Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 PM

241 posts, read 95,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If you read Job again more carefully, you will see that he lost his faith. Then got it back.
job never lost his faith. as a righteous man, he inquired the reason of his suffering. he never lost his faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 12:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Jesus said to ONE guy...sell your stuff if YOU want to follow me.
He was teaching THAT one guy.

Just sayin...if everyone were meant to sell all their stuff he and his merry men would not have been put up
in so many homes.
I don't buy it. Saying that something you like is universal teaching whilst something you don't like is only meant for the person that is being spoken too is just a cop-out for not doing what you don't want to do. AS Spiros pointed out, you are also told to give to anyone that asks. How many Christians do that? You are told that if someone steals from you, you are to give them more. How many Christians do that? You are told that if you are robbed, you musn't try to get your things back. How many Christians don't bother to call the police. With Christians I see the same need for justice and revenge that the rest of us have.

There are also numerous bible passages telling you not to bother about money as god will provide for you, just like he does for the birds. If that is the case then why aren't Christians giving away everything to the poor (as instructed) and relying on their god to provide for them as he said he would?

If you are going to pull that old.. 'It wasn't meant for me. It was only meant for the person Jesus was talking to', then we are going to have to go through the bible weeding out all of Jesus' teaching that were spoken only to the disciples ...and throw them out as not being meant for us.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I don't buy it. Saying that something you like is universal teaching whilst something you don't like is only meant for the person that is being spoken too is just a cop-out for not doing what you don't want to do. AS Spiros pointed out, you are also told to give to anyone that asks. How many Christians do that? You are told that if someone steals from you, you are to give them more. How many Christians do that? You are told that if you are robbed, you musn't try to get your things back. How many Christians don't bother to call the police. With Christians I see the same need for justice and revenge that the rest of us have.

There are also numerous bible passages telling you not to bother about money as god will provide for you, just like he does for the birds. If that is the case then why aren't Christians giving away everything to the poor (as instructed) and relying on their god to provide for them as he said he would?

If you are going to pull that old.. 'It wasn't meant for me. It was only meant for the person Jesus was talking to', then we are going to have to go through the bible weeding out all of Jesus' teaching that were spoken only to the disciples ...and throw them out as not being meant for us.
He was trying to prove a point...

Old 10-22-2018, 01:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Maybe. But he also said if someone asks for something you have to give it to them, and more. And he also said a rich person can't get into heaven.

Buddha also said you have to get rid of everything and have no worldly attachments.
How many of us can do that? I'm not even trying.
Actually, Buddha said let go of attachment and mental cravings for worldly possessions., nothing about getting rid of everything...big diff.
Monks have no possesions, tho, their choice.

Jesus didn't say the rich can't get into heaven...but it made it hard. Big diff. Matt 19:24
Priests and nuns give up possesson, tho., their choice.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:22 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
I see! So just when are Christians going to follow this teaching...along with the teaching that they should sell all their possessions and give the money to the poor.
That is what I would say.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:42 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Not everyone is going to get to a place of selling all you own to give to the widows of Israel, but there is a plan in place for those who go all the way. The song of songs is about getting to that place where it says,'' O daughters of Jerusalem, do not seek love until it is time. This plan set in place after a person has become very mature in knowing the laws and knowing the plan just as Jesus followed the plan, and Jesus followed the same plan that Moses followed, the same plan that Elijah was shown. Jesus was matured in his own walk and understanding and had come to the point of his 40 day fast where he was tempted, and this began a 42 month walk where he walked out as a prophet and he had a set amount of days as walking as a prophet, and then he was introduced as a priest who had a certain amount of days walkìng as a priest until the very day of his coronation where he became a king. He rides the donkey as a king and people were putting branches before him as a king on the day of his coronation.

Jesus was following a set and known plan, it's just not known to everyone, but everyone is in the plan. There is a 7 year walk where Jesus walked his 42 months in becoming a king but his rule is still to come where Jesus MUST FINISH THE 7 YEAR PLAN.

Jesus came walking as a servant where he had no place to rest his head, and his homeless sight was on the mount of Olives each night.

Giving up all you own to feed the poor widows of Jerusalem is not about suffering or sacrificing for God, it is about Revelation.

When a person gets to a point where he is matured in the scriptures, he begins this walk by selling all he owns and now he relies on God 100 percent, he has no worries.

It isn't about suffering for God, it is about the revelation of the fact that you have now inherited the Earth. You cannot out give God, there is no way to do it. You give up all you own to the widows and needy of Israel and your life is going to changd in such a profound way that all the people around you will look on in utter disbelief. You haven't lost everything, you have just inherited the Earth where people you don't even know will cast cash at your feet, they will turn over cars and houses not even knowing why they are so compelled to do so.

Jesus still has 3 and a half years left in his walk where he came as a servant walking his 42 months as a servant until he was ordained as a king, and he still has his second season to fulfill where he comes to rule as a king. Jesus comes to rule as king in finishing his second season inside people as they themselves begin their 42 month walk, they go all the way to a symbolic death where Jesus comes to them when they are ready to walk in the fall holy days. Everyone is in their 42 month walk, but if they don't know the plan or the fact that they are in a race against time, they will never begin their second season. We are to die daily in a Passover lifestyle for 42 momths until we can begin a Tabernacles lifestyle.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-22-2018 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 01:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:

You don't have to buy it. That is how I read it...he didn't tell everyone to give everything away, did he?
And he had a treasurer traveling with the group...do you think Joseph and Mary tossed out all the gifts from the Magi?
Did Jesus say, Get rid of that expensive oil you're rubbing onto my feet?

Im not tooting my own horn, but I am saying, to inspire people, I don't bother about money..I trust God for everything, very apparent when you are self employed, btw!
My every need is given to me..even the $100,000 to pay off my mortgage , that I never had a care about, cuz I trusted He would take care of... that pesky thing...and He did.

I found the guy that stole my bike...right on his front lawn...I told him..you can paint over whatever...but look right there...and said keep it.

There are actually a few of us that practice what Jesus told us to do..and I gotta say...best decision I ever made..to give him my burdens and be detached from things, cares and anxiety. (Paul Phil 4:6)

I try to protect my neighbors by calling the police on theives on my block...don't want them pushing down some old person.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Jesus washed the feet of His disciples , were as in Exodus 30 :17-21 God told Moses ...``You will also make a laver of brass , and his foot also of brass ..... When they go into the tabernacle of the congregation , they will wash with water, that they die not , or when they come near to the alter to minister , to burn offering made by fire on to the Lord ... So they will wash their hands and their feet, that they die not .....``.....................God had Moses wash their hands and feet before they came before the Lord , where as the burnt offering was abolished through Jesus the need to wash the hand ended , but still God needs to wash the feet of His followers , as Jesus said in John 13:8 ``If I don`t wash you , you have no part with me ``

Old 10-24-2018, 09:56 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus washed the feet of His disciples , ...`
No he didn't. If he had done such an impressive symbolic act, surely One of Mark, Matthew or Luke would have mentioned it, wouldn't they?

Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
jesus was not only trying to change ancient traditional thinking and norms, he was teaching that his faith advocated the common good for everybody, not just believers.

the good samaritan didnt inquire to know the injured mans political, social or religious status before helping him.
he just selflessly helped the man who was left to die on the side of the road. he illustrated this when he talked about the 'rules' of the sabbath day in these verses:

Matthew 12:11-12 (WEB)
11 He said to them, “What man is there among you, who has one sheep, and if this one falls into a pit on the Sabbath day, won’t he grab on to it, and lift it out?
12 Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath day.”
As Jews we are required to break a commandment in order to save a life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality