Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Each human being has potential to do good and do bad. An atheist could be doing good and living moral life but what's there to hold him back from doing bad as he has the potential to do so unless he also fears God as a consequence of his bad act?
What is with the forum lately, with these constant implications that atheists can’t be moral? I am simultaneously offended that theists would think this of people, while being appalled that apparently the threat of eternal punishment is the only thing keeping Christians from killing me in my sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:07 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,101,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
It would be easy to feel that way about my religion yet I simply look at as it's right for me, I enjoy it and I get something out of it. It's definitely not right for everyone.

Yet I know some Christians who feel their religion is morally superior. They don't seem to understand how a person of another faith, especially an atheist could have similar core values and live a moral life simply because doing right makes them feel good and they don't need the fear of God. Maybe it's because they tend to keep a limited social circle of like minded believers or don't have that much experience or knowledge about other religions?

I know I'll get the question "How do you define morals"? I don't think it's up to me to define it, but I would say love, being open minded to people of differences and actions over words are good values to start with.
Christianity is not my religion; however, the concept of "fear of God and doing good" is slightly different in my faith.

We try to do what's morally good in the "love of God", and we try to abstain form doing bad and doing wrong to others in the "fear of God". (and also, in an effort to abide by the law of the land).

So far as the feeling of superiority goes, it's also slightly different in my faith.

The feeling of proudness and superiority that leads to arrogance is actually a sin. Meekness and docility is what's recomended.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:04 AM

678 posts, read 430,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Christianity is not my religion; however, the concept of "fear of God and doing good" is slightly different in my faith.

We try to do what's morally good in the "love of God", and we try to abstain form doing bad and doing wrong to others in the "fear of God". (and also, in an effort to abide by the law of the land).

So far as the feeling of superiority goes, it's also slightly different in my faith.

The feeling of proudness and superiority that leads to arrogance is actually a sin. Meekness and docility is what's recomended.
I like the part about superiority being bad but do non-believers feel your religion oppresses people? If so, that seems like a contradiction to me.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:55 AM

3,640 posts, read 57,568 times
Quote:
I like the part about superiority being bad but do non-believers feel your religion oppresses people? If so, that seems like a contradiction to me.
It's not religion that oppresses people (religion is against oppression) but people oppress other people.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
To think a religion has to be right for everyone may come across sounding like a bigot. People are in different situations and there isn't a one size fits all in terms of religion.
It all depends on what is your definition of "religion". Right religion must be right for everyone or else it isn't right religion. Right religion will be right for people in different situations. Right religion will allow you to adopt to different situations.

Quote:
My religion is very diverse in terms of beliefs and very progressive. It doesn't appeal to my Christian friends and family members, especially the conservative ones. I'm fine with that and we sometimes talk religion but I don't want to directly offend or worse make them feel uneasy/anxious. I recognize and accept what my religion does for me personally, but feel no need to try to convert anyone.
Religion is not only about "belief", and certainly not about converting people, but mainly about one's actions in this life on earth.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
another one who doesn't get it.
Doesn't get what?

Old 12-05-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's because many (most?) fundies lack empathy and a fully-functioning conscience. They NEED restraints/spiritual shackles to keep them staggering along a more-or-less moral line.
I disagree. Every human being has potential to do both good and bad. All need restraints if they are to be control themselves from doing bad action. It isn't fool-proof shackle as people still do bad acts. It is merely a reminder and not a preventer (due to freewill).

Quote:
Most people do not. Their sense of right/wrong, good/bad, hurtful/helpful, is in-born -- whether they worship Allah/God/G-d/Cosmic Mushroom/Nothing At All.
Potential to do bad is also in-born.

Quote:
It's why one of the most puzzling things to a fundie is the concept of an ethical atheist. They just cannot wrap their simple little heads around it.
Wrong! This is denying that atheists don't do anything bad.

Quote:
Bless their hearts.

And rue their stunted spirits.

And hope their children manage a real education. At least.
We will get nowhere unless we recognize that all of us have potential to do good as well as do bad. Religion teaches me to do good and forbid evil. And this knowledge has been passed on to my children. They too are doing good and restraining themselves from doing evil action. And of course they are also teachers and lecturers in their respective educational institutions instead of living in caves where only religious belief matters..

Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
What is with the forum lately, with these constant implications that atheists can’t be moral? I am simultaneously offended that theists would think this of people, while being appalled that apparently the threat of eternal punishment is the only thing keeping Christians from killing me in my sleep.
I'd noticed a sudden resurgence of the "atheism means immorality" apologetic. I thought that one had been put to bed. Well, the debunk of that os well known, so it shouldn't take long, not only to knock it on the head, but show up religion as indulging in a smear campaign against atheism, yet again.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:07 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
It's not religion that oppresses people (religion is against oppression) but people oppress other people.
But religion (1) can - and often does -give them the weapon they need and the justification for using it. Religion can give people a feeling that they need to oppress others where otherwise (if they followed humanist morality, rather than some supposedly -dive command) they wouldn't. As Tzaph says, I couldn't disagree with you more.

(1) I wrote quote a post on "definition of religion" but cancelled it (you'd be surprised how much I cancel ) but defining religion is futile in a practical sense and really an academic exercise. in this context it comes under the heading of "Doing things for imaginary reasons". It's similar to superstition.
P.s that also answers yout last post. Yes, humans do what humans do. This is what humanism recognizes. And yes, religion can get people to do good things because their religiin says so. Doing good for the wrong reasons. They can also do bad for invalid reasons - because they think their religion says so.

You slipped up badly with the 'atherists do bad things' liner. Of course we don't claim to be plaster saints. We do claim to be no worse than any other humans, including the religious. The Morality argument against atheism utterly fails.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-05-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
It would be easy to feel that way about my religion yet I simply look at as it's right for me, I enjoy it and I get something out of it. It's definitely not right for everyone.
Yes. It can. It shouldn't, but it can.
Quote:
Yet I know some Christians who feel their religion is morally superior. They don't seem to understand how a person of another faith, especially an atheist could have similar core values and live a moral life simply because doing right makes them feel good and they don't need the fear of God. Maybe it's because they tend to keep a limited social circle of like minded believers or don't have that much experience or knowledge about other religions?
I think most of us agree that murder, rape, stealing, etc, are wrong. But I also have co-workers that do things I don't do, and that I believe God doesn't want me to do. It doesn't make me a better person, but we do adhere to different standards of morality.
Quote:
I know I'll get the question "How do you define morals"? I don't think it's up to me to define it, but I would say love, being open minded to people of differences and actions over words are good values to start with.
Those are great values to start with. Ultimately, true morality starts with what God has stated is moral and immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality