Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

A good counseling session will make you feel better about your self or situation. Prayer does the same. But a psychological session, unlike prayer does not change your circumstance. Or cause things to happen in your life like prayer can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Well, counseling sure helped and changed MY life!
Prayer is sweet and aligns my being with the Love Frequency, shh, don't
need to say, God.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 PM

678 posts, read 429,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
How come everyone seems to know what you are talking about but me!?
You feel great...ok.
Seems 'religion' doesn't play a part....ok.
So what are we discussing? What's the topic exactly?
Well, it may be because I'm more confused than you

I think religion can play a great role (some of my closest friends are very religious people) but I also think certain parts of religion can create negative feelings of guilt, anxiety, anger in which case self-help or therapy may help alleviate those feelings.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:20 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It would be interesting to hear what our Christian shrink on the other board thinks, too. Peace
The "Christian shrink" referred to by Rbbi1 above is an 86 year old semi-retired psychiatrist, with over 45 years of expertience [mostly in mental health clinics in the two Carolinas.]
Over a year ago ago I had a serious wake-up call. Early in a spring morning I had a sudden passing out episode. I regained consciousness after a few minutes, but my wife had called 911 and I was hospitalized.
Early in the first night my grandson was in the room with me and told me later that I had suddenly lost consciousness, vomiting profusely with massive bleeding. He called a nurse, and a digestive surgeon was in the hospital and ordered a transfusion, along with having me taken to the operating room. He passed a tube down my throat and diagnosed a rapidly bleeding esophagal ulcer, which he tied off. My somewhat large family [2 children, 9 grand-children, and 5 great-grands] most of whom were called to the hospital. After the operation, the surgeon told them that if I had not been in the hospital I most likely would have died.
After I regained conscioness and was told about what had happened,I felt sure that God had more work for me to do.

I believe that God would be greatly pleased if everyone on the face of the earth would be saved. See 2 Peter 3:[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any of them should perish.
Jesus said in Luke 15:[[7] I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
See the words of the thief on the cross in Luke 23:[42] He said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. [43] And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
We read in Eph.2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:[9] Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Jesus also said in Luke 11:[13] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: HOW MUCH MORE WILL YOUR HEAVENLY FATHER GIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT TO THEM THAT ASK HIM?

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 08-05-2017 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 09:42 AM

678 posts, read 429,601 times
After I was involved in a very bad car accident (car flipped many times, totally smashed) where no one was injured except for scratches, I was shaken up that night, thinking why us and why were we so fortunate and "chosen". This was compounded with other accidents where I could have been seriously injured or died.
But after that passes, I think its just good fortune, maybe even some karma. I want to try to make the world a better place because of my love for people not for God. I have friends who have suffered greatly, may die quite young, and are more religious than myself. They could use some good fortune and blessings and I hope their God comes through. If not, I can hope that their afterlife will seems that much more amazing after their suffering on earth

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
I would say that in terms of jungian psychology :

Spiritual experiences are the domain of the feminine,anima,the dark unconscious world of mysteries and magic.Which seems to speak in a world of symbols,dreams,parables,metaphors,intuition,very right side,visions,the mysteries,the moon,it's circular,cyclic,yin.

it is the anti thesis of the world of light and logic,the sun,which is considered the animus and the masculine principle which sees everything through square reason,logic,evidence,clarity,conscious thought,left side,yang sort of principles.

Now I'll wait for all the logic loving people to go on about binaries or some other theory they are fixed on with their rational mind.Who reject the anima.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:16 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Folks, folks, slow down.
Religion is cheap psychotherapy. It is as simple as 2x2. Priest simply gives you consolation. Prayer gives you consolation. You give to church or, plan on giving, that gives you consolation. You think - Oh, I am such a righteous ...... now! After death, I am covered. No fear. Another consolation. You think - Oh, how nice. Someone else already paid for the wrongdoings I done. Very good, thank you, I'll donate. Maybe later though, got to go buy beer now.
And so on.
Church as institution, even tribe shamans, always lived off human neurosis and acted as counselors.
What is new about this and why even discuss this?
You can come and spit firy posts at me, telling me how ardent a believer are you and this and that... Sure. I know one thing. The more ardent believer are you, the more doubt is in you. Beaten into submission, lurking deep in subconscious - oh but it's there.... haunting non stop...

Old 08-05-2017, 07:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
^"Methinks the lady doth protest too much?"

Old 08-06-2017, 04:45 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Also, the book of James is almost pure psychology. If you understand that "death" was just a term for depression, the lowest point that a person can go to, and from which the only direction out of it is joy, it will not sound weird or religious at all.

The root definition of depression is "low spirits", so I don't think I am taking liberties in interpreting the entire Bible this way. "Spiritual death" was their ancient term for depression.
I agreer with Ozzy that the short book of James shows many profound truths: Chapte 1:[27] Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world
Chap. 2:[8] If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well. . .[15] If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, [16] And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? . . . [13] For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. . . [26] For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
Chap.3:[5] Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! [6] And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature. . .[17] But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
Chap. 4:[11] Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Folks, folks, slow down.
Religion is cheap psychotherapy. It is as simple as 2x2. Priest simply gives you consolation. Prayer gives you consolation. You give to church or, plan on giving, that gives you consolation. You think - Oh, I am such a righteous ...... now! After death, I am covered. No fear. Another consolation. You think - Oh, how nice. Someone else already paid for the wrongdoings I done. Very good, thank you, I'll donate. Maybe later though, got to go buy beer now.
And so on.
Church as institution, even tribe shamans, always lived off human neurosis and acted as counselors.
What is new about this and why even discuss this?
You can come and spit firy posts at me, telling me how ardent a believer are you and this and that... Sure. I know one thing. The more ardent believer are you, the more doubt is in you. Beaten into submission, lurking deep in subconscious - oh but it's there.... haunting non stop...
Haha, this was hilarious. Although I know many "ardent" believers that are simply content with saying they are ardent and acting ardent, but not actually thinking ardently about their believes. They find little doubt (at least publicly) because they suppress their thoughts about it. It becomes only a feelings fest for them, and there is no doubt in pure feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality