Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times

Advertisements

He's a believer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's a believer now.
You mean he repented on his deathbed?

Old 03-15-2018, 07:09 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,996 times
Quote:
He's a believer now.
His work will live on and inspire others. I am sure he always believed in his abilities, his theories, and the science behind them, even in death. God has no problem with Atheists,

He was able to accomplish because people cared for him. They bathed, and dressed and met his physical needs. I consider those people real heroes.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You mean he repented on his deathbed?
I mean he knows there is a God, if he didn't do so prior to death. He now knows.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,228,035 times
Quote:
I mean he knows there is a God, if he didn't do so prior to death. He now knows.
How's that again? Death = absence of life = no more knowing! Very simple really!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,996 times
Quote:
So, fill out the story about what you think he knows. Let us make this interesting. I will start you off.

It was a dark and blustery night.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
How's that again? Death = absence of life = no more knowing! Very simple really!
The moment he died he was confronted by God. IF he knew Jesus, he was welcomed into his arms for eternity. I hope he did, seriously. But nothing I have read indicates he had any kind of faith. If not, then he was punished for his sin.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
What John lennox was illustrating how half baked Hawkins worldview was once he stepped away from his science and into theology and philosophy.
Lennox did not write that article. Nor was there anything in that article that could be described as half baked.

If you are referring to the "Atheism is a fantasy for people who are afraid of the light" quote, I can immediately see problems with it. Hawkins argument was based on evidence that people are afraid of dying. Lennox's response, while clever, ignores the evidence. We're not afraid of gods, we don't believe in them.

Quote:
He lacked God given common sense.
Considering the frequent failures of 'common sense', that must make your god rather inept. Fortunately man invented logic and science to get around the failings of your god.

Quote:
Which is why Hawkins disliked philosophy, its the area where common sense turns raw scientific data into human experience.
In that sense science fails and its no longer science. Its scientism.
That is so irrational, I would have just ignored it. But it does get tiring having people straw man 'scientism' just to use it as an ad hominem.

Quote:
Brilliant men make fools of themselves as only they can.
And there's the failure of the Issac Newton argument, where any intelligent atheist is blindly making a fool of the themselves (wink, wink), but Issac Newton believed in a god, therefore he wasn't (wink, wink).

Old 03-15-2018, 08:04 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
The moment he died he was confronted by God. IF he knew Jesus, he was welcomed into his arms for eternity. I hope he did, seriously. But nothing I have read indicates he had any kind of faith. If not, then he was punished for his sin.
What an immoral god you believe in.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,644,541 times
I find that there’s really not very much to fear at all from an atheist. They don’t tend to form large groups with driven ideologies. The biggest group, and probably most active, used to be American Atheists and the most they did that could have a societal impact was bring the occasional lawsuit over church/state issues or engage in some limited outreach programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality