Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:21 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,621,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Thank you for dodging. I didn't think you had the guts to face the implications. You are pperfectly happy with your idea that "Faith only" is some kind of intellectual assessment without any basis in action because you don't want to THINK that dedication to a way of life IS what Jesus and most of Christianity teaches regardless of how well any particular group may perform. I'm sorry you apparently had a "Reform Theology" experience. Go back to sleep.
So in this gish gallop of words, exactly where is your reference to "righteousness" and "commitment"? Your words above no to relation to your original assertions at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 12:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,975,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So in this gish gallop of words, exactly where is your reference to "righteousness" and "commitment"? Your words above no to relation to your original assertions at all.
You might be able to figure out the connection if you actually had the courage to do as I requested. Heck, start with a dictionary definition of commitment if nothing else.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,621,447 times
Quote:
You might be able to figure out the connection if you actually had the courage to do as I requested. Heck, start with a dictionary definition of commitment if nothing else.
Look, I never used the word "commitment" in any context. So I have no idea what you want.

But I'll play your game. Here you go:

Definition of commitment
1 a : an agreement or pledge to do something in the future a commitment to improve conditions at the prison; especially : an engagement to assume a financial obligation at a future date
b : something pledged the commitment of troops to the war
c : the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionally impelled a commitment to a cause
2 a : an act of committing to a charge or trust: such as (1) : a consignment to a penal or mental institution filed a petition for commitment (2) : an act of referring a matter to a legislative committee

Go ahead try and tell us how the heck this applies to the issue we first discussed, that of "righteousness". It's like trying to connect the dots between fried green tomatoes and fleeing squid ink.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:35 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
And you have every right to . I wasn't addressing that. My post you quoted was aimed specifically at the latter part of post 65 where the poster attempted to dictate how Christians must believe about children and accountability. Said posters opinion has no relevance on how others must believe , that's what my point was about .

The poster I quoted wasn't distinguishing between the deed and the person. That's my point, not any semantical difference between men and people . The verse doesn't call the people dirty rags, as the poster tried to imply , but calls their deeds as worthless as dirty rags as an attempt to gain righteousness. Big big difference between the two, just as we ourselves can consider a persons actions in one area as worthless without meaning the person themselves are worthless as human beings . The person I quoted attempted to misquote scripture to bash believers . I corrected the misquote .

You are taking my response into a different context than I gave it in. The poster I quoted made the claim that abortion shouldn't be a theological problem since the aborted fetus would presumably go to heaven. I responded with the post about killing Christians since they will also go to heaven . That isn't a defense of the doctrine of accountability but simply pointing out that one can oppose both abortion and the murder of Christians as wrong morally even though both victims are believed to go to heaven as a result of being killed .

BTW, huge LOTR fan here . First read the books in high school . Jacksons movies were the first I thought did justice to the book it was based on. The Harry Potter movies failed at that task .
Ok. That'll teach me to jump in to Other dialogues half -way. I may get the context all wrong. Glad to find another LoR fan.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:46 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah. But I bet she's one of those good ones.
No good atheist - by definition.

My Younger sis. got married to one of my friends after she'd been divorced from a hasty teenage marriage. The Anglican minister refused to do the wedding so she found one that would (Methodist) and stuck with that.

My computer wiz, niece (she has a degree in this crap) went to a Catholic school because it was the only one not turning out idiots and thugs (broken state school system, broken NHS, broken industry, broken politics) and does sounds system for Gigs (I helped her set the stuff up when I was in London, broken by the Financial collapse of 2007-11) and mainly with Gospel -music bands. A lot of churches. Her mother sings in the Church choir. Neither of them are believers. Possibly sortagod agnostics. We hardly ever discuss religion. People in the UK simply don't.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:47 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,975,812 times
Quote:
Look, I never used the word "commitment" in any context. So I have no idea what you want.

But I'll play your game. Here you go:

Definition of commitment
1 a : an agreement or pledge to do something in the future a commitment to improve conditions at the prison; especially : an engagement to assume a financial obligation at a future date
b : something pledged the commitment of troops to the war
c : the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionally impelled a commitment to a cause
2 a : an act of committing to a charge or trust: such as (1) : a consignment to a penal or mental institution filed a petition for commitment (2) : an act of referring a matter to a legislative committee

Go ahead try and tell us how the heck this applies to the issue we first discussed, that of "righteousness". It's like trying to connect the dots between fried green tomatoes and fleeing squid ink.
Then let me remind you that the initial response was in answer to your declaration:

Quote:
James 2:24 New International Version (NIV)

"You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

Just stating by faith is not substantiated by the bible.
Trust me, I've studied it, including at University. I know the Bible.... I'm an atheist because of it.
And your request to define "righteousness."
Quote:
Under the Mosaic Covenant and the original quote it was defined as action according to the Law, but we can see from the circumstances of the citation that the FORM was not enough, and THAT was the reason Jeremiah recognized the need for a "New Covenant" which he visualized AS such a commitment: "written on their hearts" (that does NOT mean "memorized.")

Under the "New Covenant" which Jesus established it IS that commitment in faith. Berean Study Bible:
"For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
So please note that my responses have ALWAYS been about action and not about "faith alone." You seem to want to talk only about the Reform Theology of "Faith alone" as if that were what Christianity is all about, which you even state is not biblical.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 AM

88,905 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
No good atheist - by definition.

My Younger sis. got married to one of my friends after she'd been divorced from a hasty teenage marriage. The Anglican minister refused to do the wedding so she found one that would (Methodist) and stuck with that.

My computer wiz, niece (she has a degree in this crap) went to a Catholic school because it was the only one not turning out idiots and thugs (broken state school system, broken NHS, broken industry, broken politics) and does sounds system for Gigs (I helped her set the stuff up when I was in London, broken by the Financial collapse of 2007-11) and mainly with Gospel -music bands. A lot of churches. Her mother sings in the Church choir. Neither of them are believers. Possibly sortagod agnostics. We hardly ever discuss religion. People in the UK simply don't.
Speak for yourself! MOST of my family are atheists, or if they have any spiritual connection, it isn't Christian.

But I liked your stories. People who are atheists often have connections with religion one way or another. The night before he died, my brother accepted communion and last rites from a Catholic priest at the hospital. He was an atheist and never a Catholic at any point in his life, but his daughter is, and I believe he did that as one last gift to give her comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality