Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 04:30 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

To be fair, many atheists like Jesus Christ and his ideas on a philosophical basis, but just don't think he was divine. So they are not really "discrediting him" as much as they are calling into question the mythos and miracles around him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:47 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Im here because your one true god created me with a heart filled with cement.

You question that? Heres evidence;
Quote:
God changed me at 25 in church while I was visiting my girlfriend, now wife. I had no clue what happened - other than something was different in me. She explained to me what happened because it had happened to her a year earlier.
never heard from any gods. But this guy ^^^ gets a feeling and the girl. match made in heaven?

I'd think he was drugged but thats just my designed hardened heart.

Your god has been documented to hardening hearts in the past.
Quote:
Exodus 7:3-14
"But I will harden Pharaoh's heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt.

I'm created to make you a better christian. Yea right. You guys are habitual sinners and are pround of it.

Go ahead and ask god, you guys are on speaking terms, right. It will tell you the truth and nothing but the truth.

Right?

I'm also here to validate your children and grandchildren questioning beliefs. How am I doing?

/sarcasm?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 11-29-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-29-2017, 04:55 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
To be fair, many atheists like Jesus Christ and his ideas on a philosophical basis, but just don't think he was divine. So they are not really "discrediting him" as much as they are calling into question the mythos and miracles around him.
Well stated.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:58 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
My take is the atheists who visit the Religion and Spirituality forum aren't satisfied with mere non-belief, they don't want believers to believe either.
I don't care that believers believe what they believe. What I care about is when believers try to force their beliefs on others or think that this country should be governed by those beliefs instead of by its laws and the Constitution.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
That's not ignorance, it's reality. Atheism is the belief that there are no consequences in the afterlife, as you merely cease to exist.

This is awfully empowering because if you become very powerful on earth, you can do whatever you want without consequence.

You will realize this as automation eventually makes 99% of the human population unemployable. Then you will see the REAL atheists rise to power.

Their version of righteousness will differ significantly from yours. Christianity provides a foundation for righteousness. Humanity has proven time and time again, that it is clearly not righteous in accordance to the teachings of Christ.
I have to disagree that atheists feel they can act any way they want without consequence. I used to be a believer and can tell you I am much more compassionate today than I used to be. I used to think that all people needed to do was pray more, fast more, believe more to end their problems. I now realize that what those people needed was a friend, someone to listen to them and be with them in their pain, not offer patent answers.

On the other hand, I see people in society who claim to be Christians who act or have acted in the most despicable ways. And if anyone on here has seen the news in recent weeks, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It appears that some Christians are the ones who act like there are no consequences.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I have to disagree that atheists feel they can act any way they want without consequence. I used to be a believer and can tell you I am much more compassionate today than I used to be. I used to think that all people needed to do was pray more, fast more, believe more to end their problems. I now realize that what those people needed was a friend, someone to listen to them and be with them in their pain, not offer patent answers.

On the other hand, I see people in society who claim to be Christians who act or have acted in the most despicable ways. And if anyone on here has seen the news in recent weeks, they'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It appears that some Christians are the ones who act like there are no consequences.
Thank you for that post.

It is, indeed, unfortunate that politics has become entwined in the tentacles of religion. Lately I've been frequently reminded of the now dated saying -- "The moral majority is neither". So much of what is happening in politics, and yes, in my view on the right, is so dirty and is the very opposite of anything Jesus would have supported. Electing a member of one party is now more important than electing a person of at least reasonable character. I used to look at most religious people as being people of high character. Boy has that concept plummeted.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm not an atheist but I can play one on a message board.

Atheists do not feel the need to discredit Christ. They are however, appalled that supposedly-educated people in the 21st century can believe that Genesis is true and a Daddy-God is totally into slapping non-believers into an eternal fire.

Atheists fight ignorance and intolerance - both of which flourish in this section of CD.

And, as I scan the posts above mine (aside from Jerwade's) that ignorance is on full display.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
I get it. Atheism is great. It's the religion for people that can't control themselves.

I would love to be an atheist. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught.

I could have figured out a way to scam some unsuspecting people and make a lot of money in the process.

But yet...I am not an atheist.

I envy you though. Hopefully, you are not one of them fake atheists though. Because a real atheist will get ya and make ya put your hand in their pocket.
Such a childish opinion. Any other adults in that sandbox you play in?

Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I don't lurk here, but the topic caught my eye in the "around the forum" box.

I'm an atheist. I don't care what you believe. I won't try to make you stop believing or try to convert you to my beliefs. You can put your faith in Christ, Buddha, or the Spaghetti monster, it's all the same to me.

There are, however, trolls in every forum, who take the opposite viewpoint for sport, and are rude and insulting. The problem posters may not be atheists at all, just obnoxious idiots. Or maybe they're obnoxious atheists.

But atheists are not all the same, so please don't paint us all with the same brush.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
I get it. Atheism is great. It's the religion for people that can't control themselves.
Quite the opposite, don’t you think? It is the belief for people who can control themselves and not cause others harm without careful consideration.

Quote:
I would love to be an atheist. You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't get caught.
Can’t christians do whatever they want? All they have to do is profess belief in god and you go to heaven.

Quote:
I could have figured out a way to scam some unsuspecting people and make a lot of money in the process.

But yet...I am not an atheist.
Is your religion the only thing that keeps your malevolent instincts in check? Would you really scam people if not for the fear of divine punishment? Do you not have a sense of empathy or fairness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality