Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times

Advertisements

As a believer in God...so that's
why it's in this Religion section...but the Mods can do whatever they wish...

So, you are on a highway with alerts flashing ..'Nuclear missile headed here'...like yesterday in HI.
What the heck?

I'm thinking I would go to the very next exit, and find a non congested place
to pull way off road and go inside...within...breath and feel what I would call...an attunement;
Get aligned fast with What has always been and What will always be and is everywhere...
(Ya don't have to be Christian or Hindu or any denomination, in other words)...
That thing that is complete peace.

I really placed myself in that situation...and I must say, that's what I would do!
No, phone calls for me! Ha!
I would also be thinking, "Thank God I have Practiced the Presence, His Divine Presence, for over 40 years!
So, I can link in fast!"

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:07 PM

234 posts, read 162,511 times
I'd probably be out surfing if I still lived in Hawaii....and I would just continue surfing. Might as well die doing something I loved

Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,491,966 times
Take shelter.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM

15,900 posts, read 6,370,464 times
I've missed you around here Ms. H.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:52 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Take shelter.
Hi Hulsker,
But... there are 100s of people around you on a highway...that's how people knew...not like they listen to the radio anymore!
Is there shelter from a nuclear blast on a small island?
Anything else you could think of in that case? With respect...
There was one man that had 2 children in 2 diff places....he was torn...which to spend his last minutes with...gee,
What people went thru...would make a good 20/20 show...

HI L8Gr8, xo

Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM

20,104 posts, read 13,560,465 times
I will be in the islands later this spring so I will have an opportunity to maybe experience that for all I know.

Hawaii is described in one article as "woefully vulnerable" to nuclear attack. Fallout shelters are no longer considered practical; in the islands, there would only be about 15 minutes of warning for a missile coming from NK, so the best strategy is just to locate the best shelter in or near your hotel in advance. Which, of course, no one is going to do. And that's no help if you're 15 miles away hiking, or taking a helicopter tour or something.

I personally have no significant unfinished business and would be content to accept possible end of life and be serene about it. I have lived a long time and had plenty of experiences. I would feel badly for young people who could not make that rationalization. But not for myself.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of getting badly burned and taking days or weeks to die of that and/or radiation poisoning, than about actually dying. As would any sane person, I would hope for a quick and merciful end. It is not death that bothers me, but, potentially, the PROCESS of dying.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
Get some sticks and make smores.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
tell my, hey, lets go out and watch this, its gona be cool.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:34 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi Hulsker,
But... there are 100s of people around you on a highway...that's how people knew...not like they listen to the radio anymore!
Is there shelter from a nuclear blast on a small island?
Most of North Korea's nuclear tests have in the 20 kit or less range, about the size of the two atomic weapons used in Japan. And most of the people even within the city limits of Hiroshima and Nagasaki survived. While North Korea's most recent test was an order of magnitude larger - it was either a fusion device or a boosted fission shot - this appears to be the edge of North Korean technology that they have not refined, and certainly not to the point of miniaturization and built to withstand the rigors of a sub-orbital ride on a ballistic missile. Even if we assume a device as large as 280 kt - the high-end estimates of the yield of North Korea's last test - Diamond Head and HNL are still outside even the third-degree burn radius of an attack centered on downtown Honolulu.

If you're really close, which varies depending on the yield, then you're finished. But a well-shielded person can survive. The closest survivor at Hiroshima was at work in a bank 300 meters from the point below the air-burst. Simply going in the basement will protect you from the radiation that pulses out at light-speed at detonation, as well as the blast wave. So will being behind a ridge, and the Hawaiian islands are mountainous volcanic rock deeply recessed with canyons.

Simple geometry means that more people will be one or three or five miles away from the blast than within a mile of it. One of the worst imaginable deaths would be to receive the lethal dose of radiation from the initial burst, along with accompanying burns, and then die a horrible, lingering death. You're darn right that I'd be taking shelter.

Most of Oahu would be completely unaffected from the burst radiation, thermal radiation, and the blast wave. Even the fallout - it happens that the prevailing winds in the Hawaiian islands are the trades out of the northeast, while the chain itself runs NW-SE. The other islands would be unaffected as well by the detonation. Of course, the damage to the civil infrastructure would be immense, and there would be immediate myriad issues. But then, there would also be relief as could be mounted from the other islands, as well as from the mainland.

Further, the chances of North Korea putting a missile on-target (presumably, Honolulu or one of the military targets, mostly on Oahu) are uncertain but probably not great. And a miss might well result in a detonation over the water, most of the surrounding area being ocean, after all, and not land. Even if targeting was on, getting the device to properly detonate is no small feat. It's a lot easier to get something so complex as a nuclear weapon to work when you can build it with no size restrictions and test it at your leisure, as opposed to having to miniaturize it and get it to detonate automatically after a hypersonic, sub-orbital ride atop a rocket. It might even be intercepted, though testing of the AMB systems has been spotty and performance in combat conditions would almost certainly be worse. Still, the point is that even had North Korea launched a missile at Honolulu, if or where it would land and if it would work as intended are big question marks.

A lot of people think that nuclear war means instant death. In fact, even were the U.S. and the Russians to throw everything they had at each other all at once, most people would not be killed by either the detonations or subsequent lingering radiation. Post-conflict social breakdown, famine, etc. would surely add to the toll, of course.

I've noticed, too, that a lot of people are prone to claim that they'd just wait to die. But what happens when one is behind a keyboard postulating and how one reacts in real-life tends to vary considerably. I'll bet you'll find very few examples of Hawaiians who simply walked out into the open to die instantly yesterday. When push comes to shove, the vast majority of people have a very strong will to live. People in Hiroshima and Nagasaki are testament to that, as are those who have lived through all manner of horrific events because they were bound and determined to survive. I have a wife and three children. I'm not willing to concede that I won't see them again if I have a reasonable chance to live and do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I will be in the islands later this spring so I will have an opportunity to maybe experience that for all I know.

Hawaii is described in one article as "woefully vulnerable" to nuclear attack. Fallout shelters are no longer considered practical; in the islands, there would only be about 15 minutes of warning for a missile coming from NK, so the best strategy is just to locate the best shelter in or near your hotel in advance. Which, of course, no one is going to do. And that's no help if you're 15 miles away hiking, or taking a helicopter tour or something.
Anyone hiking 15 miles from downtown Honolulu isn't going to be harmed directly by the detonation of a North Korean nuclear weapon there, unless they happen to be looking at it when it goes and are blinded. Even five miles away, few would be killed instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'd be more concerned about the possibility of getting badly burned and taking days or weeks to die of that and/or radiation poisoning, than about actually dying. As would any sane person, I would hope for a quick and merciful end. It is not death that bothers me, but, potentially, the PROCESS of dying.
And I think what most people fail to realize is that a nuclear attack, even a strategic attack on a major metro area by a major power (such as Russia), is going to cause far more injuries (of various degrees) than it is immediate deaths.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,050,503 times
Pray and repent , and ask forgiveness for those about to die , and ask forgiveness for the monsters who use these bombs , and then never look at the mushroom cloud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality