Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
That also is not what I believe or said
No but you did say that he'll is the place we have to be held responsible for our deeds. Do you believe that if we are basically good that we will not go to hell regardless of what we believe or do not believe? Would we go to heaven regardless of our belief or lack thereof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
As with the terminator, I would think that once the red light goes out, so would our capacity to think.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
Do you consider taking responsibility for your actions as an adult "sadistic" ? Do you consider facing natural consequences for your choices as "sadistic" ? Do you consider being held accountable for the way you treat others as "sadistic" ?

I think it is part of being a responsible mature adult.

If someone robs a bank or commits assault and battery, they go to prison. Is that sadistic or natural consequences for their actions?
I think your comparing earthly justice with hell is perposterous. I'm amazed at how disconnected from reality many religious are when it comes to hell. The concept is purely sadistic and beyond evil. It says much about the rationale of a person who ever considers it viable and just. After taking my rose colored glasses off, I scrutinized this doctrine and found it not to be biblical. Yet, most Christians will just blindly accept it, believe it and condone it, very sad.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
If someone robs a bank or commits assault and battery, they go to prison. Is that sadistic or natural consequences for their actions?
That's not a "natural" consequence. That's punishment.

"Natural consequences" aren't something imposed by other people. They are simply the inevitable results of some action that has been taken. It is not inevitable that someone who commits a crime is going to prison.

I'm not sure what you think "hell" is, but if it's punishment imposed by God, that's not a natural consequence either.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I think your comparing earthly justice with hell is perposterous. I'm amazed at how disconnected from reality many religious are when it comes to hell. The concept is purely sadistic and beyond evil. It says much about the rationale of a person who ever considers it viable and just. After taking my rose colored glasses off, I scrutinized this doctrine and found it not to be biblical. Yet, most Christians will just blindly accept it, believe it and condone it, very sad.
You said it better than I could. It also seems to go directly against the claim that God and Jesus is about unconditional love. Dogs are about unconditional love and people are no way as loving as dogs. As I understand the concept God sends us down to Earth and gives us free will because he loves us but tells us how we must think or act or else he will torture us for eternity. And people who assume they are going to be in Heaven try to get us to be more like them by telling us we will be tortured if we are not. Or we will go to Hell if we are not of the correct flavour of a religion. And all of this is about love?

I know I have not been perfect in my live but anyone who would think that I , or anyone similar, would deserve an eternity in Hell is a saddistic person who also envisions their concept of a god as one who is saddistic as well. And for the religious, I am not judging God, I am judging your concept of your god. No capital g for God because I am not referring to any god in particular.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's not a "natural" consequence. That's punishment.

"Natural consequences" aren't something imposed by other people. They are simply the inevitable results of some action that has been taken. It is not inevitable that someone who commits a crime is going to prison.

I'm not sure what you think "hell" is, but if it's punishment imposed by God, that's not a natural consequence either.
part of natural consequences in our modern society is laws and what happens when people break laws. If you hit a co-worker, and they have you arrested for assault, that is a natural consequence of your actions. And yes, it is imposed by other people. It is imposed by the law enforcement and the judicial system in the city and state and country you live in.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
there is nothing preposterous about acting like a grown up

and who said it is eternal?
it is until we learn to not do it and we stop doing it.
If we keep engaging in disruptive behavior, we are going to keep experiencing the natural consequences of our actions.

once we stop a disruptive behavior, the natural consequences stop.

that is rational and reasonable.
there is nothing "preposterous" about taking responsibility for our actions. It is maturity, it is accountability, it is responsibility.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
As with the terminator, I would think that once the red light goes out, so would our capacity to think.
During the discussion on consciousness after death with Gaylenwoof, it rather looked as though, in view of the evidence that matter/enegy is just particles as near virtual as makes no difference, doing their thing, there is no plausible reason that I could see why a disimbodied mind shouldn't continue to work, exist and have a very prolonged if not immortal existence after decease of the bod. (The flame analogy did not work, but I'll leave that).

At the same time, in order to provide the matter -template for that mind, there had to be a material mind for it to form on. Thus you can have an immaterial mind after death but not before.

That is purely theoretical. I haven't seen any decent evidence to convince me, though I am watching NDE -research with interest. However the sheer nature of the visions fills me with doubts

Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You said it better than I could. It also seems to go directly against the claim that God and Jesus is about unconditional love. Dogs are about unconditional love and people are no way as loving as dogs. As I understand the concept God sends us down to Earth and gives us free will because he loves us but tells us how we must think or act or else he will torture us for eternity. And people who assume they are going to be in Heaven try to get us to be more like them by telling us we will be tortured if we are not. Or we will go to Hell if we are not of the correct flavour of a religion. And all of this is about love?

I know I have not been perfect in my live but anyone who would think that I , or anyone similar, would deserve an eternity in Hell is a saddistic person who also envisions their concept of a god as one who is saddistic as well. And for the religious, I am not judging God, I am judging your concept of your god. No capital g for God because I am not referring to any god in particular.
its not about eternity
but if you keep repeating a behavior you are going to keep experiencing the natural consequences of your actions

that is how we learn accountability and responsibility

what is so hard about natural consequences, cause and effect, being a responsible mature adult?
it is entirely and completely in your hands
easy peasy

Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
part of natural consequences in our modern society is laws and what happens when people break laws. If you hit a co-worker, and they have you arrested for assault, that is a natural consequence of your actions. And yes, it is imposed by other people. It is imposed by the law enforcement and the judicial system in the city and state and country you live in.
No it is a consequence imposed by thinking people, not by unthinking nature. There is a distinction between what bad happens to us by accident for no reason and with no lesson other than be careful, and build a solid house.

Rules imposed by society or by a deity have consequences with a reason behind them and, as pieroo rightly points out - that is not 'natural'.

I presume that the argument is somehow intended to get God off the hook by pretending he is no more to blame for bad that happens to us during life and in the posulated afterlife than if we get hit by a meteorite

That is clearly not going to work, and in fact works against God because he could prevent the meteorite hitting someone relatively undeserving, while a few I Could Name who could only be improved by a smoking hole through he head continue to thrive

The 'natural consequences' argument not only does not get God off the hook -it puts him squarely on it.

The only way out without the usual display of dishonest wriggling, theophanic houpla and rhetorical writhing is o bit to bullet and say "Well, God can do whatever he likes, and what are you going o do about it, eh"

Which is unanswerable, other than to say it stinks.

Dark matter had a couple of vids dealing with the argument that it wasn't murder, because the victim had a Choice. I'll try to find one.

ahhh.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJg...Ptq3gc&index=9

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-15-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality