Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,622,543 times

Advertisements

When I heard of it yesterday I poured myself another cup of coffee and went out on the lanai and had a cigarette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM

20,289 posts, read 13,686,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Anyone hiking 15 miles from downtown Honolulu isn't going to be harmed directly by the detonation of a North Korean nuclear weapon there, unless they happen to be looking at it when it goes and are blinded. Even five miles away, few would be killed instantly.
I understand that, but was thinking more in terms of NK targeting Honolulu and actually hitting, say, Waimea Canyon on Kauai.

There is also EMP to consider. If I were in a helicopter when the alert arrived, I'd want to land within 15 minutes or risk losing control due to EM effects, should the detonation occur even some miles away.

I will say, however, that NK simply achieving some minimal theoretical ICBM capabilities doesn't equate to them being very effective. Also, rhetoric that Kim is "insane" is simply not true. He's shown ample evidence that he understands launching one relatively untested and small nuke will result in dozens of well-tested and big nukes heading his way, as well as an all-out war he knows he cannot win. NK society is all about having and saving "face". His nuclear arsenal is of psychological value to his people in their desire to feel taken seriously and that they have options, and his desire to remain in power. It is of little actual military value, unless he feels backed into a corner and has nothing to lose. The only reason we're even theorizing / gaming this is, Trump has been escalating things to where a series of accidents or misperceptions could result in him feeling just that: he has to launch and has nothing to lose.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:45 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,541,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Pray and repent , and ask forgiveness for those about to die , and ask forgiveness for the monsters who use these bombs , and then never look at the mushroom cloud
I never thought about asking forgiveness for the
bomb throwers. I don't believe I would have done that.
I would have just connected to
what I call Reality...peace ... and hung onto that like a fireman does a pole.
Thank you for giving me a response as a fellow "believer"...it is refreshing for me.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 4 days ago)

11,301 posts, read 7,339,431 times
I'd enjoy the (potential) last minutes or hours of life. I'd thank God for my life, and every day that I got to spend here on Earth. I'd be ready to go "home" too.

Now, if it turned out to be a false drill, I'd be happier still, and be thankful. I'd pay a little more attention to the present time, and making the most of the day, and upcoming days.

I probably also give the finger in the direction of Washington! LOL

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-14-2018 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,181,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I will be in the islands later this spring so I will have an opportunity to maybe experience that for all I know.

Hawaii is described in one article as "woefully vulnerable" to nuclear attack. Fallout shelters are no longer considered practical; in the islands, there would only be about 15 minutes of warning for a missile coming from NK, so the best strategy is just to locate the best shelter in or near your hotel in advance. Which, of course, no one is going to do. And that's no help if you're 15 miles away hiking, or taking a helicopter tour or something.

I personally have no significant unfinished business and would be content to accept possible end of life and be serene about it. I have lived a long time and had plenty of experiences. I would feel badly for young people who could not make that rationalization. But not for myself.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of getting badly burned and taking days or weeks to die of that and/or radiation poisoning, than about actually dying. As would any sane person, I would hope for a quick and merciful end. It is not death that bothers me, but, potentially, the PROCESS of dying.
I agree...

Old 01-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I probably also give the finger in the direction of Washington! LOL
Yes the feds, at least partly, for fomenting a situation that makes such an attack plausible and has prompted Hawaii, a particularly vulnerable state due to its proximity to NK, to reinstitute cold war-era warning systems.

But the actual malfunction was, as these things normally are, simply bad design. Some poor functionary in the Hawaii state government settled into his morning shift, and executed his first task of each day. Or so he thought.

Turns out that these two options are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ON THE SAME MENU. Apparently without an "Are you sure" modal dialog in front of the critical one:

1) Test early warning system
2) Send early warning

The person who should actually be drawn and quartered is the designer of that menu, along with whoever approved the acceptance testing and drew up the procedures for using the system.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM

50,147 posts, read 20,935,171 times
Actually, I would probably go for the paper bag over the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5m6nXRGB4

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

199 posts, read 166,819 times
Try to find an underground subway station, basement, or climb down into a storm drain. Keep in mind that there will be fallout afterwards, so you may be there for a good long while, possibly dying in there.

So basically, do whatever you can and then PRAY.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,541,380 times
I got the impression they had "minutes"...only minutes!
That's why I thought of pulling off the highway....whch is the only way I would have even known,
cuz of the flashing Alert signs...minutes!
Whose basement?
What subway in Hawaii?
SEE, what I mean...in a car in traffic...and you see the Alert!
Wow!
I really want to hear more from the people that went thru that!

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I got the impression they had "minutes"...only minutes!
That's why I thought of pulling off the highway....whch is the only way I would have even known,
cuz of the flashing Alert signs...minutes!
Whose basement?
What subway in Hawaii?
SEE, what I mean...in a car in traffic...and you see the Alert!
Wow!
I really want to hear more from the people that went thru that!
They are probably still busy cleaning their pants out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality