Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Well I guess I disagree with your choice of analogy.
We can either agree to disagree on the root of evil.
Or we could compromise and both agree I am right and you are wrong 😁
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Ok, hows about this analogy since there are so many picky people here...eyeroll...
saying there is a root evil does not deny other 'traits'...as in...a journey begins with the first step....there ARE other steps....alrIGhT?
Gosh , I have to be such a crowd pleaser sometimes! Lol!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Was thinking about this a bit and wondering what people think is the root of evil.
It's the same thing as the root of goodness: human nature.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:47 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I think "evil" has to be defined first. Since I reject theological quasi-definitions and it's a rather loaded word, and even using the word "root" means that a single common source or ancestor is assumed, I would prefer to frame the question as "is there a single common source of harms in the world."

And my answer would be no.

However, the old Biblical adage, "The love of money is the root of all evil" is not that far off the mark, just the same. Any time there are humans undermining other humans, "follow the money" is a good dictum and usually provides, directly or indirectly, the motive.

Note, the saying fingers the LOVE of money, not money itself. Implying, of course, caring more about acquiring money and assets than about the welfare of others. It's not hard to expand this to encompass the elevation of nearly any literal or conceptual thing -- status, or simply self for example -- above extending oneself for one's fellow man.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:02 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
'Root of evil', I believe was referring to humans, right Jumbo?

BUT, now that you bring animals into this...why don't we really follow the root of evil...the Creator. Do I hear gasps? Lol.

Then, we could discuss, 'Is evil all relative?" or 'What is evil'.
' Does evil really exist from the perspective of an Infinite Eternal Powerful Being or is it from our perspective when we are at the short end of something?'
I'm not taking a stand on these questions...just saying there could be spin off topics here.
Define evil, see?
I don't think Jumbo would mind.
Yes, I was referring to humans. Spin offs are great - I realize it was a bit of a loaded question

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think that there are many reasons or sources for people doing terrible or ax you asked, evil things. I think trying t9 narrow it to a single trait denies all the other traits. There have been atheist and believers of every faith that has done horrendous acts and if that cannot be acknowledged then this becomes a thread of "evil is done if you don't think just like me".

Power, money, hatred, prejudices, anger and, mental illnesses can all be reasons for what is called evil. Even having said that money and power alone do not cause one to commit evil. Bill and Melissa Gates have loads more money than myself and yet other than Windows 98 how much evil have the Gates done? Most leaders of states, provinces or countries are not evil. But the love of money or piwer, and the willingness to do anything for it underlines a deeper problem in that person's character. I certainly would not agree that not believing in a particular God is a source of evil, that idea in itself leads to terrible consequences.

I lack a belief in God, have done stuff, especially when I was young, that were not right but I will claim with as much certainty as possible that I am not an evil person. I would guess that most on this gorum, including those that claim that we are all sinners, would be able to say the exact same thing.
Excellent response. Thanks for your thoughts

Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Yes, I was referring to humans. Spin offs are great - I realize it was a bit of a loaded question

Excellent response. Thanks for your thoughts
By starting this post and several similar like it, you are obviously searching and exploring. Keep them coming

Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The root of evil which is sin to God is pride and unbelief in the living God , which is based in selfishness ....... Then there is the spiritual manipulation of evil overcoming the will of man , which come from demons spirit and fallen angels and power of darkness spirits which motivate man to do and be evil , and people who are spiritual undiscerning would never know these spirits are there , as they are very good at hiding in a familiar way to man , like men would say . ```this is how I think ``.... but many opinions are very evil

Old 08-30-2017, 04:51 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
The root of sin is likely doing things that break unity with God (primarily), and with people (secondarily). In other words, a personal selfishness that ignores and disregards God's will, and the will of humanity and the universe.

Spiritually, we're all tied together, so there are some similarities between what affects our position with God, the human race, and even the universe.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:16 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Was thinking about this a bit and wondering what people think is the root of evil.

People who commit evil acts – Hitler, suicide terrorists, preaching hate at funerals have a common quality. Those acts can only be committed by egomaniacs. Someone is so selfish and so caught up in their ideology that they will do anything to cause harm to others not like them.

So if ego leads to evil, what leads to serenity and/or God? Reducing one’s ego, becoming more selfless, accepting personal flaws and what is outside of one’s control, stepping outside of one’s ideological and social bubble. My experience is that it takes self-awareness and work but leads to inner peace and increased happiness.
I'm assuming Hilter was just insane. Sane people tend to question their own sanity every so often but egomaniacs seldom do. I will speak to the WB Baptist church. Here is Megan Phelps describing the church from the inside. They picket funerals to warn the living. The video is a couple hours long but she anwers it right in the first 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0E_UptLOJFE

ISIS is a cult too. These people believe they are doing God's will just like any other right fighter. They are being manipulated into seeing the world this way. Questioning is forbidden so no self awareness.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:41 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
I've shared this video a few times(I'm really into this right now). I think this neuroendocrinologist Robert Sapolsky has some really interesting things to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT42BkHBuTU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality