a proponent for more education, less corruption and more civility in our own society?

Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 AM

3,640 posts, read 40,132 times
Quote:
Do you feel grateful because of it, or do you have angst for those less fortunate?
I am grateful for people who worked hard not only for their own needs but for the benefits and needs of generations to come after them.

I wish there was a way to teach the less fortunate ones in the world how to at least work for themselves and earn honest living. Providing work for them is better than giving them free money.

Quote:
If one can feel grateful from their situation, I definitely think it helps generate happiness.
Making life easier for others is definitely worth working for. It is the purpose we humans are here for.

Quote:
And are you a proponent for more education, less corruption and more civility in our own society?
Absolutely! Education is a must. Corruption drives down values, peace and justice. A civilized society is for everyone and not just for a few.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I am grateful for people who worked hard not only for their own needs but for the benefits and needs of generations to come after them.

I wish there was a way to teach the less fortunate ones in the world how to at least work for themselves and earn honest living. Providing work for them is better than giving them free money.
Society will never be perfect, things are more complex than simply working hard benefits society. Intelligence and selfless are critical too. Just think about people who are blessed with all 3 like Bill Gate and Warren Buffet and how they're helping save lives and end suffering.

And people can take advantage on both ends and everywhere in between. I definitely think there's more greed on one end which is more immoral to me than laziness. Not saying there's a right or wrong answer, it just shows how people can value things differently depending on their situation and who they're influenced by.

Last edited by Jumbo10; 12-09-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality