Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:46 PM

7,026 posts, read 6,954,966 times

Advertisements

I dont think anyone considers their words carefully enough. There are plenty of ways to say something without hurting, however the asker of the question has to take responsibility for their question too. Can they handle the answer - whatever it is?

Many reactions to these answers are emotional in nature which is something we ourselves can manage if only we recognise this. But, most people think we react to what someone else has said. Yes, we do, but we have the choice to react or not, just like we have the choice whether we think a joke is funny or not or whether we feel an emotuion when reading a story in a book. It is NOT the other person who makes us offended but ourselves who process it that way.

So, it is often our own life-filters and beliefs which determine how we react to a response to a question we ask and it is our personal responsibility to be mature enough to handle the answer. I am sure there will be people who disagree with this view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 AM

8,792 posts, read 8,206,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I posted this in a similar thread on the Psychology forum.

There is also lying by omission, not saying what you know because it may be hurtful. The example I gave is that of a friend of mine whose brother-in-law was killed in an accident a few years ago at around 40 years of age. He was at a red light when a man who had some type of seizure while driving came through the intersection and slammed into his car.

Whenever my friend mentions her BIL's death, she says, "At least we are comforted by the fact that he died instantly. Instantly. Never knew what hit him."

Except that my niece's husband was the first EMT to arrive at the scene. Steve's chest was crushed and he was drowning in his own blood but he was conscious and kept trying to talk. He died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Am I ever going to correct my friend about her belief that her sister's husband died "instantly"? No. Never.
Yours is an example where it is morally right - or even an imperative - to lie. What gets me is all the cases where it is morally wrong to lie - and people know it - but do so anyway. That is why I wanted to get input in the religious sub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality