Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi stevie60, Your questions are valid and many ask the same thing.
This is my input: Ask someone that knows.
Or read someone that knows.

Here you will get opinions and speculation from many that don't even know a thing
about how anything works...and thus, you perpetuate the confusion.

That's me told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
[i]
In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. ..
After my neighbour's jihaddist chanting till 2 in the morning last night, I'm looking at making it i6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Oh dang. I wanted to come back as a great white shark. You might be my dinner, nate.
There's a joke. "Reincarnation":- Coming back as the buttonhole in the jacket of the groom at at your widow's wedding. But nobody gets it. Nor the one about the condensed milk that Santa feeds his caribou.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:00 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've never heard a satisfactory explanation from believers in reincarnation for the population explosion. If the same souls are being recycled over and over, howcum the world's population has doubled in such a short time? Who is churning out billions of new souls to inhabit billions of new bodies?*

Rhetorical. I know believers think a god is cranking them out at the heavenly soul factory.

I believe reincarnation is a choice, not a requirement. Not every person shares their soul with another. I do not believe we return as bugs or animals, unless we really, really, want to.

I have two vivid shared past life memories. It was an odd experience.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:

In fact, there are 15 dead people for every person living. We surpassed seven billion dead way back between 8000BC and AD1.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16870579

I lean toward there being "something" to this because of stories from family and friends that are not easily dismissable, but I don't know any more than anybody else does.

A psychic recently told me she saw me washing dishes at what appeared to be a convent in medieval times. She said I was not part of the community that lived there, but that I was thinking that they were really no different from me. That was kind of depressing. The highlight of my past lives was washing dishes?

Did I resent it instead of accepting my fate? Is that why there is no dishwasher in the condo I purchased and I have to wash dishes by hand?

That's what my spiritual growth amounts to over 500 years or so?
I think your condo needs to be reincarnated as one with a dishwasher.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Hi stevie60, Your questions are valid and many ask the same thing.
This is my input: Ask someone that knows.
Or read someone that knows.

Here you will get opinions and speculation from many that don't even know a thing
about how anything works...and thus, you perpetuate the confusion.

If you care to I could give you a list of books privately, just ask.
I started reading about the Afterlife in the 70s...sometimes I think I have read every NDE and
every detailed book written from 'the Other Side' messages.
I myself was shocked to experience a past life "scene" that blew my socks off...and another and another....
all reflecting lessons..and giving me insight into what an amazingly slow learner I am.

PS You willl find out God is not a pr*ck.
Best wishes on your research.

Oh, eventually you will find instructions (books) on how to speed up things so you can finally
'not need' to come back to this place anymore. Sound exciting? It is. Simple instructions in English..
Who would have thought !
Good advice. The subject is so complicated, ultimately beyond human reason. People want simple answers, but these questions require a lot of thought and studying.

The atheist/materialist here only know what they were taught about religion as children, followed by the New Atheists. There are whole worlds of information they have never heard of.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I believe reincarnation is a choice, not a requirement. Not every person shares their soul with another. I do not believe we return as bugs or animals, unless we really, really, want to.

I have two vivid shared past life memories. It was an odd experience.
I read quite a few of these 'past-life memories' when they caught the public imagination. I'd just ask -what made you identify these mental ocurrences as some kind of past life?

Old 10-23-2018, 10:58 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I read quite a few of these 'past-life memories' when they caught the public imagination. I'd just ask -what made you identify these mental ocurrences as some kind of past life?

I do not know what you have read. I have not read up on the experiences of others. I have not sought past life regression by a psychic or medium.

My best description is you are outside of yourself while watching yourself. No drugs involved, either.
The experience was vivid, and strange. The experience was odd.

I can certainly understand your skepticism.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:10 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There's a joke. "Reincarnation":- Coming back as the buttonhole in the jacket of the groom at at your widow's wedding. But nobody gets it. Nor the one about the condensed milk that Santa feeds his caribou.
I got it, I got it!

You'd fit right in with my siblings.

I think I told this one before. A pub owner's dog dies. In his memory, the pub owner cuts off the dead dog's tail, hangs it up behind the bar, and then buries the rest of him. The dog goes to heaven, but St. Peter won't let him in without his tail and sends him back to earth to get it.

The dog shows up at the bar and demands his tail back, but the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't retail spirits here."

Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM

15,976 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Default Reincarnation, suffering

The meaning of the word for reincarnation in sanskrit (punar-janma) is to be "born once again." The goal of life is to stop being born again. Karma is the cause of suffering - natural consequence of our acts (karma) good and bad. Every act has consequences that need to be endured. Once you have discharged the consequences and act in a way that does not cause more consequences, you will merge with the creative energy, or God, and just be in bliss.

So suffering can mean that your karma is being discharged. Think of it as a sort of penance which purifies you, takes you closer to the bliss of never being born again.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:14 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I think your condo needs to be reincarnated as one with a dishwasher.
It had one once. The previous owners must have removed it and put drawers where it used to be. When I bought the place, the inspector noted that and said it would not be difficult to take the drawers out and install a new dishwasher. I've been living alone here except for brief periods when my daughter was between college years or returned from her overseas adventures, so I haven't felt the need.

But I do want it to be enlightened. I plan to get a light for under the cabinet over the sink.

We'd better stop before the mods realize that we're way off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality