Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,183,357 times

Advertisements

Is it OK to lie, when it meets with your political goals and view? Or is lying totally intolerable?

Are the Ten Commandments and other "basics" of any religion sacrosanct? Or is it OK to ignore them on those occasions when you want to prove a point?

For what good reason does any group support liars within their own ranks?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-26-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Lying for political or economic gain - nope. Lying to maintain domestic harmony - yep.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:45 PM

50,987 posts, read 24,476,005 times
I think there are reasons to lie, but not for what the OP indicates.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM

19,104 posts, read 27,696,540 times
Well, there is little known thing called egregore. Every group of the same minded of two and more, has one. Then, they all are in egregorial field of influence, as it is bidirectional process. Humans supply energy to egregore, egregore grows and controls humans connected to it. That's one side of why masses of people do sometimes completely irrational things.

Otherwise, a lie is a lie, no matter what sugar coating was placed on it.

Also, don't forget a basic psychological casus. In order to be a successful liar, one has to believe into his lie at least to a certain extent.
A group supports liars for personal gain and for egregore growth.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:51 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think there are reasons to lie, but not for what the OP indicates.
This is an issue that is misunderstood by almost everyone. The idea that everyone is entitled to know the truth about everything is a ludicrous idea. The concept of the need to know is relevant here as is the notion of propriety.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:24 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,993,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Is it OK to lie, when it meets with your political goals and view? Or is lying totally intolerable?
Are the Ten Commandments and other "basics" of any religion sacrosanct? Or is it OK to ignore them on those occasions when you want to prove a point?
For what good reason does any group support liars within their own ranks?
In Scripture I find the telling lies is either: on purpose or not, willful or not, deliberate or not, premeditated or not.
Also, when King David faked insanity at 1st Samuel 21:10-15 he was Not lying but Not divulging what did Not belong to another. So, what David did was Not synonymous with wrongdoing.
Christians would Not give an enemy correct information that the enemy did Not deserve to have.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:30 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,993,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Otherwise, a lie is a lie, no matter what sugar coating was placed on it.
A lie can be a lie, but lies told by mistake, accidently is different from lies told wilfully, deliberately, premeditated.
So, there is No such thing as that little white lie but whether told on purpose or not.
That does Not mean one has to be so blunt that it is being painfully honest.
However, one needs to be careful when using tact.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
A lie can be a lie, but lies told by mistake, accidently is different from lies told wilfully, deliberately, premeditated.
So, there is No such thing as that little white lie but whether told on purpose or not.
That does Not mean one has to be so blunt that it is being painfully honest.
However, one needs to be careful when using tact.
The New Testament indicates that Jesus lied to his disciples...

10 When he was alone, the Twelve and the others around him asked him about the parables. 11 He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables 12 so that,

“‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’”

(Mark 4)

And then Jesus declared to the high priest...

“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied. “I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. (John 18:20)

Joh 7:8 You go up to this feast. I am not yet going up to the feast, for My time has not yet been fulfilled.
Joh 7:9 And saying these things to them, He remained in Galilee.
Joh 7:10 But when His brothers went up, then He also went up to the feast, not openly, but as in secret.

Last edited by Richard1965; 08-26-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
I never lie, period....it goes against my entire being. (Used to when I was stupid and immature, decades ago....so I understand the motivation, it's like a mental sickness, warped rationalizations..)

Yet, I know people lie like rugs...a second nature to them, it's pathological.
They even want me to lie FOR them! I always say no way, jose.

Justification?...I believe they are immature in their spiritual understanding, that's all.
And they will grow out of it one day.
Funny, but being lied to doesn't bother me...people do things to protect themselves from imaginary things, based in fear; I just think it's immature and shrug my shoulders.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:21 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Ten commandment says do not bear false witness against your neighbor which is basically lying , where as Disciple Peter lied about knowing Jesus to save his life , and Jesus forgave His lying ...... Then there is white lies which people will say ``that's a beautiful dress you got on , where it actually looks bad , what do you do ..... Then the media today which got to the lying point on not reading or hearing any of it as it is all garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality