Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

I think Christianity is G--d's way of testing people to see if they will actually do deep research to find the truth rather than rely on opinion or feelings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 08:20 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think Christianity is G--d's way of testing people to see if they will actually do deep research to find the truth rather than rely on opinion or feelings...
Wouldn't he know beforehand? This is a test...this is only a test...in the event of an actual...

Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
That could be if you thought God tested people, tricked people, purposely thought in
these convoluted ways.
As if He Who is beyond imagination in His Infinite Brilliance, Glory, Genius...would
play silly games... this reminds me of the early thoughts of Men, more...and how he viewed and blamed God for most everything.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And I think you have the righteousness of the pharisees.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And I think you have the righteousness of the pharisees.
The Pharisees actually were pretty righteous as people go. They have a very bad rap over the centuries, in my view, mainly because of the deliberate Christian smear -campaign in the Gospels.

Jesus was (I would bet good money) a devout Pharisee himself.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Pharisees actually were pretty righteous as people go. They have a very bad rap over the centuries, in my view, mainly because of the deliberate Christian smear -campaign in the Gospels.

Jesus said that unless our righteousness surpasses their righteousness.....we can't get to Heaven. As good and devout as they were, they were not righteous enough to get to Heaven.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:24 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Not an original thought. Often an ex-Something is the biggest critic of the Somethings.

"Pharisee" has wrongly become a synonym for "hypocrite". They were devout Jews, studying the law constantly, and left as a heritage much of what Judaism is today. Jesus's point, IMO, was that you can study till the cows come home but if the law of compassion doesn't sit on top of the knowledge, it will be for nought.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Jesus was a Jew, but so much more. With Christianity, you get Judaism and the "next stage"; the continuing story. The other factor is the vengeful father (God) in Judaism, in contrast to the more understanding father (God), forgiving savior (Jesus), and helpful friend (the Holy Spirit) of the later way. Christianity features the more complete triune God, not just the father.

It's really a huge unfolding story. Judaism seems be about willingly stopping and not wanting to read on and move forward. I'm sure they see it differently though...

Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Both were attempts by a primitive, relatively ignorant people to make sense of the world and discern a reason for being.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Jesus said that unless our righteousness surpasses their righteousness.....we can't get to Heaven. As good and devout as they were, they were not righteous enough to get to Heaven.
As you may know I don't believe a single "Jesus said" is what he actually did say. As Pharisees, they would not expect to 'get to heaven', but would be raised from the dead at the last Days (which if you read the NT with that in mind, is what is often being talked about) and would not be 'thrown into the fire' (metaphorically) when the messiah came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not an original thought. Often an ex-Something is the biggest critic of the Somethings.

"Pharisee" has wrongly become a synonym for "hypocrite". They were devout Jews, studying the law constantly, and left as a heritage much of what Judaism is today. Jesus's point, IMO, was that you can study till the cows come home but if the law of compassion doesn't sit on top of the knowledge, it will be for nought.
O don't claim the idea as original. Just that a lot of people don't seem to have heard it. No matter whether those who first realized were "Ex" anything or not, it is still a valid observation.

Broadly I agree with you. compassion (an instinct rather than a law) is as important as learning, if not more. But learning has its' place too. The point really is that the Pharisees were not as bad as the gospels paint them, and Christianity -then or now- is in no position to denounce them as they actually were - other than they were not Christians.

Christianity has a few timber beams to remove before they start casting stones at the Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality