Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 08:33 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,981,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeBV View Post
Read Exodus 21. All of it. It is explicit on the various classes of slaves and how to deal with them. Jesus glowing talks about slavery in his parable, and Paul told Onesimus to go back to his owner. Neither the OT or the NT condemn slavery, and your passage deals with slave traders and kidnappers, not slave owners. Your bible still codifies slave ownership, both those captured in war, and those who are slaves due to debt.
You can't spin out of that.
Did you ever read chapter 19 of Leviticus ? ______
Israel was never in the slave-trade business as the US South was.
There were No debtors prisons in ancient Israel so a person could be in slavery for up to 6 years to pay off his debts.
Six years or until the Jubilee Year. What are your thoughts about the Jubilee years ?
Since there were No jails, what are your thoughts about the Cities of Refuge.
How to deal with slaves according to Leviticus 25:39-40 was to treat him like hired help.
So, that would include the lives of war captives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 PM

105 posts, read 53,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Did you ever read chapter 19 of Leviticus ? ______
Israel was never in the slave-trade business as the US South was.
There were No debtors prisons in ancient Israel so a person could be in slavery for up to 6 years to pay off his debts.
Six years or until the Jubilee Year. What are your thoughts about the Jubilee years ?
Since there were No jails, what are your thoughts about the Cities of Refuge.
How to deal with slaves according to Leviticus 25:39-40 was to treat him like hired help.
So, that would include the lives of war captives.
There is nothing in Leviticus 19 about slaves, but I bet you cut the corner of your hair and beard. If you have a beard.

You are disregarding the ENTIRE chapter of Exodus 21. It clearly state on how slaves are to be dealt with, and as I stated before, the difference between those captured in war and those who are debt slaves. It even tells you how to scam a slave who is about to be set free if he married a wife, because the wife stays. If he stays, he's in for life.

Your lord teaching his subjects how to cheat, lie and scam a person out of their liberty? Not a very moral lord, that one.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
And you are wrong...as usual. Same as Vale.
I didn't "excuse" anything.
I was not being "contrary"...just stating how things really are in this world.
"Off their rocker" is nothing more than worthless ad Hom that has no substance or merit...that is typically used as an ignorant slam, implying some mental deficiency of others on no other basis than that they disagree with a view that is held. Very often a view that is steeped in bias and hate.
That I don't share the same biased, predudicial, and hateful views of Religion (and of those that hold a Religious outlook) that some on this board possess, does not make me mentally deficient.
MOF...I would argue that my position is superior to that of the biased haters.
Questioning something isn't hate. Pointing out the harms of something is not hate. When you pointed out the other types of abuses children suffer did you do that out of hate. The whole worldview of the fundamentalist mindset is that the whole world is out to get them. Have you bought into that as well?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:
There is nothing in Leviticus 19 about slaves, but I bet you cut the corner of your hair and beard. If you have a beard.

You are disregarding the ENTIRE chapter of Exodus 21. It clearly state on how slaves are to be dealt with, and as I stated before, the difference between those captured in war and those who are debt slaves. It even tells you how to scam a slave who is about to be set free if he married a wife, because the wife stays. If he stays, he's in for life.

Your lord teaching his subjects how to cheat, lie and scam a person out of their liberty? Not a very moral lord, that one.
And you are disregarding that if you are arguing that scripture should be assessed and critiqued literally...there are verses you must now accept that squares everything away.
Like this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-9&version=NIV
And this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-6&version=NIV
Since you are going by, and arguing the merit of, literal scripture...go by those.
See? That explains everything.
You just don't know, what you don't know...and need to understand that the Super Omnimax Deity is above you in all ways.
So, there ya go...ALL FIXED!!

Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Questioning something isn't hate. Pointing out the harms of something is not hate. When you pointed out the other types of abuses children suffer did you do that out of hate. The whole worldview of the fundamentalist mindset is that the whole world is out to get them. Have you bought into that as well?
They don't just question...they bash and mock. The hate drips off their posts.
I didn't go on sites for autos and tell them "The harm from automobiles is well documented"...and bash those who are into cars..and only note the pollution and people injured in accidents.
I was using that as an example of things I know they do not criticize the way they do Religion...that has harmed many more children.
That's just it...I don't feel the same way about those things that they feel toward Religions.
Some aspects of Religion, or anything, is inevitably negative...but to note nothing but the negative aspects of it...and mock and insult it in every way possible...that goes beyond questioning.

Not only have I not "bought into" the idea that the whole world is out to get Religion...I note how prolific and powerful it is.
I do know that some Religious take bigtime exception to their faith being mocked...especially insults of the Deity and Prophet Characters.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:31 PM

105 posts, read 53,126 times
Quote:
And you are disregarding that if you are arguing that scripture should be assessed and critiqued literally...there are verses you must now accept that squares everything away.
Like this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-9&version=NIV
And this:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-6&version=NIV
Since you are going by, and arguing the merit of, literal scripture...go by those.
See? That explains everything.
You just don't know, what you don't know...and need to understand that the Super Omnimax Deity is above you in all ways.
So, there ya go...ALL FIXED!!
Matthew 4:4 seems to take things literally, so he needs to be schooled in what his holy book actually says, all of it, and no the versions that he uses to try and explain away the unexplainable.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Matthew 4:4 seems to take things literally, so he needs to be schooled in what his holy book actually says, all of it, and no the versions that he uses to try and explain away the unexplainable.
You can't argue theological writings from a literal translation standpoint. If you do...there are always the verses (I noted a couple) that they can point to that covers any argument possible.

Just explain that it is metaphorical and allegorical, and in that way conveys ideas, moral lessons, and philosophical concepts~PERIOD~

The only reason to go on, and on, and on, and on...is to bash and mock due to bias (sometimes downright hatred) toward them for holding Religious beliefs.
Most are Religious. Religion is the most prolific and influential elective concepts known to humankind. That's just how it is.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,872,932 times
Quote:
You just insult and mock them & their faith (that you call "sick", "harmful", and "delusional"), what you know they consider to be "sacred" writings, and every other aspect of Religion (especially Christianity) there is.
....and why not? If someone kept telling me that the Earth is flat or that the 'face' we see when we look at the moon was a real man then I would mock and ridicule that person and his beliefs. Why should I not do the same to people that hold equally idiotic beliefs simply because those beliefs are 'religious'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I could say the same thing about atheists. They are blind to the truth.......
...and yet you CONSISTENTLY FAIL to show that what you believe IS actually 'truth'...whilst we atheists consistently provide verifiable evidence that your beliefs are not true.

Quote:
Mainstream Christianity does not teach that you should not seek medical treatment. Such a belief is no different than jumping off a cliff and praying that God will save you.
...and why wouldn't he. Didn't your man God tell you that if you asked for anything in his name you would receive it?

Old 06-08-2017, 12:47 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,302,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Valerie Tarico has done a wonderful job in this article of summing up the harms of believing in Bible based Christian nonsense. For all atheists who had to find this out the hard way, thank yourself for getting out of the death cult called Christianity and it's psychologically damaging effects. For those contemplating leaving this sick belief system, I ask that you respond intelligently to the points that she brings up in this article.

https://valerietarico.com/2014/10/31...-christianity/

A good book to read also is the following. "Christianity is not great, how faith fails"
https://www.amazon.com/Christianity-...3937390&sr=1-1
You are an atheist, congratulations, you are not alone however, I have a question for you and please
respond intelligently to the question.

Since you do not believe in God, Religion, Christianity, the Bible or anything surrounding it and those who do believe.
Why do you spend so much time in the *Religion and Spirituality* part of the forum?
How can you possibly know *or think you know* so much about something that you do not believe in?
Considering you do not believe any of it exists aren't you basically warning people about
*nothing/something that does not exist*(in your definition)? Why would I heed the warning from someone about something they believe does not exist. That is very close to believing that the sky did actually fall on chicken little's head...

Why not put your time, effort and energy into accepting the fact that others *are not you* and it is their free will choice to believe in what they believe in and amazingly enough they do not need your permission nor acceptance to do so.

This ^^^^ is the same free will choice you have to not believe without their permission nor acceptance.
Do you see how that two way street works?

Ever wonder where exactly that free will choice came from?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 AM

15,881 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
They don't just question...they bash and mock. The hate drips off their posts.
I didn't go on sites for autos and tell them "The harm from automobiles is well documented"...and bash those who are into cars..and only note the pollution and people injured in accidents.
I was using that as an example of things I know they do not criticize the way they do Religion...that has harmed many more children.
That's just it...I don't feel the same way about those things that they feel toward Religions.
Some aspects of Religion, or anything, is inevitably negative...but to note nothing but the negative aspects of it...and mock and insult it in every way possible...that goes beyond questioning.

Not only have I not "bought into" the idea that the whole world is out to get Religion...I note how prolific and powerful it is.
I do know that some Religious take bigtime exception to their faith being mocked...especially insults of the Deity and Prophet Characters.
The hate seems to drips off your posts too. Is your anger justified and their's not? At what point is anger justified? I don't agree with that style of debate so I don't participate in it. I have yet to see you call out a Viz or a Jeff for their hate speech. Why is that? I don't agree with that style of debate so I don't participate in it.

Ah, the Ford forum again. If Ford owners read in the manual that children should ride in a Ford vehicle strapped to the hood and non Ford owners went in that forum to warn them that was erroneous would that be out of hate of Fords? What if some of those kids grew up and came back to tell their story about the horrors of riding around strapped to the hood are they liars and haters. Maybe there is something wrong if people who have lived it feel it necessary to come forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality