Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:35 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I mean, the guy could walk on water and turn bread into wine. Why not?
LOL, no no no, water into wine.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Perhaps he was referring to something Einstein did, not Jesus.
Quote:
A brilliant mathematician dead because he didn't use a seat belt. (Which of course happened long after the book/movie.)
A vid (I believe I posted it) began by saying how wonderful it would have been to have lived during the time Einstein was doing making his discoveries.

!914 -18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:36 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Sorry...I wonder if he can help me with my memory? I've been saying the Lord's Prayer every night since I was 5 or so.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
I mean, the guy could walk on water and turn bread into wine. Why not?
So the story goes.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So the story goes.
Only according to John. Odd that the story that everyone knows was never considered worthy of mention by any of the synoptic writers.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Jesus is almost as popular as the Beatles were in the 1960s, and that is saying something. Jesus is loved all over the world.

But why? Is it because his teachings are amazing and will transform your life? Is it because of his great wisdom and profound thoughts? Did he bring new insights to humanity?

I don't think that is why.

I appreciate Jesus and I value the ideas he expressed. I don't consider myself a Christian, but I definitely sympathize with the basic ideas -- the importance of faith in God, the need for salvation, etc.

However, I have always been interested in comparative religion, and I don't think what Jesus taught was really special or unique. I think there have been many Jesuses in all times and places. I think he was a sort of shaman or prophet, a mystic who was able to communicate with the Father God.

I guess Jesus had maybe thousands of followers among the Jews. He never tried to teach any non-Jews, did not travel to other countries. He would have been forgotten a while after he died.

However, the pharisee Saul had a vision that convinced him Jesus was something special. Saul became Paul, the founder of the Christian church. He traveled to Greece (and I forget where else) and made converts.

The Christians were hated and persecuted by the Romans, but then one Roman emperor decided the Christian God would help him win wars, so the Roman Empire became Christian. The Romans conquered Europe, and forced everyone to be Christian.

Rome fell, Europe rose. There were many European colonies, including the ones in America. Native people were converted to Christianity.

The USA became a great world power. The USA is, and always was, predominately Christian.

The greatest world power is Christian -- Christianity must be a powerful religion.

So that's how a local shaman/prophet became almost as famous as the Beatles in the 1960s.

I am NOT trying to minimize Christianity and all it stands for. But the things Jesus said were probably said by many others. And maybe they were said better by others.

Jesus didn't want to be crucified, didn't know ahead of time that was his fate, was not intending to be the world's blood sacrifice.

Jesus didn't come back to life after 3 days. At least we have no reliable reason for thinking that he did.

Jesus wasn't the biological son of the Jewish God. He called God his Father, because that's what everyone called the Jewish God, and we still do.

I believe Jesus is gaining in popularity because of his FREE FISH DINNERS and great WINE...

MERCY also has much to do with it as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Sorry...I wonder if he can help me with my memory? I've been saying the Lord's Prayer every night since I was 5 or so.
now i lay me down to sleep...?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
now i lay me down to sleep...?
"where did I put my teeth?...oh *Bleep*."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe Jesus is gaining in popularity because of his FREE FISH DINNERS and great WINE...

MERCY also has much to do with it as well.
Charity handouts with prayers and Tracts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality