Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes, I see. I don't think the ego is all 'bad', btw.

When a little boy jumps into the water a screams,"MOM! Did you see that!!!"
That's ego.
The bad stuff is pride, anger, jealousy, laziness...and so on. Being happy with yourself for a job well done...sure that's ego, no harm...of course, it's better to thank God for giving you the know-how and strength.
Being happy with yourself for a job well done is healthy and normal. Unless it goes a little too far and crosses the line into pride.

Yes it's better to thank God. "Wow, I just hit a home run, aren't I the greatest" should be "Thank you God for acting through me and hitting that awesome home run."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 12:44 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Being happy with yourself for a job well done is healthy and normal. Unless it goes a little too far and crosses the line into pride.

Yes it's better to thank God. "Wow, I just hit a home run, aren't I the greatest" should be "Thank you God for acting through me and hitting that awesome home run."
You think god cares about a baseball game when millions of people starve to death, freeze to death, die in earthquakes and tsunamis, die in floods, die from various diseases. Any kind of god that makes baseball his priority is a petty god undeserving of any worship.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You think god cares about a baseball game when millions of people starve to death, freeze to death, die in earthquakes and tsunamis, die in floods, die from various diseases. Any kind of god that makes baseball his priority is a petty god undeserving of any worship.
Sure, but doesn't it demonstrate how big the ego of such a petty god would be?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Guess you think everything people say is meant to be taken absolutely literally.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:55 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Guess you think everything people say is meant to be taken absolutely literally.
What you said sounded pretty literal to me, especially when many sports figures (including boxers just before they go into the ring to bit the other man into submission) do pray to god just before they get into their sport.

Or, as another example, what about the people who pray to god for a winning lottery ticket?

Sorry for your lack of awareness that all sorts of christians pray for dumb, petty stuff.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
What you said sounded pretty literal to me, especially when many sports figures (including boxers just before they go into the ring to bit the other man into submission) do pray to god just before they get into their sport.

Or, as another example, what about the people who pray to god for a winning lottery ticket?

Sorry for your lack of awareness that all sorts of christians pray for dumb, petty stuff.
My example was not meant to be serious. However, I pray about anything that happens to be important to me. According to my beliefs, my higher power won't get angry because I pray about something that is not of earth shaking importance. Different people can have very different values and priorities.

So you think baseball is unimportant. I don't care about baseball either. But a professional baseball player might care how well he does. If he wants to pray to a god or higher power, or spirit guide, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. And I think most spiritually oriented people would see nothing wrong with praying about what is important to us, even if the whole world doesn't care about it.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:36 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
However, I pray about anything that happens to be important to me.
That is an intrapersonal skill.

Quote:
According to my beliefs, my higher power won't get angry because I pray about something that is not of earth shaking importance.
Believing you know what another entity thinks without an interaction with said entity is the ego you speak of.

Quote:
Different people can have very different values and priorities.
Knowing this shows you have interpersonal skills. Therefore, the middle quote is the one item I would work on if I don't want to fall victim to the tyranny of the ego.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
No more than when I use a divine reference epithet. I could live with "Thank God I scored those last two runs!" but attributing a sporting success to a mythological belief is no more acceptable that praising it when one person is dragged alive out of a tragedy where a hundred died, a pilot gets an airliner down by skill but some want to claim it as a miracle, or 24 hours of cutting -edge medical technology being a success becomes an excuse to do some pamphleteering for Christianity.

We may be biased (in fact I'm sure of it ) but it is an insult to skill and technology to hi -jack the achievement of humans and let a superstition take the credit.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-12-2018 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: than, rather than that. and if i type becasue once more, I'll DO something!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality