Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 PM

10,536 posts, read 6,175,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Faith is believing something that you know isnt true.

Con men (confidence men) use this ability to swindle naive people who don't even realize that such a thing is possible.

The definition of faith is believing without evidence.

That's what faith is.
If there was evidence, you wouldn't have faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,094,801 times
Quote:

Con men (confidence men) use this ability to swindle naive people who don't even realize that such a thing is possible.
When you “know” something then it’s not faith anymore.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:02 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I know God exists, but I haven’t seen Him. I have faith that I will see Him one day.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:20 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,016,284 times
Quote:

No. That's not correct. We place faith in engineers 24/7.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is indeed plenty of evidence, but none of it stand up in debate.

That is whae Faith takes over and you you play the "Holy Spirit" card which is, as I have said a Faith that God is putting all the right answers into your head.

And I mean YOUR head, because those Christians who hold different views to you presumably aren't getting Inspired truth. Don't you see what's wrong with your whole way of thinking?
Thanks for your post. There is no point in debating the evidence of God with someone whose mind is closed to the possibility of God. And the Holy Spirit is not a card, but a fact and experience of those in a relationship with God.

So tell me why mathematics can describe so much in life and the way things work in the universe? Tell me why DNA is actually written code that determines how a life form is designed? This is not the stuff of random chance. Two examples of evidence. The sort that the skeptic will say it must be anything but God. Sorry, but “I don’t know, but it can’t be God” is not very convincing.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,094,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I know God exists, but I haven’t seen Him. I have faith that I will see Him one day.
If someone has died, met God and then comes back to life, and claims that he “knows” God exists? Then perhaps I may see some weight in his statement.

In my opinion, we as humans are not capabale to “see”’God in our life time.

And if there is such a God out there that shows himself to some selected few people in order to make them believe, and leaves the rest, then perhaps it’s not a very fair God. IMO.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,069,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It comes from an old film, I believe.

No, It's a mark Twain quote.
I see you have faith in twains quips.
He was brilliant for sure.

"I think the goodness, the justice, and the mercy of God are manifested in His works: I perceive that they are manifested toward me in this life; the logical conclusion is that they will be manifested toward me in the life to come, if there should be one."

Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
If someone has died, met God and then comes back to life, and claims that he “knows” God exists? Then perhaps I may see some weight in his statement.

In my opinion, we as humans are not capabale to “see”’God in our life time.

And if there is such a God out there that shows himself to some selected few people in order to make them believe, and leaves the rest, then perhaps it’s not a very fair God. IMO.
As the result of working the steps in alcoholics anonymous i experienced conscious contact with the spiritual entity that religion calls God.

As you admit, its your opinion.

You can experience god but you will not pay the price of admission, I have never met an atheist who is willing to lose face to save their azz.
In the end one of the two must go.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:

Do you know know what the word Fallacious means?

Don’t make stuff up....

Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yes it is.
Most people in religion have never had a direct personal experience with god, they just believe
That's blind faith.

I experienced god.
My faith is experiential.i wonder why atheists try to teach anything about spirituality, you cannot give what you do not possess.

Just as a river cannot flow higher than its own headwater, a person cannot guide beyond their own spiritual experience.
Yet you guys assume you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality