Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 PM

11,061 posts, read 6,011,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
As usual...you don't address the point that was made. Try dealing with that.
What you responded to by 303 was basically an offshoot of "The Problem of Evil/Suffering".
I have seen it many times on this board. Others will pose "The Problem" and put up pictures of emaciated & starving, or injured children. This does stimulate emotions...but really adds nothing to the "Does A God Exist?" argument that isn't there without the specific descriptions.

What is so illogical that it is actually inane..is that some, that don't even believe in the existence of some Omnimax God, would then question why this nonexistent God doesn't act in some way!
That doesn't make any sense. Why question or get all worked up over the inaction of something that isn't real?!
There is no Deity that demonstrates its cruel insouciance by allowing suffering that could all be solved with a *SNAP*, but simply chooses not to.
So, what's with the all the fervent angst?
Well, I actually know why some are so upset about it...and I've posted it many times: WE ARE MAD AT OURSELVES!!
WE are the "selfish and cruel" that just watch the suffering we COULD do something about, but don't.
How many pairs of shoes do we own, but still buy more? What about something as worthless and frivolously expensive as jewelry...who has some of that? Vacations...for nothing more than our "enjoyment". Two, three, or more, flatscreens. How much money do we spend on sports in this country, both playing and observing? All while people starve...and there is a shortage of research dollars to find the cures for diseases.

I have donated most of the money I've made in my life...but have admited the portion I have retained is an obscene abundance, relative to any reasonable requirement. I bought a whole mountain, and built a huge glass front chalet on it, made from the finest of everything...so I wouldn't be "bothered"...while 3 five cent bowls of rice per day, per person, would save the lives of millions. How many bowls could be purchased with the difference between my estate and a small apartment?
People buy multi-million dollar paintings...just to look at. Ferraris, yachts, a 4th mansion, Rolex watches, and children have 7 or 8 hundred dollar smartphones. We spend hundreds of millions to explore outer space...for not much more than to satisfy our curiosity...instead of buying basic necessities and medical care for the poor. And how much time, effort, and money does mankind spend on militaries and waging war?
And as for other "bad things" in the world: It isn't the fault of the nonexistent Deities that a child is a rape victim...it is HUMANS conducting as rapists.
WE are the "selfish and uncaring Powerful Entities" that COULD do something, but DON'T. There are no EVIL DEITIES doing nothing even though they could..there is only US acting that way.
Any anger should be with ourselves...and not illogically projected upon some made-up Deity Character that does not exist.
I understand what you are saying. My objective here is to challenge the claims made by some. So for me it's a hypothetical thing. Someone says God exists and has all the 'wonderful characteristics and power' and I point out that those alleged characteristics and power are not displayed in real life - in fact, what is displayed in real life is quite the opposite.

I was once asked to help a family in distress but wasn't able to - well, I probably could have done something but doing so would have placed more stress on my finances than I was willing to accept (I really couldn't afford it). So I am in fact guilty of what you are suggesting. I do however make contributions to a few charities to the ends that you mention. But I could do more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Pretty much. Thanks Crashj.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's use religion to solve other problems like world pea-

(Some atheist or other comes along and wastes everyone's time in debate that was answered pages ago)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nobody's time is wasted since no one has to read the thread.
I must agree with phetaroi here.

The thread does not waste anyone's time. We come here for entertainment mostly (well, I do anyway).

Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 PM

5,540 posts, read 3,954,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
*Not?

You know why there are so many starving and suffering humans? Because you didn't give enough to Heifer this year. Guilt, guilt, shaaame~

Or you know, you could stop playing the guilt card on believers, when often nonbelievers are part of the problem.

Or instead of playing the guilt card at all, you could shut up, and give a cow or a goat or a pig. Because this a sight better in the first place than wasting your breath on people who really don't care what you have to say, because they donated rabbits, birds, and bees to help feed such people.

Why is God so uncaring?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x546rxt

Because you have done nothing to help.
We're all part of the problem. Atheist ethical philosopher Peter Singer has argued that people should give away up to a third of their annual salary. Most people do not do this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/peter-s...opy-1428083293

That one's not readable beyond the first paragraph. This one is viewable, assuming you haven't used up your 4-article quota from Philosophy Now...and I'm going to go ahead and assume you haven't. This latter link is from a time when he set the donation bar a bit lower, at the tithing level

https://philosophynow.org/issues/89/...e_a_Bad_Person

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 12-13-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 09:49 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Most of you, if not all, are predicating your beliefs on there being just one god. If we predicate our beliefs on the supposition that there's more than one god (as did most of our ancestors), our world makes a lot more sense, doesn't it?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,363,716 times
What bazarre answers to this thread. If i were the OP i would have quit reading iy.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Most of you, if not all, are predicating your beliefs on there being just one god. If we predicate our beliefs on the supposition that there's more than one god (as did most of our ancestors), our world makes a lot more sense, doesn't it?
Too true. Why else would the OT talk about the god of Israel? This god was not the global god, only the god of Israel. Sure, there was mention of worshipping idols which I supposed to the Israelites seemed strange 'cause they were obviously inanimate objects but there was no mention of other gods not been real. But even today, some Christians have idols in their churches and in their homes.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Our world makes the most sense if it's understood to be nothing more than the byproduct of an effectively (thanks to cognitive limitations) inconceivable number of inanimate physical events.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:22 PM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
As usual, when someone who is struggling with believing in god, the Christians (at least here) tend to attack, while their supposed compassion disappears.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Too true. Why else would the OT talk about the god of Israel? This god was not the global god, only the god of Israel. Sure, there was mention of worshipping idols which I supposed to the Israelites seemed strange 'cause they were obviously inanimate objects but there was no mention of other gods not been real. But even today, some Christians have idols in their churches and in their homes.
Each tribe had their own god or gods. I'm far from an expert on ancient religions, but Yahweh was one of many competing gods. Baal was another one. I'm sure TRANSPONDER or someone more knowledgeable on the topic could elaborate here.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,875,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it's extreme arrogance when a human being speaks of God the way you did.

He spoke and created the universe, you, me, and everything in it. He takes human beings that hate him and he regenerates their hearts, paying for their sin himself by stepping into creation and dying on a cross.

He is good. To suggest otherwise is pure arrogance.
Well...so you believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
God doesn't want mechanical lemmings and slaves. He gives us freedom of choice. He doesn't want us forced to come to him. He wants to see that we're interested in him, and want him.
...but if we are not interested in him he throws us into a lake of fire. Such logic! Free will means being able to choose something WITHOUT being punished for the choice made. Your god's 'free will' is rather like the abusive husband saying to his suffering wife... 'You have the free choice to leave me but if you do I'll shoot you.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality